Pharm job outlook?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure there is plenty of fat to cut in a lot of hospitals. I'd probably start with the less productive members of staff, usually the people with the longest list of credentials in their e-mail signature.

I recall during rotations how at this one hospital there would be one pharmacist actually doing the grunt work of checking orders and the rest of the department of some 12-15 pharmacists were off in their offices & cubicles doing happy horsecrap make-work such as collecting lab values for ACEi patients. The featherbedding was out of control. No wonder healthcare costs have exploded.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
A few trends to consider:
5. Improved software, algorithms, automation, and artificial intelligence will also limit future growth of clinical pharmacists. Some physicians are worried that AI will limit physician jobs, but pharmacists will be at more immediate risk. Procedures that physicians do are more difficult to mimic. AI will be very good at finding information, which obviously overlaps with what clinical pharmacists do. Much of the work that clinical pharmacists do can be automated (med rec, profile reviews, checking for duplicates, protocol compliance, dose checking, etc). Now that almost all hospitals have moved to electronic records it will become much easier to study the use of AI and automation in pharmacy. Research has already commenced in this area and will only accelerate as big tech money like Amazon and IBM begins to move into the healthcare space.

This is the future of healthcare here. As a Pharmacist, I'm trying transition into this field.

Retail dispensing fees of 0 cents are commonplace now. MAC isn't even the new norm; there's a new fee structure for independents - it's [BYC + dispensing fee].

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
2018 grad. Didn't match for a residency. Signed a pre-contract agreement with CVS. I'm looking to try for a residency again next year. The numbers for Pre-2018 graduates (non-traditional) matching are pretty dire. I'm wondering if it's even worth it to try again. I feel like I'm going into a dying field at the moment... Retail is shrinking.

2018 grad. Didn't match for a residency. Signed a pre-contract agreement with CVS. I'm looking to try for a residency again next year. The numbers for Pre-2018 graduates (non-traditional) matching are pretty dire. I'm wondering if it's even worth it to try again. I feel like I'm going into a dying field at the moment... Retail is shrinking.
Do yourself a favor and apply to every open hospital position you see this next year. You never know when lady luck will be on your side.

There is more than one match. I know plenty of great candidates that matched in match 2 or 3

Career fair at my school went like...

25 employers showed up to showcase their business.

0 were hiring.

wut

As the charnel house continues to be stuffed...1.4T now. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Civil service has a block on hiring except for extremely critical positions and even are experiencing attrition. If I wanted to get in on some HHS action, I'd join now even at lower ranks as I expect them to have a hiring winter like the 90s. Depending on the Koch brothers and how much Trump wants to let someone suffer, the VA may be in the same category once Secretary Paranoid is relieved of duty and on to a better place (away from public service). As for getting any business done, good luck if it involves the Vermont 10th floor, we've all had to work around the situation.

David Shulkin Makes Late Play for Most Corrupt Trump Cabinet Member

People like to lay the student debt at the feet of the borrowers when:

Recession hit and since there were no jobs people went back to school
Increase in demand meant more private scammy schools opening which stressed the system when loans couldn't be paid back
State funding dropped during this time, which meant students had to pick up more of the tab. State funding wasn't reinstated when economy improved.
Excessive 6.55% interest rates still applied when the economy recovered when you could get an upside down car loan for 2%

I mean, bro. If it weren't for the interest I would have my barely-state subsidized loans paid off by now.

Im no economist, but it seems like the baby boomers really stuck it to the millenials just letting this fall apart. They got their taxes forgiven on their foreclosed properties but NO HANDOUTS for lazy college students

Let the above be a cautionary tale.....The boomer politicians are for sure completely for themselves...The KEY is to get into a position (job) where you can push back..and Pharmacy has ceased to be that type of job...Do you realize that construction laborer's in the Twin Cities are making coin to start...Now a smart kid doesn't stay at laborer but learns the ropes and moves up....My opinion is that working retail for a chain (esp. for a young man) is a job for a drudge...

Boomers are really #triggered over those participation trophies millenials never asked for and threw out when they moved away.

I would happily take that 6.55% and splurped it down with ketchup if they paid back into social security so it wasn't bunked for us. Oh wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
Boomers are really #triggered over those participation trophies millenials never asked for and threw out when they moved away.

I would happily take that 6.55% and splurped it down with ketchup if they paid back into social security so it wasn't bunked for us. Oh wait.

Don't fret. it's all going to be written down. Everybody's getting screwed.

Career fair at my school went like...

25 employers showed up to showcase their business.

0 were hiring.

wut

2012, same thing, only half the slots at the career fair were empty because the school thought X company would be coming and went ahead and reserved their slot.

The screwing was anticipated (over the last several years). Seems like it is finally here and being felt now. Chains not hiring, cutting full time hours down, lot of stores closing, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

This is just the beginning. Trust me.

lots of complaining on the pre pharm forum of the job market. I am wondering if they are full of **** and would like to hear the opinions of those who actually work as a pharmacist. Maybe they trying to reduce competition.

You know... not too long ago, a snippy pre-pharm told a pharmacist to stick to the pharmacist forums and keep his/her advice out of the pre-pharm forums. I forget who/which thread, etc. Irrelevant. The majority are on a lithium induced haze; it seems. Since reading that I've started saving my breath, too and just discuss topics with new grads or pharmacists.
If you already have a bachelor's degree,. just do an accelerated BSN in nursing and take the nursing informatics route. Honestly, you will be way better off. I am not in a bad position but to meet my personal financial goals which include early retirement, I am chasing jobs in places no one wants. Why? Because that's job security. Your boss won't even bother you and will look the other way most of the time if it's a pain to find someone to replace you.
Stay away from pharmacy. It's not worth it.

You know... not too long ago, a snippy pre-pharm told a pharmacist to stick to the pharmacist forums and keep his/her advice out of the pre-pharm forums. I forget who/which thread, etc. Irrelevant. The majority are on a lithium induced haze; it seems. Since reading that I've started saving my breath, too and just discuss topics with new grads or pharmacists.

Many of them could care less about advice from real practicing pharmacists. They come to the Pre-Pharmacy forum for validation and reassurance that they can get in with their <2.5 GPA, 30 PCAT score, and no work experience.

Reactions: 4 users
Many of them could care less about advice from real practicing pharmacists. They come to the Pre-Pharmacy forum for validation and reassurance that they can get in with their <2.5 GPA, 30 PCAT score, and no work experience.

Sooo true...well said.

This is interesting...and extremely difficult to believe:
ImageUploadedBySDN1522894722.793125.jpg

This is interesting...and extremely difficult to believe: View attachment 231543

How deceptive. The implication is that there will be many jobs- clinical ones. Only problem is that there are about 300,000 rphs now so the 4,000 odd jobs increased by 2026 in drs offices is only about 1%. Too bad they don't advertise the losses in other areas ie retail for truth in advertising.

This is interesting...and extremely difficult to believe: View attachment 231543

So 3% a year and less than one years graduating class. Unfortunately most young adults are to financially and job market real life illiterate to realize what a crappy advertisement that is. If you go into pharmacy now without a family connection or family money to pay for your school you are a fool. ( and if your family has money to pay for a degree why in the world are you doing pharmacy unless you have a family connection

I would love to see the assumptions that prediction is based upon.

It would be interesting to see how that's derived. While working in retail for years only on a couple of occasions did I speak to a pharmacist that worked at a doctors office. It would be great if this were a more common practice site for pharmacists. I see the pharm job outlook as a great shrinkage. Less jobs overall nothing to match the number of graduates. Shrinkage of jobs especially in routine functions in retail and hospital due to tech check tech and automation. While at the same time, a small increase in clinical and specialized positions. Unemployment is going to increase dramatically because there won't be residency jobs to absorb new grads and most retiree eligible pharmacists have left the market so the rphs pushed out will be working age.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: check the source kid. It's a deans job to spin up this cowpoopoo to get warm bodies in the seat. Warm bodies = easy fed money. The school doesn't care if the student can get a job, the school isn't the one loaning out the money.
The jobs will never materialize. The new generation of pharmDs will have the highest rate of loan default ever recorded. Wages for pharmacists will fall to around 55,000 USD a year by 2030. Amazon.com will pay pharmDs the most with a generous 75,000 USD a year.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: check the source kid. It's a deans job to spin up this cowpoopoo to get warm bodies in the seat. Warm bodies = easy fed money. The school doesn't care if the student can get a job, the school isn't the one loaning out the money.
The jobs will never materialize. The new generation of pharmDs will have the highest rate of loan default ever recorded. Wages for pharmacists will fall to around 55,000 USD a year by 2030. Amazon.com will pay pharmDs the most with a generous 75,000 USD a year.

Haven’t seen such creativity with numbers since ENRON....congrats UC!!

Did anyone who derisively commented on the claim, I dunno...actually look it up? It's from the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy (which used DOL data). You can read to your heart's desire about how they came up with their figures:

https://www.ashp.org/news/2018/03/1...ositive-labor-market-for-hospital-pharmacists

Next time use Google instead of mindlessly commenting on something you didn't even bother to research.

Sent from my SM-G928T using SDN mobile

I have been working as a pharmacist for 8 years and I had given training to the freshers also. Pharmacy jobs are hard as others, one needs to have complete knowledge about the chemicals of the particular medicines so that they can answer the queries of their customers. It all depends upon the interest of doing the job, you will get the competition everywhere. Without competition, services can never be improved.

Did anyone who derisively commented on the claim, I dunno...actually look it up? It's from the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy (which used DOL data). You can read to your heart's desire about how they came up with their figures:

https://www.ashp.org/news/2018/03/1...ositive-labor-market-for-hospital-pharmacists

Next time use Google instead of mindlessly commenting on something you didn't even bother to research.

Sent from my SM-G928T using SDN mobile

According to the report, the equivalent of 14,600 full-time pharmacy positions in clinicians’ offices will be needed in 2026, a 32.2% increase from 2016. “

THE EQUIVALENT OF.... i.e. 29,200 part-time, 20h/week, no benefits new grads???

Just wondering

I have been working as a pharmacist for 8 years and I had given training to the freshers also. Pharmacy jobs are hard as others, one needs to have complete knowledge about the chemicals of the particular medicines so that they can answer the queries of their customers. It all depends upon the interest of doing the job, you will get the competition everywhere. Without competition, services can never be improved.

Having more pharmacists for less job openings creates the competition for the positions. But this competition in the retail sector is NOT going to improve service to patients, it will improve corporate bottom lines.

Growth of 14k to 15k in the number of jobs over 10 years is not that impressive considering that about that many students graduate from pharmacy schools each year.

D

FYI, ASHP is *NOT* a pro-pharmacist organization. While this ad may be true, it shouldn't be interpreted as good news for a pharmacist. As others have pointed out, given that there will be pharmacist losses in other areas, even if this projected growth is true (and personally, I believe it is NOT true, lot of history of projected pharmacist increases that never happened), but for the sake of argument, we'll say it's true, but the ad still leaves out the fact that there would still be a net loss of pharmacist jobs.

Not to mention, as others point out, "equivalent" jobs, very well could mean 2 -3 part-time people making up the FTE. Although, I guess one could say underemployment is better than no employment.

Everyone wants to be successful.
The desire for success may be universal, but the ability and willingness to follow through is what sets the successful apart.

If you are the type of person that absolutely must live within 20 miles of a particular area, you are going to have to settle for scraps. There are always paths to achieve your goals, but you have to be willing to walk them. It's all about your priorities in life.