Pharm Tech Job - How To Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacazoid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am of course pusuing a carreer in pharmacy and would like to get a job as a pharmacy tech. I had just a few questions I hope you can help with.

1) Should I speak directly with the pharmacy manager rather than just the staff pharmacist when I ask if any openings are availiable ?

2) When is the best time to go speak to a pharmacist - basically when is the slowest time of day ?

3) I an not certified, nor have a taken any formal pharm tech classes..I do however have my bs in biology and have worked in research labs for several years - will it be very difficult to find a position or do you think my background will help ? (yes I am willing to take pay cut)

4) Is it easier to obtain an entry level tech job in a hospital or a retail pharmacy or does it not matter ?

5) Any other advice one can give about looking for a pharm tech job ?

Well thanks for everyones help in advance !!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,
Hi.

I am of course pusuing a carreer in pharmacy and would like to get a job as a pharmacy tech. I had just a few questions I hope you can help with.

Shoot.

1) Should I speak directly with the pharmacy manager rather than just the staff pharmacist when I ask if any openings are availiable ?

The manager, though if they aren't there, you can talk to a staffy.

2) When is the best time to go speak to a pharmacist - basically when is the slowest time of day ?

Before 10AM, between 2PM and 3PM, or after rush hour.

3) I an not certified, nor have a taken any formal pharm tech classes..I do however have my bs in biology and have worked in research labs for several years - will it be very difficult to find a position or do you think my background will help ? (yes I am willing to take pay cut)

They only care if you can be reliable and have some intelligence. Techs partake in little raw science. The degree may help you prove your intelligence.

4) Is it easier to obtain an entry level tech job in a hospital or a retail pharmacy or does it not matter ?

It all depends on how desperate they are for people.

5) Any other advice one can give about looking for a pharm tech job ?

Spread your resume like cancer. The more places it infects, the better.

I don't think there is any method to this madness of getting work as a pharmtech but from my experience here is my advice.
Since you have no training, no certification, or no registration, at least that's what I'm assuming, then you'll have to push your way in. My advice, take the PTCB, get a registration, that’s the only way you will be able to legally work with medication. With limited experience it is almost impossible to work in a hospital unless you know, sleep or pay someone. Ok maybe only the first one. :laugh: Find an independent pharmacy. A pharmacy where only one pharmacist works and ask if you can volunteer. They are more willing to let you hang out with them because it is their pharmacy on the line when you mess up. If they are desperate for help they will keep you and once you work towards you registration, you might be able to get a job.
My advice, DON'T QUIT YOUR JOB until you are on the pay roll. I have a Bachelors, a masters, experience in education as a chemistry teacher but no experience with hospital procedure and therefore cannot get a job as an inpatient technician. I work with two independent pharmacist because I walked in, introduced myself and offered to volunteer for a while first. This is a cruel world, if your looking to gain experience for pharmacy school and if you live in a city saturated with pharmacy techs like I do, your fighting a larger battle. The battle against "lifetime technicians". True, most pharmacist want educated pharmtechs and are willing to help students interested in what they do, but they also want someone who is going to be there past August.
My advice, use your personality, bring a solid resume, write a STRONG letter of interest or introduction and fax or bring in to every pharmacy within a reasonable distance. Take whatever you can get, no matter what, it leads into so many more opportunities.

GOOD LUCK!!!
:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
x2 what the Kernal said.

take your ptcb and get certified. that's your foot in the door. the only person in our pharmacy not certified in some way is either an extern or a clerk, and the clerk just rings up the OTC stuff and signs people in/out. you'll maximize your time at the pharmacy by being certified and having more responsibilities.

i am currently volunteering at the VA hospital in houston and was offered a job after i get my tech license. i guess they really like me woohoo.

do you have to have the pharm tech license in CA to be able to work as a tech?

Hi everyone....I'm new here.:cool:
I went to job hunting today, hopefully can get a pharmacy technician or a pharmacy clerk position. But when I went to Sav-On and Rite Aid, they just told me to use the machines that's near the cashiers to apply for the job. So I did. But I wonder...does it help at all?

I've been a tech in CA for 6 years, and yes you do have to have a license to be a tech. The only two ways that I know of that you can obtain your license now in CA is to either take the PTCB exam or attend a pharm tech program (through a CC, Bryman, or ACC etc).

My pharmacy is pretty small, so techs will often do the same jobs as an ancillary/clerk (ie: typing scripts, calling for refills, ringing out customer etc). I think that if you can get started by at least working in the pharmacy as a clerk or ancillary it's better than nothing and you can study for the PTCB test at the same time to get your tech license.

go find who the person who trains the pharm techs in your local chains. cvs has a good program going on. contact the district trainer and talk to them, im sure they can place you somewhere

I would agree that the best thing for you to do is get certified. The next exam is in February and it is in the new computerized format. I got a job as a clerk at Walgreen's Pharmacy part time (I work full time somewhere else) and Walgreen's paid for my PTCE exam fee as well as provided me with the study materials. They also offered classes for the exam but since it didn't fit into my full time schedule, I basically studied on my own with the books and I passed. As for getting the clerk job in the first place (I had no experience in a pharmacy), what I did was made a strong resume and cover letter geared towards a pharm clerk position (I can help you with it) and I actually walked to the pharmacies, introduced myself, and gave them my resume. Of course you still have to submit your application online, but if the pharmacists like you, they will keep an eye out for your application and expedite the process, because it takes a while for the application to even get reviewed in the first place. But definitely sign up for the next PTCE exam because being certified is will help. As a matter of fact, the Walgreen's that I work is going to let go of all their cashier/clerks because they only want technicians. There is a shortage right now.

I would agree that the best thing for you to do is get certified. The next exam is in February and it is in the new computerized format. I got a job as a clerk at Walgreen's Pharmacy part time (I work full time somewhere else) and Walgreen's paid for my PTCE exam fee as well as provided me with the study materials. They also offered classes for the exam but since it didn't fit into my full time schedule, I basically studied on my own with the books and I passed. As for getting the clerk job in the first place (I had no experience in a pharmacy), what I did was made a strong resume and cover letter geared towards a pharm clerk position (I can help you with it) and I actually walked to the pharmacies, introduced myself, and gave them my resume. Of course you still have to submit your application online, but if the pharmacists like you, they will keep an eye out for your application and expedite the process, because it takes a while for the application to even get reviewed in the first place. But definitely sign up for the next PTCE exam because being certified is will help. As a matter of fact, the Walgreen's that I work is going to let go of all their cashier/clerks because they only want technicians. There is a shortage right now.

I am pretty much in the same situation, going to get my BS in biology in May, and volunteered in hospital pharmacy before, but didnt learn much since i dont have any license. I have tried to apply walgreens online for several times, and called numbers of stores, but none of them are hiring, they just told me to apply online and wait for the call. = ( should i just take the pharm tech exam and apply again????? I have also tried to apply CVS, walmart, sav-on, i never heard anything back. what should i do????