Pharmacy Fraternities...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jGpharmD

P1 PharmD Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to post this in one of the other threads, but it seems to have dissolved into a fraternity vs non-fraternity flame war.

Anyways, I know my school has at least two "fraternities": Kappa Epsilon and Kappa Psi.

Now I think KE is basically a sorority, as in only females are allowed to join. I'm not so sure about KP, I want to say that both males and females are allowed in.

My question is this: Are there any "fraternities" where only males are allowed to join? I have nothing against females of course, but I feel that I would like to consider joining an actual fraternity (all male).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to post this in one of the other threads, but it seems to have dissolved into a fraternity vs non-fraternity flame war.

Anyways, I know my school has at least two "fraternities": Kappa Epsilon and Kappa Psi.

Now I think KE is basically a sorority, as in only females are allowed to join. I'm not so sure about KP, I want to say that both males and females are allowed in.

My question is this: Are there any "fraternities" where only males are allowed to join? I have nothing against females of course, but I feel that I would like to consider joining an actual fraternity (all male).

Thanks!

Kappa Psi is all male.

EDIT: Phi Delta Chi used to be all male but they are a male/female fraternity now.

Members don't see this ad :)
meh, so that means even if my school's chapter is all male, my national "brothers" may actually be sisters.

That's unfortunate...

Anywho, found this:

"In 1976, Kappa Psi admitted females into the fraternity, and now the vast majority of the chapters are co-ed. Those chapters that remain all-male have done so because of the strong activity of other professional fraternities and sororities on campus who attract those interested in alternative bases of membership, such as co-ed or all-female."

That's unfortunate...

Anywho, found this:

"In 1976, Kappa Psi admitted females into the fraternity, and now the vast majority of the chapters are co-ed. Those chapters that remain all-male have done so because of the strong activity of other professional fraternities and sororities on campus who attract those interested in alternative bases of membership, such as co-ed or all-female."

Yeah so if you have just KE and KY then your chapter is probably all male if I had to bet on it. You should ask one of their members, not all chapters are national heavy so you'll be around your all-male brothers rather than the sisters that you don't want.

Yeah so if you have just KE and KY then your chapter is probably all male if I had to bet on it. You should ask one of their members, not all chapters are national heavy so you'll be around your all-male brothers rather than the sisters that you don't want.

All the frats at UA are coed. PDC, KE, and KY

We have LKS, KPsi, PDX, and AZO at UConn. LKS is all female, KPsi is all male, and PDX and AZO are co-ed.

We have LKS, KPsi, PDX, and AZO at UConn. LKS is all female, KPsi is all male, and PDX and AZO are co-ed.

Talked to the IO awhile back and apparently a lot of unigender greek orgs went co-ed in the 70's relating to title IX. It seems to be something they look at the school, other greek orgs on campus, and take into consideration administration requests and decide on a chapter by chapter basis. Hence at USC LKS is Co-ed, but apparently at UConn it's not. Same probably goes for other frats.

All Shenandoah frats (KE, PDC, KY) are coed as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
meh, so that means even if my school's chapter is all male, my national "brothers" may actually be sisters.
no, they would be brothers that are females. Some of the females of the fraternity im a part of are the best brothers in the fraternity...

Not true...it's chapter specific. Some schools that have a KY and KE chapter, both are co-ed. Now the majority of members in KE are female but KY is co-ed. It really depends on the chapter.

Question: why do you want to be in a fraternity that is all male anyway?

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/01/10/the-decline-of-male-space/

Scroll down to the section about fraternities...

I don't have anything against females, but I do think that each gender deserves their times and areas they can call their own.

So what's your point? Pharmacy fraternities are professional fraternities, not social. If you're looking to be social and you want to drink and waste away then join an undergrad social fraternity. If you just want to be social then hang out with your male friends or go to the bar and watch the rest of the World Cup.

You're missing the point... would you group the Freemasons together with SigEp or ChiPsi or any other silly drinking frat?

You're missing the point... would you group the Freemasons together with SigEp or ChiPsi or any other silly drinking frat?

I'm not a member of the Freemasons and since they are a secret organization, I can't comment and neither can you.

some schools that have actual frat houses (Pacific is an example I can think of) are male-only just due to campus rules and the specifics there.

KY was co-ed at UNM.

What is wrong with pharmacy fraternities? It is a great way to meet people and network.

What is wrong with pharmacy fraternities? It is a great way to meet people and network.

Absolutely nothing, I just think the idea of you choosing one because of the gender of the members is silly.

While some on this post think that co-ed, all female and all male organizations are the same, I know what you are talking about. Professional doesn't me that you need to homogenate the sexes. Men and women are different for reasons and to make entry into a fraternal organization the same for both takes away from what brotherhood/sisterhood is supposed to mean. Just because you study the same subject doesn't mean that all professional fraternities have to be co-ed. Just look toward the military where men and women train separately and have different standards, but can still serve together as equals after basic.

While some on this post think that co-ed, all female and all male organizations are the same, I know what you are talking about. Professional doesn't me that you need to homogenate the sexes. Men and women are different for reasons and to make entry into a fraternal organization the same for both takes away from what brotherhood/sisterhood is supposed to mean. Just because you study the same subject doesn't mean that all professional fraternities have to be co-ed. Just look toward the military where men and women train separately and have different standards, but can still serve together as equals after basic.

Your narrow view of gender roles is extremely disappointing. How can you equate the military with fraternities at a pharmacy school?

Do you also believe that women only belong in the kitchen? :laugh: Like rxlea said, equating military training and a college fraternity is a big absurd.

Okay, to clear things up, because of Title IX, ALL professional organizations MUST be open to both men and women.

So yes, all the pharmacy fraternities are coed. My chapter of LKS just elected two guys as president and VP. Which is apparently still rare, but I know if I were a straight guy, I'd want to be surrounded by women at parties.

But hey, jG, if you want to go to sausagefest parties, there's nothing wrong with that.

Okay, to clear things up, because of Title IX, ALL professional organizations MUST be open to both men and women.

Please back up your claims.

http://www.dol.gov/oasam/regs/statutes/titleix.htm
(6) Social fraternities or sororities; voluntary youth service organizations
this section shall not apply to membership practices --
(A) of a social fraternity or social sorority which is exempt from taxation under section 501(a) of Title 26, the active membership of which consists primarily of students in attendance at an institution of higher education

So yes, all the pharmacy fraternities are coed. My chapter of LKS just elected two guys as president and VP. Which is apparently still rare, but I know if I were a straight guy, I'd want to be surrounded by women at parties.

But hey, jG, if you want to go to sausagefest parties, there's nothing wrong with that.

Like jG said, Title IX doesn't protect fraternities. That is why the Boy Scouts can restrict atheists and women. But nonetheless, I still agree with you.

So wrong it hurts! Fail.

My chapter of LKS just elected two guys as president and VP. Which is apparently still rare, but I know if I were a straight guy, I'd want to be surrounded by women at parties.

Just finished as president of my chapter of LKS, but I'm married, so the latter doesn't really apply. Though the wife and kids often attend frat functions with me.

Just finished as president of my chapter of LKS, but I'm married, so the latter doesn't really apply. Though the wife and kids often attend frat functions with me.

Did you go to any of the conventions? I remember there being a few men in Philly, Savannah, and Hartford, but I don't think any went to Vegas.

Story time! When LKS first started including men, there was a discussion about what to call these new "sisters." Some of the alumni wanted to call them "male members." I'm pretty sure that idea was thrown out.

Did you go to any of the conventions? I remember there being a few men in Philly, Savannah, and Hartford, but I don't think any went to Vegas.

Story time! When LKS first started including men, there was a discussion about what to call these new "sisters." Some of the alumni wanted to call them "male members." I'm pretty sure that idea was thrown out.

Doesn't PDC, KY, and KE do that?

I went to Hartford. I'll be in Pittsburgh in August representing my chapter. I was a newby when they had it in Savannah and no way could I afford that trip. They just call me by my name, or they'll say ladies...oh and guy. Though, now we're up to 3 guys in the chapter. Have an alum that started a FB page "lambda lions" Either way.

Please back up your claims.

http://www.dol.gov/oasam/regs/statutes/titleix.htm
(6) Social fraternities or sororities; voluntary youth service organizations
this section shall not apply to membership practices --
(A) of a social fraternity or social sorority which is exempt from taxation under section 501(a) of Title 26, the active membership of which consists primarily of students in attendance at an institution of higher education

Did you see that "social" part there? Professional organizations aren't social fraternities/sororities. Organizations like Phi Beta Sigma and Kappa Delta are social. Pharmacy frats are professional.

Maybe some chapters are all male or all female, but that's de facto and no professional organization is allowed to reject a potential member based solely on gender.

And why would you call guys "male members" instead of the obvious "brothers?" Likewise, why would you call women "brothers?" I assume you don't do that to your biological siblings...

Did you see that "social" part there? Professional organizations aren't social fraternities/sororities. Organizations like Phi Beta Sigma and Kappa Delta are social. Pharmacy frats are professional.

Maybe some chapters are all male or all female, but that's de facto and no professional organization is allowed to reject a potential member based solely on gender.

And why would you call guys "male members" instead of the obvious "brothers?" Likewise, why would you call women "brothers?" I assume you don't do that to your biological siblings...

The professional fraternity that I was a member of in college was exempt from taxation under section 501(a) of Title 26 so I guess all fraternities are considered social.

Because Phi Delta Chi, Kappa Psi, and Kappa Epsilon are exempt from that taxation then they are not bound by discrimination laws. These chapters that have male only or female only rules are allowed to do what they want because they answer to no one (minus the Dean of students I assume). I know it's a poor comparison but the KKK was considered a social "fraternity" just like the Masons. If they want to exclude people of color or gender then it's legal.

I think he misunderstood my question or was trying to do the fraternity twist of my question. Of course you shouldn't call them male members, they are called brothers. BUT I do know that one of those three fraternities mentioned calls their female members "brothers" as a tribute to the original founding of the fraternity that was male only.

KY and PDC were both co-ed at NOVA in SoFlorida. KY was the more social group that had the hotter girls and cooler dudes. The latter had more nerdy academians, however when I attended my chapter of KY won the acholarship honors for highest GPA.

I'm part of Kappa Psi Little sisters and at my school we are co-ed but not really. We only party together and take the picture together but all other activities are separate. Ask a member and see if your school is like this as well.

KY and PDC were both co-ed at NOVA in SoFlorida. KY was the more social group that had the hotter girls and cooler dudes. The latter had more nerdy academians, however when I attended my chapter of KY won the acholarship honors for highest GPA.
And they continue to receive academic honors...not sure if you were trying to insult the KY people at Nova insinuating they are alcoholics or if that is a spelling mistake on your part...

And they continue to receive academic honors...not sure if you were trying to insult the KY people at Nova insinuating they are alcoholics or if that is a spelling mistake on your part...

Not saying anything bad about either. I am a Kappa Psi brother. When I attended, KY was much more social, PHI DElta Chi was known to be the study bugs. The ironic part I mentioned is that Kappa Psi was receiving honors when I attended.

Not saying anything bad about either. I am a Kappa Psi brother. When I attended, KY was much more social, PHI DElta Chi was known to be the study bugs. The ironic part I mentioned is that Kappa Psi was receiving honors when I attended.

Oh that's interesting. At my chapter, PDX is known more as the party frat. It's pretty easy to get in. Come to think of it, its seems to operate more like a social fraternity even though it maybe be considered professional. KPsi is a frat that focuses more on building leadership and KE is well...is rather small..with mostly married folks..no one really knows what they focus on..community service, academics??

This is just at my chapter as I know the pledging process and focus for each chapter may be somewhat different.

For my chapter, all three frats are co-ed