Pharm Technician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bung001

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you become a pharmacist Technician? do you just walk into walgreens and ask them if they are currently hiring pharmacist technician.. and if they are~ do they give you training?

Members don't see this ad.

bung001 said:
How do you become a pharmacist Technician? do you just walk into walgreens and ask them if they are currently hiring pharmacist technician.. and if they are~ do they give you training?

Take the PTCB and get a tech license 6 weeks later. Just make sure and study before you take the test.... :p

Members don't see this ad :)
bung001 said:

Most of my friends told me exact same thing that you wrote above. They told me to get in any retail pharmacy store and ask for the job...I dont think that is a good idea, especially for me who have no clue what a pharm tech does , so I've just decided to take a pharmacy technician class at a college. The class is a short term, and it really fits my schedule with homework and volunteering and housework chores and weekend job....So why not ? Getting a little bit experience before asking for the job is much a better idea :) And I think I will have more chance to get the job if I attend a class .

Depends on the state you want to work in

bung001 said:

Yes, it does depend on the state and you either initially or eventually have to become certified. But here's my question to you:

What are you waiting for? Go to Walgreens and ask them about the state and company policies. If you find out that you can do tech work without being certified and Walgreens only hires certifieds, then go to other chains and ask about their policy. If no chains like to hire certifieds, then go to Mom and Pop Pharmacies.

If your state does not require you to be certified, I highly encourage you to get on at a pharmacy prior to sitting for the Certification Exam. Why? Three reasons, one is that many companies will pay for your $100+ exam fee, two, you will really see if you like pharmacy, and three, you will not have to study as much for the exam because you will learn a lot on the job. Note, I just sat for my exam last weekend, and I assure you that I answered several questions because I worked at the pharmacy, because some questions were not covered in the books and probably not in Want to Make More Money? classes either (although there were not too many).

phuongvu said:
Most of my friends told me exact same thing that you wrote above. They told me to get in any retail pharmacy store and ask for the job...I dont think that is a good idea, especially for me who have no clue what a pharm tech does , so I've just decided to take a pharmacy technician class at a college. The class is a short term, and it really fits my schedule with homework and volunteering and housework chores and weekend job....So why not ? Getting a little bit experience before asking for the job is much a better idea :) And I think I will have more chance to get the job if I attend a class .

Sorry, but I disagree. A pharmacy tech is an easy position to enter. A class can help, but so much "hands on" experiences can be learned in the actual pharmacy. That is, if your state allows pharmacies to hire uncertifieds.

I got in at Target uncertified, and after telling the pharmacy manager that I was planning to go into pharmacy school and joking how stupid Organic hell was becoming, she explained to me that becoming certified is just a matter of taking a test. So many questions on this test are encountered daily, if not hourly, at the pharmacy too.

So, my advice is to go into a pharmacy head on if you can. Lets face it, some techs are trying to get into Pharmacy school, but the majority of techs are simply high school graduates who are not college bound. If you can handle your Pre-Pharm curriculum, you can definitely handle a tech job. Personally, I think classes can help, but since its just a matter of passing a test, you are better off studying on your own. In my opinion, those classes are intended for those people that are not college bound.

Bottom line, your intentions are not to be a pharmacy tech for the rest of your life (if it was, then why are you here). So why invest in classes (time and money) if they are not necessary in becoming a tech?

TennisBoy78 said:
Sorry, but I disagree. A pharmacy tech is an easy position to enter. A class can help, but so much "hands on" experiences can be learned in the actual pharmacy. That is, if your state allows pharmacies to hire uncertifieds.

I got in at Target uncertified, and after telling the pharmacy manager that I was planning to go into pharmacy school and joking how stupid Organic hell was becoming, she explained to me that becoming certified is just a matter of taking a test. So many questions on this test are encountered daily, if not hourly, at the pharmacy too.

So, my advice is to go into a pharmacy head on if you can. Lets face it, some techs are trying to get into Pharmacy school, but the majority of techs are simply high school graduates who are not college bound. If you can handle your Pre-Pharm curriculum, you can definitely handle a tech job. Personally, I think classes can help, but since its just a matter of passing a test, you are better off studying on your own. In my opinion, those classes are intended for those people that are not college bound.

Bottom line, your intentions are not to be a pharmacy tech for the rest of your life (if it was, then why are you here). So why invest in classes (time and money) if they are not necessary in becoming a tech?

I attend the pharm tech class, but I will not take the certificate test...The class will offer a training in real pharmacy stores for more than one month...yeah that's why I said taking that class would help me ...The class is only 1 month and a half. And I only have to go to the class for 2 days/week.

My real intention is to become a pharmacist, and trust me, I stick with that dream for the rest of the next 20 years.

In CA I think a class is required

I work at Walgreens and I started with no experience and obtained my certification after working there a year or so...(They pay for it)...If you want to get a job at Walgreens, apply online or at the store on the computer they have there...you are going to have to do a math assessment and stuff and they choose who to hire based upon those scores...It also couldn't hurt to talk to the RX manager and tell him/her your interest in pharm school and getting experience etc...Hope this helps! :)

jlpolla said:
I work at Walgreens and I started with no experience and obtained my certification after working there a year or so...(They pay for it)...If you want to get a job at Walgreens, apply online or at the store on the computer they have there...you are going to have to do a math assessment and stuff and they choose who to hire based upon those scores...It also couldn't hurt to talk to the RX manager and tell him/her your interest in pharm school and getting experience etc...Hope this helps! :)

What kind of assessment did you do ? Is it only math ?

jlpolla said:

Maybe TMI, but why did you wait so long to become certified? I just took the test this past weekend (I started as a tech in March of this year). I could have taken it in May, but I was finishing my classes in college (and Organic II).

I was amazed at one of the survey questions asking how many hours did I study for the test. I did some, but so much is learned on the job. I don't know how classes for pharmacy tech studies are structured, but so many questions I know about from hands on experiences in the pharmacy. Maybe you can learn some things in a classroom, but I dont think it is necessary to study if you can work in a pharmacy.

bung001 said:
How do you become a pharmacist Technician? do you just walk into walgreens and ask them if they are currently hiring pharmacist technician.. and if they are~ do they give you training?[/QUOT

I spent almost a year going to pharmacies and asking if I could get a tech job but I couldn't. I decided to ask the pharmacists at the stores I was applying to what I needed to do to get pharmacy experience since I'm getting ready to apply to Pharm school. All of a sudden, I started getting positive responses and on Friday I start working at a Walgreens, 15 hrs a week. I suggest you apply online then call the pharmacies you are interested in and ask if you can speak to the pharmacy manager. Let them know of your interest and don't forget to mention that you are applying (getting ready to apply) to Pharm school. They may ask you to start off as a pharmacy clerk and that's a good way to get your foot in the door. For me, I found out that mentioning my interest in attending Pharm school is what made the big difference.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmChem said:
bung001 said:
How do you become a pharmacist Technician? do you just walk into walgreens and ask them if they are currently hiring pharmacist technician.. and if they are~ do they give you training?[/QUOT

I spent almost a year going to pharmacies and asking if I could get a tech job but I couldn't. I decided to ask the pharmacists at the stores I was applying to what I needed to do to get pharmacy experience since I'm getting ready to apply to Pharm school. All of a sudden, I started getting positive responses and on Friday I start working at a Walgreens, 15 hrs a week. I suggest you apply online then call the pharmacies you are interested in and ask if you can speak to the pharmacy manager. Let them know of your interest and don't forget to mention that you are applying (getting ready to apply) to Pharm school. They may ask you to start off as a pharmacy clerk and that's a good way to get your foot in the door. For me, I found out that mentioning my interest in attending Pharm school is what made the big difference.

Good Luck!

Same here. I tried for a year asking for pharm tech job but couldn't. I got accepted in pharmacy school and at the beginning of this summer I tried again and mentioned that I will be starting pharmacy school this fall and the manager seemed to like me. She had a pharm tech take me their office and apply on their computer. Then about 2 weeks later I got a call from them and it sounded promising until they figured out I won't be here when school start. They wanted to hire someone that will work for them longer than just the summer. So I'm still jobless. I guess I can now look for internship instead. My suggestion is to NOT tell them where you intend to be in the next few months. Being too honest may backfire, at least it did for me in this case.

PharmChem said:
bung001 said:

Good Luck!

Wow thankyou PharmCHem~ i've spent a whole month going to different pharmacies~ i think 8 in all~ and i couldnt get a tech job. I guess i'll have to mention to them that i will be applying for pharm school soon and that i need experience. thanx for your help!*

People, why didn't you mention that in the first place? Everyone knows that one's chances of success at landing ANY job is to speak to the manager and express your intentions. Simply applying and not speaking to the source is like doing nothing at all.

FYI, when I applied to my pharmacies, if I couldn't get to speak to the pharmacy manager because I was being given the runaround, I IMMEDIATELY scratched them off of my list. I'm not going to waste my time repeatedly trying unsuccessfully to land a job if I see a store is not going to give me the time of day.

In my pharmacy, we currently dont need any help. When people come in off the street, we tell them to apply to the main store (which probably does nothing because we dont need anyone at the present time). However, when pharmacy or pre-pharm students come in, they immediately speak to our pharm manager. Since we currently dont need help at our store, we will direct them to the appropriate store that may have a need.

I dont know if I said this on this forum, but let me say this: Try Mom and Pop Pharmacies. They are much more willing to hire anybody because they are not constrained by corporate policies that chains have to adhere to. Even if they can only give you 3 hours a week, it is better than nothing, and you can still volunteer.

bung001 said:
PharmChem said:
Wow thankyou PharmCHem~ i've spent a whole month going to different pharmacies~ i think 8 in all~ and i couldnt get a tech job. I guess i'll have to mention to them that i will be applying for pharm school soon and that i need experience. thanx for your help!*

You are welcome! let us know how that works for you.

It's also more difficult when you live in a small town with limited number of pharmacies. When I tried to get a pharm tech job WHILE I was doing my pre-reqs, I got no luck, and yes I mentioned that to them. They don't care that you need the experience in order to strengthen your application. It's whether you show up at the right place at the right time. It also helps if you have a friend that works in one to recommend you. I had no such thing. However, they showed much more interest in me AFTER I was accepted in pharmacy school.

DuocSi2010 said:
It's also more difficult when you live in a small town with limited number of pharmacies. When I tried to get a pharm tech job WHILE I was doing my pre-reqs, I got no luck, and yes I mentioned that to them. They don't care that you need the experience in order to strengthen your application. It's whether you show up at the right place at the right time. It also helps if you have a friend that works in one to recommend you. I had no such thing. However, they showed much more interest in me AFTER I was accepted in pharmacy school.

This is the truth in many towns. I have been applying for tech jobs for around 8 months now. A few months ago we got a new Walgreens in the area. The place was stocked with employees from the start. I went in to talk with the pharmacy manager and no one seemed to care very much. I have gone in to three other pharmacies besides Walgreens to talk to the pharmacy managers. Twice I have stressed that I'm in Pre-Pharmacy and it didn't help to sway. I even asked one pharmacist if they considered taking in volunteers. I don't think he had any experience with that.

Anyway, I actually work in a pharmacy as a cashier. I have a pharmacy license and I am still not sought after in our pharmacy. Actually, we have hired 3 new technicians since I professed my own interest in becoming a tech at our store. I now have a pharmacy license and I have taken the national certification test... all without being able to get a job at the pharmacy I'm employed at. Politics and demographics are a priority to getting a tech job.

Poland said:
This is the truth in many towns. I have been applying for tech jobs for around 8 months now. A few months ago we got a new Walgreens in the area. The place was stocked with employees from the start. I went in to talk with the pharmacy manager and no one seemed to care very much. I have gone in to three other pharmacies besides Walgreens to talk to the pharmacy managers. Twice I have stressed that I'm in Pre-Pharmacy and it didn't help to sway. I even asked one pharmacist if they considered taking in volunteers. I don't think he had any experience with that.

Anyway, I actually work in a pharmacy as a cashier. I have a pharmacy license and I am still not sought after in our pharmacy. Actually, we have hired 3 new technicians since I professed my own interest in becoming a tech at our store. I now have a pharmacy license and I have taken the national certification test... all without being able to get a job at the pharmacy I'm employed at. Politics and demographics are a priority to getting a tech job.

Same here! When I went into Walgreens a month ago to talk to the manager, she said they're opening a new one on the other side of town and she'll be the head manager there. Everything seemed promising but I never got a call from them. Instead I got a call from another Walgreens in a different town but they didn't hire me when they know I won't be here when school starts. :(

That's great that you landed a job in the pharmacy even though it's only cashier. That's a start! I hope they'll promote you soon to pharm tech! I'm sorry to hear they hired 3 techs while you're there. That's strange that they didn't bump you up since you ARE certified. :confused:

DuocSi2010 said:

If nobody had given me a job as a pharmacy tech before the end of this month, I was going to go to one of the hospitals in town and ask if I could volunteer for 5 hr a week. Having a full time job already and trying to work on my prereqs, plus being a single parent with closest family a 6 hr flight away that would have been good for me. So, if you happen to be in a small town and nobody can hire you, I suggest you volunteer at least 5 hr a week at your local hospital pharmacy. I hear that schools value that highly, of course the down side is that you don't get paid for it, but you've got to do what you can to get into Pharm School.

Here in Southern Ohio, its a hiring fest. At least for Walgreens. I know of 10-15 stores that need to hire at least one tech for the winter. Anyone that wants to be a tech can be one, as long as you pass the Walgreens application test.

PharmChem said:
If nobody had given me a job as a pharmacy tech before the end of this month, I was going to go to one of the hospitals in town and ask if I could volunteer for 5 hr a week. Having a full time job already and trying to work on my prereqs, plus being a single parent with closest family a 6 hr flight away that would have been good for me. So, if you happen to be in a small town and nobody can hire you, I suggest you volunteer at least 5 hr a week at your local hospital pharmacy. I hear that schools value that highly, of course the down side is that you don't get paid for it, but you've got to do what you can to get into Pharm School.

Well that was exactly what I did. It took the hospital a long time before they let me volunteer though. I never thought anyone would turn down free labor and be that difficult but they had to check my background and what not. I volunteered for 100+ hours, 10 hours a week, sometimes more because they were usually short of people. I guess it IS true that school value volunteering highly because I got in my school!

The only bad thing is when I volunteered for them, the pharmacists said they'd get me a pharm tech job here later and that never happened. It could be that I left town for school for almost 2 years so they might've given up the spot to someone else by then.

Milk Man said:
Here in Southern Ohio, its a hiring fest. At least for Walgreens. I know of 10-15 stores that need to hire at least one tech for the winter. Anyone that wants to be a tech can be one, as long as you pass the Walgreens application test.

Man if only I live there. The Walgreens application test was lengthy but fairly easy, until I got to the short hand thing and I had to clue.