pharmacy degree

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by QuietStorm, Apr 22, 2001.

1. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Junior Member

How wise is it to pursue a Doctor of Pharmacy degree before pursuing an MD? Any thoughts? Has someone done this before?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

I can't really see an advantage to this, unless you would like to spend an additional four years earning a degree that you won't use. I suppose if you got a Pharm.D., practiced for a few years and decided that medicine was really where you belonged the adcoms might be interested because you have "life-experience." But there is also a debate on whether or not P.A.'s should become M.D.'s. Obviously there are exceptions, but I think that most people think the answer to the P.A. question is "no". I'm guessing that many would feel the same about a Pharm.D. going into med school right out of pharmacy school. Good Luck.

4. spacecadet22

spacecadet22 Senior Member

I have a good friend who completed a 5 year Pharmacy program and then went straight to med school. She was very successful on the interview trail so don't worry about it, but do have very specific reasons (other than $$$) to go to med school.
    Good luck.

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    I can't imagine it will confer you any advantage in obtaining a medical school admission if that's your consideration. However, if you are interested in Clinical Pharmacology as well as Medicine you will be a very valuable attending - my Medicine attending was one and I learned heaps during that rotation from him (sadly, I've forgotten it all!)

Do be aware/ready for the inevitable questions about being a career-switching dilettante.

------------------
    PGY1
    Penn State University
    Department of Surgery