pharmacy degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuietStorm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How wise is it to pursue a Doctor of Pharmacy degree before pursuing an MD? Any thoughts? Has someone done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really see an advantage to this, unless you would like to spend an additional four years earning a degree that you won't use. I suppose if you got a Pharm.D., practiced for a few years and decided that medicine was really where you belonged the adcoms might be interested because you have "life-experience." But there is also a debate on whether or not P.A.'s should become M.D.'s. Obviously there are exceptions, but I think that most people think the answer to the P.A. question is "no". I'm guessing that many would feel the same about a Pharm.D. going into med school right out of pharmacy school. Good Luck.

I have a good friend who completed a 5 year Pharmacy program and then went straight to med school. She was very successful on the interview trail so don't worry about it, but do have very specific reasons (other than $$$) to go to med school.
Good luck.

I can't imagine it will confer you any advantage in obtaining a medical school admission if that's your consideration. However, if you are interested in Clinical Pharmacology as well as Medicine you will be a very valuable attending - my Medicine attending was one and I learned heaps during that rotation from him (sadly, I've forgotten it all!)

Do be aware/ready for the inevitable questions about being a career-switching dilettante.

------------------
PGY1
Penn State University
Department of Surgery