PGY1 with Pediatric Emphasis

Started by the2ndwish
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

the2ndwish

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm interested in pediatrics and was wondering if anyone has any tips practicing in the field in regards to:

residency selection
accredited vs nonaccredited programs
Is PGY2 necessary to practice?
liability issues

I appreciate any information or help you can give me on the topic! Thanks!
 
I'm interested in pediatrics and was wondering if anyone has any tips practicing in the field in regards to:

residency selection
accredited vs nonaccredited programs
Is PGY2 necessary to practice?
liability issues

I appreciate any information or help you can give me on the topic! Thanks!

I can give a little bit of input. When choosing a residency, be sure to look for ones that allow more rotation time in different peds settings (general, PICU/NICU, ped oncology, etc.). If you aren't sure if the residency you're interested in allows for that, ask them. Also, there are PGY-1 general pharmacy practice residencies that have an emphasis in pediatrics. The ASHP directory is a good place to look for them.

For me, I will be looking mainly at residencies that are accredited, though there are PGY-2 ped programs that will accept residents who completed a PGY-1 from a non-accredited residency. I used to work at a children's hospital that had a PGY-2 program, and this was the case one of the years I was there.

As far as liability is concerned, there may or may not be more liability when it comes to the pediatric population. I'm really not sure, and perhaps a pharmacist or a ped resident could answer that for us.

Hope this was helpful. 🙂
 
I'm interested in pediatrics and was wondering if anyone has any tips practicing in the field in regards to:

residency selection
accredited vs nonaccredited programs
Is PGY2 necessary to practice?
liability issues

I appreciate any information or help you can give me on the topic! Thanks!

There are many PGY1 residency programs that are at children's hospitals. If you know you want to do peds, then that would be a great experience.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try Children's Healthcare of Atlanta(CHOA). They have are a PGY-1 residency program and they are right across the street from Emory U hospital as well as down the street from the CDC and the headquarters of the American Cancer Society. Basically, they are in a very nice neighborhood.

HTH