Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillnevergiveup

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you have to state why DO in your PS?
Should I save this for the secondary?

Members don't see this ad.

Save it for the secondary. A few schools will ask why osteopathic medicine in the prompt.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless your unique situations warrants it...go ahead...if not leave it out....if you need to see mine, let me know, I did mention DO quite a bit in mine...

let me get this straight...(i think i already know the answer)...you answer the why osteopathic medicine in secondaries...then you have to answer it again during your interview? Wouldn't you give literally the exact same answer?

You can answer it in your PS, you can answer it in your secondaries, and you can answer it in your interview. Or you can just answer it in your secondaries and when they ask you in your interview. In the end, as long as you write a good PS that describes why you want to be a physician, and why you want to do medicine you should be golden. I'm not writing about why D.O. in my PS, and plan to just answer that in my secondaries. It's your decision really.

let me get this straight...(i think i already know the answer)...you answer the why osteopathic medicine in secondaries...then you have to answer it again during your interview? Wouldn't you give literally the exact same answer?

Not exactly. The secondaries add a dimension to your app. So perhaps the "why DO" might come up again in the interview and they want to make sure that what you say makes sense to what you wrote. I would doubt you would state the exact answer again (in face they'd probably know if it's open file) so just restate it in a different way.