PGY2 options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

farmAC123123

Reaction score
Current pgy-1 resident here. I came in set on doing a pgy-2 in onc or ID but now I'm also interested in palliative care and geriatrics as well. Is it frowned upon to apply to more than 1 pgy-2 specialty and are some pgy-2 specialties more competitive than others? Also are any of these fields more saturated than others (it would be nice to have a job in that area after 2 years)?

I know this has been asked before but I'm looking for updated opinions/advice from anyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed for EM and critical care. None at the same site, so no one knew I was interviewing for both.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Current PGY-2. I personally only applied for one discipline but knew many people who applied for two specialties. As long as you don't apply to two specialties at the same hospital, you are probably okay. Although I will say, the preparation and work you have to put into applying in two different specialties is incredibly difficult. I mean, applying for one specialty is hard enough. Consider the impact it could potentially have on the quality of your application and interviews. Also, you could be limiting your chances of matching, because you are applying to 1/2 as many programs as you normally would unless you pay to apply to twice as many.

If you can, I recommend trying to get rotations in your PGY-1 in the respective specialties you are interested in. Granted, there is limited time between now and Midyear/PPS/application deadlines, but at least you will have figured out which specialties you lean more towards.

To answer your last question, pretty much all of the PGY-2 specialties are competitive and saturated. Yeah thats not a helpful answer, but I recommend looking at the ASHP match statistics (on their website) to get a better idea of the match percentages, spots offered and positions unfilled for each specialty from previous years.

PPS as a PGY1 can be useful, because it helps you rule out programs at Midyear without going thru the hassle of taking time off during your PGY1 (although different programs have different policies/allowances for time off for interviews), not to mention flight/hotel costs.

If a PGY2 program is participating in PPS, and it's a competitive specialty/desirable geographic area, you run the risk of not getting an onsite interview if you don't interview with them during PPS. For our PGY2, we definitely do not onsite interview all candidates that apply, because we know we will match if we interview 6-8 candidates

Reactions: 1 users
PPS as a PGY1 can be useful, because it helps you rule out programs at Midyear without going thru the hassle of taking time off during your PGY1 (although different programs have different policies/allowances for time off for interviews), not to mention flight/hotel costs.

If a PGY2 program is participating in PPS, and it's a competitive specialty/desirable geographic area, you run the risk of not getting an onsite interview if you don't interview with them during PPS. For our PGY2, we definitely do not onsite interview all candidates that apply, because we know we will match if we interview 6-8 candidates

What would you consider a competitive specialty be in your opinions vs non-competitive?