PGY-3 Job Hunt CV Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baseballer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm now about a month into PGY-3 and starting to look around for my first "real" job, which is exciting but also a bit frightening. Before venturing too far into the process, I wanted to seek guidance from those of you who have already been there, done that.

First, what information should be included with my CV, and is there anything that should NOT? I currently have sections for Postgraduate Training, Education, Licensing/In-Training Examinations, Awards/Honors, Presentations, Research, Volunteer Experience, and Hobbies/Interests.

I'm vacillating between whether to include my standardized test scores. I assume that nobody probably cares outside of academia, but I feel that my USMLE and ITE rankings (all 99th+ percentiles) are honestly distinguishing factors at this early stage of my career, especially since I have no work experience to offer (other than residency itself) compared to the overall job applicant pool.

Second, is it common practice to include a cover letter when submitting CVs to clinic and hospital recruiters? If so, what amount and type of information is relevant for this section?

Finally, should I keep or scrap the Hobbies/Interests? I'm not sure if this is considered "unprofessional" or instead proves that I'm human and enjoy other activities outside of medicine.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm now about a month into PGY-3 and starting to look around for my first "real" job, which is exciting but also a bit frightening. Before venturing too far into the process, I wanted to seek guidance from those of you who have already been there, done that.

First, what information should be included with my CV, and is there anything that should NOT? I currently have sections for Postgraduate Training, Education, Licensing/In-Training Examinations, Awards/Honors, Presentations, Research, Volunteer Experience, and Hobbies/Interests.

I'm vacillating between whether to include my standardized test scores. I assume that nobody probably cares outside of academia, but I feel that my USMLE and ITE rankings (all 99th+ percentiles) are honestly distinguishing factors at this early stage of my career, especially since I have no work experience to offer (other than residency itself) compared to the overall job applicant pool.

Second, is it common practice to include a cover letter when submitting CVs to clinic and hospital recruiters? If so, what amount and type of information is relevant for this section?

Finally, should I keep or scrap the Hobbies/Interests? I'm not sure if this is considered "unprofessional" or instead proves that I'm human and enjoy other activities outside of medicine.

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!
Absolutely do not include any test scores. Instead, have that be a certification section - ACLS, PALS, NRP, board certification, state licenses you possess stuff like that.

Hobbies can be hit or miss. I didn't do it but I know people who did, so I'd say that's up to you.

I only had 1 place ask for a cover letter (and so I didn't apply there).

Reactions: 1 users
No one cares about your test scores unless you are looking for a fellowship. I agree with the VA Hopeful Dr that you should put in your certifications and licenses instead.

I actually removed a few publications to include a couple of hobbies and I am glad I did. Every place I interviewed commented on my hobbies and it made it easy for interviewers to segue from asking me about medicine to asking me about my life. I don't have kids and I don't follow sports so having something to talk about was pretty helpful.

I don't remember using any cover letters but I've mainly been contacted through word of mouth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Test score are not going to help. You are no longer as student. So now you need to learn to negotiate your contract and ask for the right amount of money, maybe loan repayment etc. Don't sign a contract until you speak to a lawyer.

There are plenty of jobs for FP but many exploit FP's. Beware of jobs that promice you the world. They come with strings attached.

If you choose to go to work for coprmed then understand that they can control your schedule more than any other entity. There are some advantages one being that they usually start a pension program for you but you can do that yourself.

I think the most important thing to remember is to live like a resident for 3 to five years until you pay off your loans (if you have them). Start a small investment account with vangaurd and automatically have them take money out for your retirement. If you know nothing about investing you can start a life strategy fund or go to betterment and they do everything for you for a small fee. NEVER, NEVER invest with a broker who charges a percentage. Fees will kill you. The reason I'm spending more time on this than on your future employment choices is because at the end of the day FP's will bring in around 180 to 250 depending on where they practice. Some place more but it's more rural. So it's not how much you make but how much you spend.

There are so many FP jobs right now that you can negotiate a good deal.

More on investing: white coat investor is a great site for doctors to learn so is bogleheads.

I'm worried my CV is too short, it's barely a page!

I'm worried my CV is too short, it's barely a page!

All they care about is if you finished residency, are board certified (so they can bill insurance) and if you have ACLS etc certificates if your working ER or urgent care.

The rest is if you fit in.

Can we add procedures that we are competent in to the CV?
My CV is currently sectioned into: Education, Internship/Residency, Licensure/Boards, Certifications, Professional Society Membership, Leadership/Teaching activities, Honors and Awards, Community/Volunteer service and Profile/Hobbies and Nonacademic interests.

Add procedures? Thanks in advance.