Resident job hunt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homo sapien

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so this might be kind of weird because it's not related directly to FM but I've heard other people doing this so I'd thought I'd ask

So I am a podiatry resident who will be a PGY3 this upcoming year and will start job hunting. We do have our magazines and journals and things that have job ads in them but I also have coresidents who have graduated in the past talking about how they go around introducing themselves to IM and FM people in their area they want to work so they can build a referral base. DO you think thi sis a good idea to add onto my job hunt, to find PCPs in my area and ask them if they know of any demand or jobs through the grapevine for podiatrists?

Members don't see this ad.

so this might be kind of weird because it's not related directly to FM but I've heard other people doing this so I'd thought I'd ask

So I am a podiatry resident who will be a PGY3 this upcoming year and will start job hunting. We do have our magazines and journals and things that have job ads in them but I also have coresidents who have graduated in the past talking about how they go around introducing themselves to IM and FM people in their area they want to work so they can build a referral base. DO you think thi sis a good idea to add onto my job hunt, to find PCPs in my area and ask them if they know of any demand or jobs through the grapevine for podiatrists?

What you're describing is networking - However, doing it through Primary Care Physicians, which are "Gatekeepers" to Medicine in a community so to speak. Theoretically, any networking is good networking, so you're more than welcome to do so, however, I'm just wondering if it would be the best use of your time. It would suck to go around and kiss babies and show your face only to never actually get a job in that area and only wasted both your and the Physicians time. If I were you, I would go to Podiatry clinics themselves, go to PCPs after you get your job.

The PCP will not be able to tell you anymore than what Google can tell you, and probably, a PCP will already have some Podiatrists they've been working with 10+ years and are already probably well established, and have no idea they are seeking extra partners or not.

Disclaimer: I'm only a med student with no real life experience - This is just my intuition speaking