Personalized Letters of Rec to Individual School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rick Harrison

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of my professors that is writing a letter of recommendation for me wanted a list of schools that I am applying to because he said that he wants to personalize each letter to every specific school. He wanted a list of reasons on why I also wanted to go to each school so I believe he can talk about that in each individual letter. Is this how letters of recommendation work for dental school? I just assumed that the professor writes a more generic letter that gets submitted onto the application portal instead of personalizing the letter to each school.

Members don't see this ad.

My professors wrote general letters of rec rather than specific ones for specific schools

They can only submit one letter of rec, so it has to be a more general letter rather than aimed at one school. I would suggest you give them reasons for why you want to go to dental school period, not a specific one, and then they can use those in their letter if they wish.

Reactions: 1 user