pets in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polylux

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched the forums but the last threads about this were all at least a year old... so I thought I'd make a new one, lol.

I've been thinking about adopting a dog after I move for med school. Probably an older, super chill one that's already house trained and such.

Anyways, I just wanted to ask how are people's experiences with having a pet during medical school? How did you deal with it through rotations? I hear that a lot of people end up relying on family/SO's during third year at least?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember a resident stating that he had to give his dog to his family to take care of. It seems possible if you are a MS1&2, but radically harder MS3&4. I would also be interested in seeing how medical students, residents, and attending have dealt with this situation during their medical training.

I can't see it being feasible unless you have a partner that can look after it while you're busy. You'd both neglect and be unable to properly care for a dog through much of medical school, which isn't fair to it in the slightest.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about adopting two dogs so that they keep each other company while you're not at home

What about adopting two dogs so that they keep each other company while you're not at home
That solves some of the emotional bits, but then you have to worry about the logistics of finding a place that'll take two dogs, and how the heck you'll get them to the bathroom and fed regularly with the demands of medical school, where you're often not home for 8+ hours at a time.

I searched the forums but the last threads about this were all at least a year old... so I thought I'd make a new one, lol.

I've been thinking about adopting a dog after I move for med school. Probably an older, super chill one that's already house trained and such.

Anyways, I just wanted to ask how are people's experiences with having a pet during medical school? How did you deal with it through rotations? I hear that a lot of people end up relying on family/SO's during third year at least?
Have you had a dog before?

Will you be going to a school with mandatory lecture?

What do you plan to do if you want to go somewhere for a weekend or on a mission trip?

That solves some of the emotional bits, but then you have to worry about the logistics of finding a place that'll take two dogs, and how the heck you'll get them to the bathroom and fed regularly with the demands of medical school, where you're often not home for 8+ hours at a time.
Now I remember why I don't have any pets

Yep it is the "taking them to the bathroom" that is the most worrisome. Dogs really try their hardest not to sully the area they live in. Plus if they are sick and you don't have a 24/7 pet hospital, then that is also a large problem. The feeding part is not too much of an issue with larger dogs over the age of 1. You just need to feed them once a day and they are good.

I can't see it being feasible unless you have a partner that can look after it while you're busy. You'd both neglect and be unable to properly care for a dog through much of medical school, which isn't fair to it in the slightest.
Yah, I don't anticipate too much of a problem with a lower energy dog in OMS1/2, but third year rotations would be tough. Not to mention all the travel for interviews during fourth year. But assuming you did have an SO/family, I can't think of any other problems with it, honestly.

Have you had a dog before?

Will you be going to a school with mandatory lecture?

What do you plan to do if you want to go somewhere for a weekend or on a mission trip?
No, but I have lived in households with dogs, so I am familiar with taking care of them. I used to have 2 cats in undergrad. I also already have housing lined up that is okay with dogs, has a fenced in yard, and has another dog in the house for company. CUSOM does have mandatory lecture though - did think about that. From what I've seen of the schedule, seems like I would be home anywhere between 3-5 depending on the day.

I have an SO in the area for the weekends, but my trips tend to be outdoors/camping, so I don't see why I can't just take the dog with me. I honestly don't have any intention on going on a mission trip.

Is there anything else I should consider? I really want to make sure I think of everything before I committ.

Reactions: 1 user
Yah, I don't anticipate too much of a problem with a lower energy dog in OMS1/2, but third year rotations would be tough. Not to mention all the travel for interviews during fourth year. But assuming you did have an SO/family, I can't think of any other problems with it, honestly.

No, but I have lived in households with dogs, so I am familiar with taking care of them. I used to have 2 cats in undergrad. I also already have housing lined up that is okay with dogs, has a fenced in yard, and has another dog in the house for company. CUSOM does have mandatory lecture though - did think about that. From what I've seen of the schedule, seems like I would be home anywhere between 3-5 depending on the day.

I have an SO in the area for the weekends, but my trips tend to be outdoors/camping, so I don't see why I can't just take the dog with me. I honestly don't have any intention on going on a mission trip.

Is there anything else I should consider? I really want to make sure I think of everything before I committ.
Like I said, the biggest thing is that there will be days when you won't be home from 8-8, depending on your school's attendance policy and what's going on. That and the whole thing about the dog's emotional needs- leaving a dog alone for the vast majority of the week will likely result in distress, which can lead to emotional problems that result in it destroying your property and such. You should probably post this in the vet forums and see if they have any opinions, as vet students have similar schedules but a much better understanding of the troubles of dealing with an animal during those commitments.

You can always get a fish...

Like I said, the biggest thing is that there will be days when you won't be home from 8-8, depending on your school's attendance policy and what's going on. That and the whole thing about the dog's emotional needs- leaving a dog alone for the vast majority of the week will likely result in distress, which can lead to emotional problems that result in it destroying your property and such. You should probably post this in the vet forums and see if they have any opinions, as vet students have similar schedules but a much better understanding of the troubles of dealing with an animal during those commitments.
Well, I was hoping to get some input from people with actual experience with this. There's no way no one owned a pet in med school.

Well, I was hoping to get some input from people with actual experience with this. There's no way no one owned a pet in med school.
I don't know a single unmarried person with a dog in my class. Some people have cats, because they're easy to take care of. Vetties on the other hand tend to be more willing to make the sacrifices required of keeping a pet around in school, so that's why I'm saying they're probably your best bet, as they both are more likely to have experience with it and are more likely to be able to give you useful tips.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know a single unmarried person with a dog in my class. Some people have cats, because they're easy to take care of. Vetties on the other hand tend to be more willing to make the sacrifices required of keeping a pet around in school, so that's why I'm saying they're probably your best bet, as they both are more likely to have experience with it and are more likely to be able to give you useful tips.
You're not wrong, and I probably will make a post over there, I was just explaining why I made the post in here to begin with. I'm sure there's at least a few people here that had a dog during medical school.

Random update if people are interested... I went to the vet side and did a search in their forums, and then did a search in the pre-allo forums, and the allo/osteo forums, for pet threads...

Links to threads I found:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pets-in-med-school-how-realistic.1087364/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pets-in-medical-school.1017210/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pets-in-med-school.803776/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/medical-school-pets.398063/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pets-in-veterinary-school.1091453/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...o-with-your-pet-s-during-your-breaks.1067767/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/owning-pets-in-vet-school.776476/

General points taken from these threads:
  • cats are lower maintenance; get a cat
  • dogs are definitely manageable and can really help keep you happy/sane, however, be prepared to plan around the dog
  • for third year rotations, many had dogs live with an SO/family for away rotations + the busiest rotations, but did fine with them otherwise
  • having roommates that will help take care of them helps a lot
  • it's affordable because loans
  • bunnies are also nice
  • and tarantulas
  • and lizards/snakes/reptiles
  • having a house + fenced in yard is a big plus
  • basically just depends on where you're going to prioritize your time

Get a bird mate. Super low maintenance.
37394fa5bf9cd5f4f8023a0a09af9d02.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
You're not wrong, and I probably will make a post over there, I was just explaining why I made the post in here to begin with. I'm sure there's at least a few people here that had a dog during medical school.

I knew dog owners who were single and stayed home most of the time. Their dogs magically disappeared after 2nd year when rotations started. It's one of the sacrifices in medical training.

I have pets and its awesome. Its not like you are dead for all of medical school. I dont know what everyone is talking about here, but there is plenty of time for longs walks after school and hikes on the weekends. Just make sure your dog is trained prior to school, and can stay home for long periods of time on occasion. I could potentially see rotations being more difficult, but you can figure it out if you really want too. Dont get a dog though if you cant see yourself spending a decent amount of your free time excercising with it and taking walks.

Reactions: 1 users
I have pets and its awesome. Its not like you are dead for all of medical school. I dont know what everyone is talking about here, but there is plenty of time for longs walks after school and hikes on the weekends. Just make sure your dog is trained prior to school, and can stay home for long periods of time on occasion. I could potentially see rotations being more difficult, but you can figure it out if you really want too. Dont get a dog though if you cant see yourself spending a decent amount of your free time excercising with it and taking walks.
I was thinking a short 10 min walk in the morning + 1-2 hours of play/walk/running in the evening. I think that's reasonable enough to manage. And then hikes on weekends.

i was thinking the same thing! single parents must not have a chance if you can't even get by with a dog :/

There needs to be cats at every medical school for students to enjoy. I'm talking LCME/COCA pre-accreditation standard.

Therapy cats just wandering the halls eh?

Reactions: 3 users
IMG_0174.JPG

Okay, I had to post a picture of my own bird to one up the previous poster.

Seriously, though. He is very attached to me and I'm concerned that leaving him to go off to school would crush him, tbh, so I'm considering taking him with me when I eventually go. Birds are low maintenance, but they require a good bit of social interaction. I honestly think he'd be OK with 8-10 hour absences and maybe a bit longer, but never a day or more.
Does anyone have any experience with a bird in med school?

Reactions: 6 users
I work with a bunch of physicians. Some say you won't have time for a dog while a few others have said that having a dog made med school better for them (forced them to be more active.) I personally feel like I won't have time for a dog, and I hate cats (allergic) but if you were to get a pet, cats are the way to go. Cats can go for a few days being left alone as long as you leave them enough food or water. Also they won't be emotionally devastated being left alone for a couple of days. It's generally easier to find someone that will care for your cat for a week versus a dog as well. Good luck!

View attachment 189063

Okay, I had to post a picture of my own bird to one up the previous poster.

Seriously, though. He is very attached to me and I'm concerned that leaving him to go off to school would crush him, tbh, so I'm considering taking him with me when I eventually go. Birds are low maintenance, but they require a good bit of social interaction. I honestly think he'd be OK with 8-10 hour absences and maybe a bit longer, but never a day or more.
Does anyone have any experience with a bird in med school?
It's sooo fluffy! :love:
Plenty of mirrors and squishy toys should keep him occupied for a while longer. . . : O

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know how popular that is outside of big cities but you can always get a dog walker on those days when you come home late. Especially if it's on a regular basis, it shouldn't be so hard to find someone.

You definitely need to plan around your dog and I don't know what this would be like for a single person but for me it has been worth it, without any doubts. I pull a chair next to my desk so that my dog can sit next to me while I study. I love that creature so much. Ok, shutting up now because i could go on and on...

EDIT: not in med school yet. Just an obsessed dog person. I love cats too, though, and they certainly are easier to take care of.

Cats are low maintenance. Don't get a dog unless you are married/someone to care for it. They need more attention and care. A couple people at my school that have dogs are constantly running home at noon to walk them. It adds up to be 3 or 4 hours a week lost studying.

There are a few single ladies in my class who have dogs. It seems stressful.
Get a cat, or a bunny, or a bird, or a turtle.
Pets are great, but dogs are high maintenance.
For real though get a cat

I can definitely say, if you think you are going to get a "super chill" pet that is trained and going to be little work, you should rethink getting a pet. All pets need constant training, and even the best trained dog will have issues. I have two dogs and they are moving with me to med school, I think it's very doable but I also think you need realistic expectations. Also, my fiance is moving with me and will be able to feed the dogs if I am pulling long hours during clinical years and residency. But I absolutely revolve my plans and my life around my dogs, it is a big change getting dogs, that's for sure.
Not to mention the costs, this one is getting me a lot lately. I am trying to save for a move for med school, and one dog just got skin cancer and is getting the tumors removed this friday. Other dog was a rescue and had horrible teeth (which I didn't know when I adopted him- a lot of the time there is no way to know if there are problems when you first get them), procedures and vet bills can be pricey. Once these dogs get old and die I am definitely holding off until I make lots of money as an attending to get another dog. Go for ferrets, ferrets are cool and don't need shots and vet visits unless you are going to take them outside (most people don't) or they get sick.

Last edited:

I do have to say, MOST people with animals have to work a full-time job and the animals are alone for 8+ hours a day. There are lots of options, I have the type of doggy door that inserts in a sliding glass door and when I am home I walk them and give them attention, when I go to friends houses and see my family I bring them with. I also have two dogs, and honestly this makes me feel less guilty about leaving them alone because they have eachother's company during the day. But get them some good toys, fill up their kong before you leave, provide activities for them when you are having long days. This is honestly quite a normal situation.

I can understand though during clinical years and residency working 100+ hours a week, if you don't have a SO or a great roommate willing to help- animals may not be the best idea.

I do have to say, MOST people with animals have to work a full-time job and the animals are alone for 8+ hours a day. There are lots of options, I have the type of doggy door that inserts in a sliding glass door and when I am home I walk them and give them attention, when I go to friends houses and see my family I bring them with.

I can understand though during clinical years and residency working 100+ hours a week, if you don't have a SO or a great roommate willing to help- animals may not be the best idea.
Like I said, it's possible- but finding a place that will allow you to have a pet, and (depending on the area) finding a suitable yard for having a dog (for example, local ordinances of many towns I've lived in do not allow dogs to be unaccompanied off of their owner's property, so the only way you're going to be able to have a dog is to have a doggy door and a property that will let you have a dog and that property also has a fence that will keep the dog in). It's possible, just not practical- you're going to have to choose where you live and set up a lot of what you do around your pet.

Like I said, it's possible- but finding a place that will allow you to have a pet, and (depending on the area) finding a suitable yard for having a dog (for example, local ordinances of many towns I've lived in do not allow dogs to be unaccompanied off of their owner's property, so the only way you're going to be able to have a dog is to have a doggy door and a property that will let you have a dog and that property also has a fence that will keep the dog in). It's possible, just not practical- you're going to have to choose where you live and set up a lot of what you do around your pet.

Totally agree, if I didn't already have dogs I was committed to I wouldn't get them for med school. Moving to med school is going to be a lot of stress, and getting dogs and adjusting to their needs is a lot of stress. Probably wouldn't recommend doing both at the same time.

What school will you be attending?

That depends pretty heavily on the area. Where I used to live for undergrad, there were a ton of houses for rent around the school that allowed pets no problem, and apts that allowed pets with a pet deposit. The area I'm in now is not very pet friendly at all though, but the area I'm going to is. Of course, cats are easier to work around than dogs, but I've seen so many ads already for houses for rent with a fenced in yard that it's definitely not that hard. Definitely a plus of a more rural location vs a city location.

Totally agree, if I didn't already have dogs I was committed to I wouldn't get them for med school. Moving to med school is going to be a lot of stress, and getting dogs and adjusting to their needs is a lot of stress. Probably wouldn't recommend doing both at the same time.
Yeah, most likely I'll end up waiting a block and reconsidering after I figure out how my schedule will be. I'm lucky enough to have an SO in the area who is very excited by the idea and would love to help. :)

There needs to be cats at every medical school for students to enjoy. I'm talking LCME/COCA pre-accreditation standard.
When I saw this thread I was wondering if the KCU cat people will speak up:happy:

I would definitely suggest not getting a dog... I have a dog and a cat that I adopted 5+ years ago. I even found it difficult having them when I was living alone and working on my Master's degree. If I could go back I would have told my past self not to take on this responsibility, but they mean the world to me now and I will work around them. Both my "kids" will be coming to med school with me this fall. I've already started making plans for doggy day care and/or having a non-med student roommate who is willing to help out a little on the long days and nights.

I would definitely suggest not getting a dog... I have a dog and a cat that I adopted 5+ years ago. I even found it difficult having them when I was living alone and working on my Master's degree. If I could go back I would have told my past self not to take on this responsibility, but they mean the world to me now and I will work around them. Both my "kids" will be coming to med school with me this fall. I've already started making plans for doggy day care and/or having a non-med student roommate who is willing to help out a little on the long days and nights.

Agree, with HCMVresearcher. If you've never had a dog growing up, you'll quickly find that there is an immense responsibility that comes with having one. A dog is much more than a companion that will keep you entertained when you are lonely. You are it's caretaker. You need to be able to spend time with your dog, walk it so it gets exercise and stays healthy, give it baths, clean its eyes and ears, brush its teeth...you need to have the money to buy food, treats, toys, supplies, training, grooming, pay for vet check ups, and potential pet hospital bills if it gets sick or injured. My sister's Coton de Tulear ate a bag of chocolate on a counter and had to get it's stomach pumped which came with a hefty bill, he injured himself running too fast around the house and tore his ACL...expensive. Whenever he is left alone for long periods of time (and this wasn't often because she wasn't working at the time), he became very anxious and developed a horrible barking problem (the neighbors would complain). Dogs are very social creatures and they do get lonely which leads to behavioral problems. He also destroyed furniture and shoes as a puppy. If your dog sheds a lot, you will have a house full of dog hair. I had a friend who had a sweet little Lhasa Apso in medical school, but he had to learn how to "hold it" for 10 hours at a time when she was on rotations. It was probably extremely uncomfortable for the little guy. If you can, you will want to train it to go outside, AND utilize pee pads indoors, or have a doggy door.

Don't get me wrong I'm a total dog lover and I hope to have one someday. I'm not telling you not to get one, but just make sure you understand what it takes before you make the 15 year commitment. Too many people/families get a dog, then decide they can't do it anymore and the dog goes to a pound, it's really sad. Good luck!

I have several classmates with dogs, but I think most of them also have a significant other who takes care of the pets, too. I can think of single people who have cats. I don't know any third or fourth years so I'm not sure how it changes in the clinical years.

That said, I also know single adults with "real jobs" and busy schedules who have a dog and both the human and canine get along just fine.

Still, thinking about the cost of attending medical school vs the cost of raising a pet (food, accessory, veterinary visit)...

I have a cat. He's relatively chill, can stay outside (I rent a house) or inside for 12 hours straight. It is a challenge when I go out of town, but that's when you recruit friends and my parents occasionally to help out.

I had him way before medical school so there was no way I was giving him up for school .

Still, thinking about the cost of attending medical school vs the cost of raising a pet (food, accessory, veterinary visit)...

This really isn't an issue if you rescue a dog. My SO and I got a husky mix in September and between buying him, shots, food, and everything it's probably cost us around 250 total. And 120 of that was from the first week of getting him.

Time is the real issue. We got him because my SO worked from home and needed some company. Then she got a full-time job 3 weeks later...30 minutes away...yea. He's been amazing, but he's also a huge time commitment and it took us quite a while to get him to not poop in the house when we weren't home for more than 2 hours. My GPA would definitely be higher if we didn't get him, but it's been rewarding in a lot of other ways. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for my SO there is absolutely no way I would have ever gotten a dog in med school though, or any pet for that matter (even though I've desperately wanted a pet my whole life). If the SO isn't going to be the primary person taking care of it, I'd strongly recommend reconsidering getting any pet.

I would love to have a pet, but I don't have a SO to spend time with it if I have limited free time. Maybe some of my classmates will let me play with their pets.:p

I would love to have a pet, but I don't have a SO to spend time with it if I have limited free time. Maybe some of my classmates will let me play with their pets.:p

Cats are totally doable. They're fine left alone for a while, even if it's an entire weekend. I'm bringing my 2 cats with me. One lived with me during undergrad, and I would often leave her while I went back home for the weekend. They just need scratchers and toys for stimulation while you're gone and plenty of attention when you're home.

ew cats.

I'm considering getting a turtle or lizard. sometimes you just need an emotional outlet and low maintenance animals could be great for that.

You can always foster a dog. It's a short term commitment, free (a good parent organization will give you money for food, the dog/cat's favourite toys, a kennel) and you are saving a dog from being locked up in a shelter. You have to take it to adoption events and it may be sick. So it's a huge time commitment too, but it's not a 15 year long commitment.

I have several classmates with dogs, but I think most of them also have a significant other who takes care of the pets, too. I can think of single people who have cats. I don't know any third or fourth years so I'm not sure how it changes in the clinical years.

That said, I also know single adults with "real jobs" and busy schedules who have a dog and both the human and canine get along just fine.

This really isn't an issue if you rescue a dog. My SO and I got a husky mix in September and between buying him, shots, food, and everything it's probably cost us around 250 total. And 120 of that was from the first week of getting him.

Time is the real issue. We got him because my SO worked from home and needed some company. Then she got a full-time job 3 weeks later...30 minutes away...yea. He's been amazing, but he's also a huge time commitment and it took us quite a while to get him to not poop in the house when we weren't home for more than 2 hours. My GPA would definitely be higher if we didn't get him, but it's been rewarding in a lot of other ways. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for my SO there is absolutely no way I would have ever gotten a dog in med school though, or any pet for that matter (even though I've desperately wanted a pet my whole life). If the SO isn't going to be the primary person taking care of it, I'd strongly recommend reconsidering getting any pet.

why do you say "real jobs"? If they are not a med student or doctor their jobs are not real? They're "real"?

Consider yourself lucky. Dogs come with unexpected emergencies, everyone I know with a dog has paid for some surgery/expensive treatment one time or another. Some people (like myself) unfortunately have more issues than others. I adopted a rescue and he needed a cracked tooth removed, when they did xrays they found out he has periodontal disease and pockets under all of his teeth, cost me $2200.
Today, my other dog is getting tumors removed ~$1000.

My dog has been bitten by a coyote ~$400.
My dog has gotten ahold of a poisonous toad and began foaming at the mouth ~$200.
All of a sudden couldn't walk, xray and two different vets to find out it was lumbosacral disease ~$800.

Another dog got parvo, very expensive to treat. When she got vertigo and it wouldn't go away we finally put her down.

What you mean is you have been fortunate enough that nothing has happened... YET
Because they will, emergencies come up and dogs get sick just like people do. I will not get another dog until I am out of school. You CANNOT afford it on student loans when things like this come up, and they no doubt will. You never know if a dog is going to have problems, my dogs were healthy when I first adopted them.