Pharm.D. vs. MSPS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaginCajun

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the pros and cons of Pharm.D. vs the Masters program. I am applying for the PharmD but didn't make it in last year. I am fasinated with drugs and a people person so I really want to make my impact in this area. Considering the majority of my family has/had a terminal or life threating disease.

MSPS can teach in academia pharmacy or the obvious do research. The program is only 2 years probably a lot easier to get into and you may come out even with the same $ as Pharm.D. considering free tution etc...

Pharm.D. may make bank in retail but retail sucks. The program is 4 years and do you really help people?

I don't want to sound biased against Pharm.D. but I know everyone will add pros so I just started with cons. Please don't take offense to this post I believe both of these paths are great. I currently work as a pharm tech and will be involved with research next month. Your input is greatly appreciated.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about the MSPS, but I think a pro for the PharmD is actually being able to be a practitioner. The PharmD is required for liscensure by states, so going the MSPS route, you would not be able to be a pharmacist.

Also, there is a lot more areas than retail. And I do believe that you help people. Pharmacists can catch things in medication use that other HCP cannot. Also, people trust pharmacist enought to come to them and open up more so then what they do with their doctors.