Petition To Eliminate Cranial Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would be your choice regarding Cranial Method in DO school?

• Abandon Cranial in DO school altogether

Votes: 69 43.1%
  • Keep Cranial in the Curriculum as it is

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • Teach minimal cranial philosophy, without testing on boards

Votes: 44 27.5%

• Total voters
I don't usually post in these "flame" threads but I've kept silent on this topic for 4 years.

My two cents:
How great would it be if cranial, or (more acurately) some aspect of cranial, were disproven in the Osteopathic literature. For that mater, how great would it be if any thing was disproven. e.g. "Breaking News: Evidence Based-Medicine Demonstrates the Biscuit Does NOT Speak for the Cook." (a little A.T. humor there).

It would give the profession that much more credibility. It just seems odd that few, if any, osteopathic ideas get tossed out. If, on occassion, one did; it would give the remaining ideas that much MORE credibility.

Please keep in mind I haven't really read ANY of the literature since my first year of school; therefore, my above rant is quite naive and, frankly, might be full of BS. Just my two cents.

Flame on!!!

Members don't see this ad.

The push by some to 'disprove' cranial osteopathy on the basis that it's embarrassing is a little disturbing. Certainly, OCF doesn't look particularly promising if the current peer-reviewed literature is anything to go by - at least, not for the reasons that Sutherland, et al. postulated. But, doing research to avoid embarrassment is likely to result in bad or at least suspect science. Other manipulative procedures that once looked like quackery have come up with goods as a result of good science - the same science that needs to be applied to OCF. Let it stand or fall on that basis, not on osteopaths' insecurities about their standing in the medical world.

I am reminded of eager young chiropractic students who (as told by one researcher) asked whether Palmer College's research programme was for or against chiropractic. To which the researcher replied that it was neither, it was just science.

http://www.osteopathic-research.com/cgi-bin/or/Search1.pl?show_one=2118

http://www.osteopathic-research.com/cgi-bin/or/Search1.pl?show_one=1148

http://www.osteopathic-research.com/cgi-bin/or/Search1.pl?show_one=2015

thrown into the pot.

anecdotal evidence... is it enough?

if people feel better, does it matter?

as long as practitioners tell the truth as they see it, make all their knowlege available to the patient, is there a problem with treating people and them feeling the benefit regardless of the technique?

and something that may give weight to the theory of the RTM

http://www.ati-net.com/levin.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
QuinnNSU said:
I liked the cranial OMM lab because we all got to take a nap while our partners were feeling for our PRM.

Q< DO

Yeah....It was tough to wake up. Our instructor had a very soothing voice. He would dim the lights too.

Massage

Cranial Sacral

Cranial Sacral Therapy is a specialized treatment created for those with nervous disorders, motor-coordination impairments, attention deficit disorders and insomnia. By using this technique, and a gentle touch, Cranial Sacral Therapists may assist in facilitating improvement in areas affected by these conditions.

Deluxe Session (80 min) $125

This is the going rate for treatment at the Burke-Williams Spa in CA. Just think how much a DO could bill for this kind of treatment. The fact that Craial Sacral therapy is whack and that it makes DOs look silly is simply irrelevant -- it is another way to fund your daughter's college tuition or make payments on your S-class. PERIOD.

This applies to the general practice of OMM -- it is reimbursable, thus you should protect it with every fiber of your being...it is money in your pocket (or if you choose not to practice OMM, then it is money in your buddy's pocket, to whom you will refer your patients, and whom will then remember your kindness come Christmas time and toss you a bone, which can then be applied to your daughter's college tuition or payments on your S-class).

Rest assured PACtoDOC I abstained from voting as I have not sat through my block of cranial yet, thus I acknowledge that I really have no business addressing an issue I know nothing about.