PGY2 application questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indecisiveresident

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For other people applying for PGY-2s, feel free to ask your own questions in this thread too.

1. I've heard mixed things about including APPEs and college extracurriculars on your CV, do people look down on mentioning things from school?

2. A lot of programs don't early commit their residents until after Midyear, will they take down the option to apply to them, or will we be paying to apply to sites without positions?

3. Supposedly people end up with very few PGY-2 interviews because of early commit and how many other applicants there are. On average, how many PGY-2 interviews have people had in comparison to how many places they've applied to?

4. Does speaking to a program at PPS really help you get a better chance at interviews later on?

Members don't see this ad.

For other people applying for PGY-2s, feel free to ask your own questions in this thread too.

1. I've heard mixed things about including APPEs and college extracurriculars on your CV, do people look down on mentioning things from school?

2. A lot of programs don't early commit their residents until after Midyear, will they take down the option to apply to them, or will we be paying to apply to sites without positions?

3. Supposedly people end up with very few PGY-2 interviews because of early commit and how many other applicants there are. On average, how many PGY-2 interviews have people had in comparison to how many places they've applied to?

4. Does speaking to a program at PPS really help you get a better chance at interviews later on?

1.) no, as long as it’s relevant. If your APPEs were geared towards easy, don’t share them. If they were primarily inpatient or otherwise clinical they can only add to your application.

2.) not sure. I assume they’ll take them down as soon as they’ve dont their early commit interview etc with their candidate.

3.) I’m nearly 10 years out so not sure how it is these days.

4.) absolutely. Either you nail it and guarantee yourself an on-site interview or you get yourself on the Do Not Interview list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1. Idk how many CV's you've read, but for a 1-year position, I generally tune out after 3-4 pages. You have a precious amount of space to communicate your qualifications. Don't bog it down with useless stuff.

2. Depends- some programs have very regimented early commit processes (ASHP requires programs who offer this option to have a written policy in place, however how strictly they adhere to it can vary). Some may have soft internal deadlines, and be flexible with current PGY1s who are considering early committing, and therefore simply not get around to taking down the position off of Phorcas
- Also related to this, remember that the title of RPD is generally voluntary, meaning whoever is in this role still has all his/her patient care/administrative responsibilities, so be aware that responding to an email from an applicant or calling ASHP/Phorcas to update a position or website may not fall high on their list of priorities in the grand scheme of things. Send a short, to the point email to the RPD to ask if the position has been already filled.

3. Depends on specialty/geographic area desirability/reputation of the program. In general, we interview 4 for 1 position (when we don't early commit it)

4. Yup. In general, current PGY1s interview lightyears better than P4's, and are able to articulate themselves a lot better- meaning my experience is that PGY2 interviees are generally more direct, less vague, less fluff. It's easier to see a good or bad fit right off the bat, as well as a low-interest candidate who is just applying to have more options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'll piggyback off the original questions asked:

1. How does a PGY2-candidate CV differ from a PGY1-candidate CV? LOI? Specifics please.

2. How do you choose your LOR's writers?

3. Anyone care to throw out some GOLDEN questions to ask programs as a PGY2-candidate during PPS/showcase?

I guess I'll piggyback off the original questions asked:

1. How does a PGY2-candidate CV differ from a PGY1-candidate CV? LOI? Specifics please.

2. How do you choose your LOR's writers?

3. Anyone care to throw out some GOLDEN questions to ask programs as a PGY2-candidate during PPS/showcase?

1. Your CV applying for PGY2 is full of PGY1 activities, but it's still just a CV. your LOI is more specific to the type of PGY2 you're applying to, but it's still a LOI. You should likely have more definitive/established goals going into PGY2 than you did for PGY1. I personally modeled my LOI after the one I wrote for PGY1...it's not like they had copies of it.

2. the same way I chose them for PGY1 applications.

3. I don't know of "golden" questions, but I feel like if you're in your PGY1, you should have a better idea of what you're looking for in a PGY2 program and be able to formulate questions more easily for that reason. But it's so important to do your research beforehand for PPS, because they absolutely expect you to know what is online about their program, and it's just a waste of your time to ask something you can easily look up.Also the questions you ask may depend on who you're talking to. is it the resident? RPD? coordinator? a mix? I wouldn't necessarily ask all of those people the same types of questions.

1. I included mine, but they were pretty relevant to the type of PGY2 I was applying to. I have removed them after residency.

2. The program should take their listing down if they're early committing. A program I spoke to at midyear last year emailed me specifically to let me know they had early committed, but I'm not sure if all programs do this per se. Regardless, it is unlikely you will submit your application before they early commit (and if you do...maybe you're too much of a go getter lol)

3. I personally applied to 8 programs and had 6 interviews for PGY2. I don't think this is something you can necessarily generalize; there are fewer programs but also fewer people applying.

4. Yes. I spoke with programs at PPS and had multiple RPDs I spoke with come to my poster presentation at midyear. I also had invitations to receptions due to my PPS participation. They are there to recruit you, that's the whole point. :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
4. Yes. I spoke with programs at PPS and had multiple RPDs I spoke with come to my poster presentation at midyear. I also had invitations to receptions due to my PPS participation. They are there to recruit you, that's the whole point. :thumbup:

Oh wow I didn't realize there were receptions for PGY-2 positions (I thought it was more a fellowship thing haha) thank you for sharing! Your Midyear experience sounds like my goal Midyear experience :)

https ://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S6kZk72ntmS_Ddxui8gQw3chi3m117o1ONQtHVEshZM/edit#gid=1692677133
This spreadsheet has information on each PGY1/PGY2 program, and if the program early commits to a current PGY1 resident, it is listed as closed. When someone gets an interview offer from a program, they add their response to the spreadsheet so other applicants can track when programs start to make their offer. Feel free to share it so there more input.