personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neopentane

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it better to make the ps all fancy and stuff like w/ quotes and all or better to keep it simple and to the point?

Members don't see this ad.

well, you need to point out WHY you want to be a pharmacist. thats not really covered in other areas of the application. they know your stats, grades, etc... but they dont know your passion. this is where you sell yourself. when you write it, write it with your audience in mind... the admissions committee. what do THEY want to hear? quotes are good for effect but more than one, and id call BS. simple and to the point isnt the way to go either. remember, show not tell. give examples in your life. make it personal. good luck!

No quotes.

This is YOUR personal statement - not someone else's personal statement about you.

Be sure to have someone else read it.

Members don't see this ad :)
is it better to make the ps all fancy and stuff like w/ quotes and all or better to keep it simple and to the point?

The personal statement is designed for you to express your desire for pharmacy in a short narrative. You are not trying to be John Stienbeck or Emerson with this piece. So, there is no need or benefit in writing a verbose piece that make you sound full of crap. Adcoms can tell..........;)

I agree with the above. If you do use one, make sure it is short and has a purpose for being there other than trying to show off that you know of "so-and-so". Stay away from cliches. I used a very short quote (four words) in the beginning of my PS, but it was from someone I personally know. It wasn't famous or cliche in any way, and it related to what I was trying to say.

my advisor told me that quotes should be at the very beginning and its sole purpose is to grasp the committee's attention since they read about 50 essays each day (individually). it should also relate to you, and the points you want to make in your essay. good luck!!!!!

ps. i dont believe any part of anybody's essay can be full of crap. it's insulting.

I think that you could always paraphrase what's in a quote without quoting what was said word for word. If the quote is something that really speaks to you, then talk about the meaning of it in your own words, but don't quote it. Does that make sense?

I agree with the above posts in that stay away from cliches. Try to spice up your essay with personal examples.