• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

increasedmonoamines

May 26, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I'm very new to the student doctor forum! Can anyone provide me any guidance on restrictions for a personal statement for post-bacc/SMP/MS?

For example, I'm aware of what can be too personal in personal statement essays ie. mental illnesses. Is there any other restrictions you would advise?

Also, if a school indicates that the personal statement is 500 words, should I remain in the 500-word capacity, or can I go over this? I've seen a few personal statement examples using 800-900 word counts.

Please answer kindly! Thank you.

Last edited:
About the Ads
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
I'm very new to the student doctor forum! Can anyone provide me any guidance on restrictions for a personal statement for post-bacc/SMP/MS?

For example, I'm aware of what can be too personal in personal statement essays ie. mental illnesses. Is there any other restrictions you would advise?

Also, if a school indicates that the personal statement is 500 words, should I remain in the 500-word capacity, or can I go over this? I've seen a few personal statement examples using 800-900 word counts.

Please answer kindly! Thank you.
Mention you goals and why that program, and what specifically you are looking for in from that program.

Reactions: 1 user
Jun 11, 2010
  1. Non-Student
Thank you for the advice! What is your opinion on expanding beyond 500 word limit?
I can't sugar coat this: I'd say that you had trouble following very simple instructions, or were a special snowflake who thought that the rules didn't apply to themselves.

Really, what part of "500 word limit" don't you understand?

Reactions: 2 users

increasedmonoamines

May 26, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
I can't sugar coat this: I'd say that you had trouble following very simple instructions, or were a special snowflake who thought that the rules didn't apply to themselves.

Really, what part of "500 word limit" don't you understand?

No need to be rude. As I mentioned before, I've seen other examples that have gone over 800-900 words. Have a good day.

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2017
  1. Medical Student
No need to be rude. As I mentioned before, I've seen other examples that have gone over 800-900 words. Have a good day.

were these other examples responding to the same prompt? 800-900 words is WAY over a 500 word limit, and a very bad idea. A few words over (like, 5)? Not gonna hurt you, unless the application format has a strict text-entry cut off.

Reactions: 1 users
Jun 11, 2010
  1. Non-Student
Just because other prompts let you have > 500 words, it doesn't mean that the same applies to a 500 word limit prompt.

increasedmonoamines

May 26, 2017
  1. Pre-Medical
were these other examples responding to the same prompt? 800-900 words is WAY over a 500 word limit, and a very bad idea. A few words over (like, 5)? Not gonna hurt you, unless the application format has a strict text-entry cut off.
Thank you for the clarification. I was really curious since is my first personal statement for graduate programs.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.