1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Pets in Medical School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pictury, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Pictury

Pre-Medical
    How hard is it going to be to take care of a dog in medical school? I'd really like to get a boston terrier but I'm worried I won't have enough time for it. Then again, it could be a couple years before I even get into med school. Any opinions??

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mshheaddoc

mshheaddoc Howdy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

I suggest you search the forums (both pre-allo and allo) if you are interested in this subject. Its been discussed ad-nauseum. Some people can use time management and have no issues with the dog, others do. My main concern is having a way for our dogs to get outside when my husband is on call and I will be away at school. Animals take work. A dog is a responsibility that you need to take care of when you are on call or are living out of the anatomy lab and gone for 12-16 hrs a day (maybe even 24 if on call). So if you have someone that you can depend on to let the dog out (or have a small dog that is litter trained) that's fantastic. Otherwise, get a cat or a fish. My opinion is animals need attention too and we have 5 animals.

4. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I do not believe pets should go to medical school. Dogs find it to be too "ruff". And cats just act like a bunch of pu$$ies. But on the positive side, they party like a bunch of animals.

Edit: Perhaps a fish would be ok. They are used to schooling. Plus, and Doctorfish and Surgeonfish are pretty common, at least in the Caribbean.

Duchess1818 likes this.
  5. sixela1414

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I actually have a similar concern. I'll be going to medical school next year and I own a puppy right now with my boyfriend, who is in medical school as well. I'm pretty set on bringing the dog with me though... I would suggest what the previous poster said about litter training dogs. I have a silky terrier litter trained right now and it's a godsend. My concern is whether or not he'll receive the attention and love he needs... I guess I just have to hope for the best!

6. fever106

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I am an MS1, and I took my dog with me from undergrad. I live off campus in a pet friendly building. If your dog is paper trained (like mine), and used to being left alone for long stretches of time, having a pet in med school is fantastic. She actually makes all the hard work and lack of social life bearable. However, I would not suggest getting a puppy before entering med school. You will not be at home to take it on frequent walks (or work on paper training), or to stop chewing, barking behaviors, etc. If your pet is well trained, they are great to have with you, but MS1 is not the time to take on breaking in a NEW pet.

7. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    What about a nurseshark that decided to pursue med school?

You are a NUT!

LOL!:lol:

8. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    She would probably have to go Caribbean. :p

9. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

She can go to a DO school along with the St Bernard who has previous clinical experience in his job as a medical dog/ EMT!

10. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeh, or become a NursePractitioner Shark. :) :thumbup:

11. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Forget about Ducks though. They are all a bunch of quacks.

12. sunnyjohn

sunnyjohn Got Mustard?
    5+ Year Member

...Then they should become chiros or naturopaths? :p

(disclaimer- I do not think all chiros are quacks.)

13. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    :laugh: They tend to go into both fields. :smuggrin:

14. Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    I have heard that a Titmouse and a Blue-footed Boobie can do well in plastic surgery.

Edit: but beware of the Needlefish. They sometimes get a little overzealous and its easy to get stuck.

15. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What about a cat?

16. goosie

goosie Go Patriots
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi,

I just posted this same question about a week ago in the allopathic forum and got some very good responses. Check there.

17. CagedBird

CagedBird Don't Worry, Be Happy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey goosie, I just saw ur thread in the allo forum. Have you decided if you will get a dog or not?

18. goosie

goosie Go Patriots
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've talked to my SO a lot about it, and we both think that the benefits of having a dog (for us) outweigh the negatives. Unfortunately it still depends on being able to find housing in Boston that will let us have a dog, so no dog until September at the earliest (our current apartment won't let us get one).

19. foofish

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I love that in the context of your avatar. :)

20. Droopy Snoopy

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dogs suck. Everybody knows cockatiels make the best pets.

21. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Does anyone know the rules for taking your pet on a plane?

My vet told me that I would have to get a certificate of travel for my cat and buy an extra seat. But her information seemed outdated, she last traveled with a pet on a plane in 1995.

The certificate of travel apparently is given to you by your vet and it's a physical that needs to be done within 30 days of travel.

I think the reason you may have to buy a seat is because they don't want too many pets (i.e. no more than two) on the same flight, most likely because of people's allergies...

On the same note, does anyone know which airline is the most pet friendly? I'm planning on taking my cat into the cabin with me, there is no way I'm putting her down below!

any advice, thoughts, or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance

22. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I was just looking into this yesterday since I am hoping to get a cat when in medical school and was trying to figure out how I would get her home for long breaks. It varies for every airline so call the individual airline you plan to use. When I was looking Northwest and American Airlines seemed to be most open to it. Although Jetblue apparently allows it to (they don't make it sound like they do on their site though).

Southwest doesn't allow pets at all (though I flew home on Thanksgiving and the woman next to me had a cat - the flight attendant saw it and everything and just asked if she had the appropriate papers). So although according to their website they don't allow it at all, I guess you can get away with it if you want to try.

23. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks angel, on my interview track, I met a family who was flying with their cat and they said they took their cat with them all over the world. This was with United Airlines. They mentioned nothing of needing a certificate of travel or buying an extra seat, which is odd.

They said they just walked on board with the cat, :eek:, I was so surprised at their nonchalant attidude, but I guess they travel a lot.

I can't imagine having to go to the vet to get a certificate of travel each time I fly home during the year. That's a lot of unnecessary trips to the vet.

p.s. my cat hates going to the vet, for the same reason I probably hate going to doctors, i.e. nothing good ever comes out of it!!!:laugh: Sure is a funny thing for a future doctor to say, huh!!! but at least I'll be able to empatize with my future patients...

24. alwaysaangel

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Haha - well like I said check with the airlines. From my searching yesterday I believe either one or both of NW and American said they didn't require vet paperwork, but the state you were flying to might. So check into it, you may be able to avoid all those trips to the vet.

25. BluePhoenix

5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    To take a pet on board you have to have the vet checkup and generally you have to pay a fee (generally between $75 to $100) each way. You also ought to call the airline to reserve a spot as some airlines restrict the number of pets allowed on each flight and if there spots are already taken, they won't let you swtich for free unless you've called in advance.

Generally, only cats and small dogs are allowed on the plane, provided they fit under the seat in front of you. Some airlines consider the pet carrier a carry-on, so it's something to ask when you're reserving a spot for them. Larger animals will have to go under the plane.

While you may be able to sneak your plane on board without anyone asking...the consequences can far outweigh the risks if you get caught and have a mean flight attendent...so it's better to pay the fees and have the right papers and a reserved spot just it case.

I've traveled to multiple locations with my cat. She doesn't seem to care and usually just sleeps the whole way. However, some animals do not respond well to travel...try to schedule a direct flight if possible and DO NOT give pets any medications as there seem to be odd side effects at high altitudes and on planes that can cause them to flip out a bit.

26. NN11

7+ Year Member

Medical Student

Thanks angel and BluePhoenix.

BP, my vet also said not to give her any meds before the flight, but she never said why! Thanks for illuminating the med issue for me. You're very lucky as your cat seems pretty calm, mine is scared of her own shadow :eek: and I have a feeling she's going to really hate me for putting her through this ordeal. She's also much much much older, so I'm really worried about her well-being and comfort.

EDIT: I would even buy a first class ticket if I have to, just to make sure she's comfortable!

27. microgal

microgal NYC's Finest
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I take my 10lb dog on the plane with me all the time. He has a bag (sherpa bags are the best) and he sits under the seat in front of me. Jet blue is the most animal friendly airline that I've found so far. They charge $50 each way whereas american and some others charge $80. I give my dog acepromazine pills (it's a sedative I get from my vet) when we fly because he gets REALLY anxious and trys to chew his way out of the bag. Flying is always a little bit stressful (we fly cross country). But never seems to be too much of a problem. Good luck.

Oh and one more thing... US Air and american only allow two dogs (not sure how many cats) per cabin in coach and 1 dog in 1st class. Jet blue allows 5 per cabin in coach and service animals do not count. Book the pet's ticket early though so you make sure you can bring them.

28. in.a.nutshell

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My girlfriend got a puppy during undergrad and from her experience, I don't recommend it. A few reasons...1) it's rediculously hard to find apartments that allow dogs. A lot will allow cats, but not dogs no matter what the size (she has a cockapoo so it's smaller then a cat) 2) dogs need attention like crazy and unless you get another dog to keep it company, it sucks for the dog to be home all day. 3) her dog is now back home with her mom haha.

As far as flying goes, my gf only flys with United and they are fine with having a dog (and I'm assuming cat as well but I'm not sure) in the cabin with you. They say you should have vet papers, but she has never been asked for them. Also, it's $85.

If you're big on having a pet, I suggest a cat...they don't care when you come and go or if you're even home.

29. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    You can get 2 cats, they'll keep each other company. I used to have one and cat-sat for other people, so I always had at least 2 cats at my place. Then once I stopped cat-sitting and my cat was alone again, she became really depressed. This was back in undergrad, so I was gone for like 12 hours total every day in between work/classes/gym/volunteering. She just kept howling like a deranged coyote, so eventually I cracked under pressure and went to get an adorable kitten. They got along great! Now I have 3 and they keep each other company. Besides, then you get the added perk of being able to watch cat fights (they WILL fight sometimes no matter how well they get along with each other the rest of the time).

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/grad1543/CookieChair.jpg

For those of you who have flown with your pets - do they actually let you bring the carrier into the seating area? I always thought pets flew in the luggage area. Though I guess it doesn't matter for me, I drive everywhere and my cats are totally cool with being in the carrier for as long as 2 days (of course I let them out at night though).

30. Kateb4

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I flew with my cat a few times. I used to work for United, so that was the only airline that I flew. I didn't have to pay any fees and I didn't have to get any paperwork (that was about 5 years ago - so things may have changed). I brought her in a small carrier that fit under the seat in front of me, and she had to stay in there the whole time. But they gave me absolutely no problems with having her there. Just call ahead and book your ticket over the phone with them so they can put it in their comments that you will have your pet on board with you.