PGY 2 Interview Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmtastic2000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
How are PGY 2 interview questions? Is it mainly clinical or more personality/situational based? Or both? Do they ask you mainly clinical questions on the field specialization?

Members don't see this ad.

How are PGY 2 interview questions? Is it mainly clinical or more personality/situational based? Or both? Do they ask you mainly clinical questions on the field specialization?

For me, it's both. Given that the # of preceptors who are involved in a PGY2 program is much smaller than the # of preceptors at the same institution who are involved in the PGY1, we have to work with the PGY2 MUCH closer than we would a PGY1. A PGY1 rotates thru me for a month, and then they move on. PGY2's have multiple rotations with me, and most likely research- so personality is extremely important.
I do get that at this point, the PGY2 applicant has only completed 6 months of residency (possibly even less if you factor in an orientation period and a transition/research month after Midyear, and some of their rotations may have been more administrative than clinical), so I don't go crazy grilling the applicant. Basically, I want to see if the applicant has a good idea of the specialty, latest trends/ hot topic issues/ research in the area of practice. I do like to ask them what was the latest article/journal they read, and see if they can speak to it adequately.