Pharm field = computer field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pakcw

Keton
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is only my thinking.
Not even over a decade ago computer field was booming like pharm field right now. However they are mentioning that there are lots of option pharmacist to get into a various field, 60% of pharmacist is working for community chain store where pharmacist get highest pay right now. It is up to employer how they manage pharmacist hours. Once something decreases pharmacist work-load such as placing great automatic pill dispenser or reduction in filling rx. what would be happened??? I realize once pharmacist stuck with community pharmacy, they are pretty much there forever. It is not easy to transfer to other field of pharmcy b/c of work exp.
Will crisis be happened in pharmacy like computer field right now.

Members don't see this ad.

pakcw said:
It is only my thinking.
Not even over a decade ago computer field was booming like pharm field right now. However they are mentioning that there are lots of option pharmacist to get into a various field, 60% of pharmacist is working for community chain store where pharmacist get highest pay right now. It is up to employer how they manage pharmacist hours. Once something decreases pharmacist work-load such as placing great automatic pill dispenser or reduction in filling rx. what would be happened??? I realize once pharmacist stuck with community pharmacy, they are pretty much there forever. It is not easy to transfer to other field of pharmcy b/c of work exp.
Will crisis be happened in pharmacy like computer field right now.

that won't happen because you must have a pharm.d to be licensed (unless you're already a pharmacist.) the computer field became oversaturated because of the gazillion tech schools offering certification programs.

plus, there are tons of other jobs for someone with a doctorate degree: global safety, tech writing, clinical research, biotech and teaching!

jessicaeatworld said:
that won't happen because you must have a pharm.d to be licensed (unless you're already a pharmacist.) the computer field became oversaturated because of the gazillion tech schools offering certification programs.

plus, there are tons of other jobs for someone with a doctorate degree: global safety, tech writing, clinical research, biotech and teaching!

In my opinion, IT bubble has subsided mainly due to outsourcing to India. I was a programmer back then when I saw how the projects were handed to India and fast downsizing, I decided to switch my career. However, there is no guarantee that our government might open doors to the foreign pharmacists or just increase the supply of pharmacist. I think it all hinges on who will have power to make any shift.