PGE2- smooth muscle mechansim of action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brucelaa67

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
PGE2 causes smooth muscle relaxation in blood vessels, but contraction in uterus. Confusing me. How is this mediated?
Is NO involved, like in case of histamine (bronchoconstriction and vasodilation)?
Please help me out.Any input'll be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

PGE2 causes smooth muscle relaxation in blood vessels, but contraction in uterus. Confusing me. How is this mediated?
Is NO involved, like in case of histamine (bronchoconstriction and vasodilation)?
Please help me out.Any input'll be appreciated.
In the vasculature, I would guess that PGE2 binds to the vascular endothelium causing release of NO which relaxes the medial smooth muscle (as you suggest). PGE2 likely binds DIRECTLY to the myometrium leading to contraction. I would use this reasoning for the step 1. The reality as suggested by this paper:http://www.jbc.org/content/282/16/11613.full.pdf i.e. four different isoforms of PGE receptors with different G-coupled signaling means things are probably a lot more complicated..but this is also irrelevant to clinical practice.

Reactions: 1 user