Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Personal Statement

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by xoomn, Jul 14, 2002.

1. xoomn

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey guyz,

I would like to know what the Adcom for DO schools look for in the personal statements. I have no clue about this personal statement. Please I need help here. Thank you... ;)

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hobbes01

Hobbes01 Member

I'm not an expert but I just talked about why I wanted to become a doctor and why I wanted to be a D.O.
    I remember a thread awhile back on personal statements...you might want to look for it to get more answers if you don't get a lot of other responses.
    Good luck!

4. vietcongs

vietcongs Senior Member

Make sure you tell them whats important about you and especially why you are interested in :clap: OSTEOPATHIC MEDICINE :clap: (hopefully not b/c you cant get into an allopathic school)

5. oldman

oldman Senior Citizen
    Gold Donor

Attending Physician
  6. AnnaMags

AnnaMags Senior Member

my biggest advice: this is the one place where you can truly stand out from everyone else in the committee's pile. It's always a dispute about how much weight they put on those, but I think it can be a very important factor. It's the one interesting part of an application and can definitely bring up topics of conversation in an interview. DO schools really like conversational interviews from what I can tell.

So, the bottom line is, make yourself seem different--tell about your crazy hobbies, amazing volunteer work, or interesting childhood. Be unique.

Good luck.

7. jhug

jhug 1K Member

ditto to anna's statements....be creative! one guy i know talked about how one of his greatest challenges in life was his voice! when you talk to the guy you can hear why:D it was totally different and creative and admissions loved it!