Personalized Interview Invitation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an interview invitation from my top choice and at the end of the generic invite that goes out to everyone, the PD had added a personalized (very positive) PS. I did rotate at this program. I'm hopeful that this actually means something but I don't know. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an interview invitation from my top choice and at the end of the generic invite that goes out to everyone, the PD had added a personalized (very positive) PS. I did rotate at this program. I'm hopeful that this actually means something but I don't know. What do you guys think?

Could mean something, could mean nothing. In the absence of additional information, everyone's guess is going to be as good as yours. Which program? Who is the PD? What did the PD actually write? etc etc. But if you don't want to disclose that information, then your question is only going to net some useless information.

-AT.

a) Dude, you’re sooo getting ranked #1! Congrats!
b) Let’s see if we can soften the blow to our courtesy invite applicants.
c) Oops! Meant to put that PS on a different invite. Doh!
d) We actually do remember you from your rotation. Look forward to seeing you again.
e) Mind games. Nothing more, nothing less.

It can be quite challenging and stressful, but try to refrain from overanalyzing and reading into everything. Relax. Go on the interview and rock it. Repeat with other programs. Confirm that this particular program is indeed your number one. Rank accordingly. Wait until March 14. Pray you don’t have to scramble. If you don’t, wait again until March 17. Celebrate or drown your sorrows. Enjoy the rest of 4th year.

I'd take it as a good thing but don't read too much into it or get cocky (aka interview other places - it isn't a promise to rank you #1). Sounds like they like you but take the interview seriously and make sure they know they are your top choice just like you would if there was no PS.

Although we may imagine PDs as evil villains I doubt a PD is going to take time to write something nice just to mess with you.

TL;DR: Take it at face value.

He's just bragging on an Internet forum. If he was for real he'd just make his rank list instead of telling everyone about how special he us. Just sayin'

I'm a she, but thanks for your input. :rolleyes:

You guys are all probably right - I'm overthinking everything, as usual. I can't wait until March when this is all over!