Pharmacy in the Military

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rx_of_Music

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know about pharmacy in the military. Is anyone familiar with the benefits (salary, special pay, loan repayment, enlistment bonuses, etc...) each service offers? I know there is a Military forum, but they don’t focus on pharmacy. Thanks in advance for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

I would like to know about pharmacy in the military. Is anyone familiar with the benefits (salary, special pay, loan repayment, enlistment bonuses, etc...) each service offers? I know there is a Military forum, but they don’t focus on pharmacy. Thanks in advance for any information.

Nice to see that you're still around, Rx - how'd your first year at Georgia go?

healthcare.goarmy.com

I was on it last night, it's rather informative, but it takes a little searching to find the pharmacy specific info.

Basically, for a PharmD, they'll either give you a $30,000 sign on, or $111,000 over 4 years towards loans. You'll do a 1 year residency at 1 of 4 sites (DC, Hawaii, San Antonio, or ...one other place I forget)

check it out, it interesting

Members don't see this ad :)
THats pretty interesting I would consider...

THats pretty interesting I would consider...

Now, the website goarmy.com is just for the Army.... you could also be a pharmacist for the Navy or the Air Force, so you should also look into those services.

For any military service, if you plan to go in as a pharmacist, you'd be an officer..... so you'd need to speak to an Officer recruiter, not the five or six soldiers at the recruiting station down the street. It's best if you can speak to a Healthcare Recruiter or a Medical Recruiter, so be sure to ask for those. They're usually accessible through larger colleges that have both an ROTC unit and medical-related majors (nursing, pre-professional, etc) or even med schools.

If you go in as an officer (which you would be, as a pharmacist), there won't be any "enlistment bonuses." It may sound like I'm splitting semantic hairs here, but you absolutely need to be sure you don't throw around terminology like "enlistment" or anything with enlist- in it. That's a whole different ball game.

I was considering going back into the Army after I graduated Pharm School. Speaking from experience, I know that the Army really tests your limits and takes care of their professionals. I worked with veterinarians solely because the Army in all its wisdom had recently separated our command (VETCOM, or the Veterinary Command) from the Army's total heathcare-wide command, or MEDCOM (Medical Command), but our particular branch worked alot with the local hospital, but fiscally, we had been weened off from the total medical department and are now our own separate entity in the Army. As a PharmD holder, you'd enter as an O3, Captain, in the Medical Services Corps of Officers. You cannot be in it for the money. You cannot be in it for he money. Total pay is your base pay (or rank pay) plus a monthly allowance for food and housing (which fluctuates if you have dependents, but can be as much as half of your total take home pay). The short-term pay is nothing though, because all ranks are paid the same- something to do with the value of the rank over the value of the position, so you're paid the same as a captain (with 0 year of experience and 0 years in service) as the guy whose been in for years and worked his way from Lieutenant to Captain (usually an automatic promotion after 3 years). What you can't quanitfy is what makes the military the best of similar civilian alternatives: 1. You retire after 20 yrs. You begin collecting retirement after 20 years and you don't have to wait til 65. The retirement benefit is noncontributory, and I think you get 40-50% of your base pay.. so say you acheived the rank of Colonel after 20 years of service. Base pay for an O6 Colonel is around $6-7000 monthly.. so you get roughly half of that. So if you start at 24, and retire at 44, that leaves you in a good place with years of experience and an active pension, with at least 20 years of work left in you to build another retirement nest egg in the civilian sector. But for retirement purpose, base pay is all you get, which is pay strictly based on your rank at the time of retirement. 2. The experience. No company on the planet can boast a practice that gives you experience in all facades of the field. The Army controls a wide array of practices, so you might start as a hospital pharmacist, and at your next duty site you may be placed in a small community based practice (retail equivalent). You may do some research. The Army loves to start their new medical professionals off as a local MEDDAC (Medical Dept. Activity) commanders. This is your first taste of leadership. You basically command all the enlisted personnel (all the technicians- pharm techs, radiotechs, medical techs, etc. all non officer personnel) from the base hospital. Every MEDDAC Commander I've encountered were newly acquired doctors, pharmacists and other healthcare professionals in the Army, and so are usually captains. As you move up in rank you move up in responsibility. By the time you're a field grade officer (O4-O6: Major, Lt. Colonel and Colonel) you have the opportunity to transcend beyond your degree and into a broader spectrum of healthcare management. So you might be in charge of a particular hospital dept (all of pharmacy dept.). and work your way up to the hospital commander, responsible for the entire operations of a base hospital (these are usually Colonels). I was enlisted as a food/health inspector, which was apart of the VETCOM (Veterinary Command) and all of our officers were Veterinarians. As doctorate holders, they too come in as Captains. Promotions are good as a MEDCOM (Medical Command- or the entire Medical Forces for the Army) officers, and so the sky is the limit, If rank and leading people appeals to you. It does to me, which I why I'm seriously considering joining again after graduation. A guy I went thru job training with back in 1997 when I first enlisted is now a medical dept. recruiter. The Army will repay loans up to $30,500 a year for 4 years, so there's opportunity to lose your debt. For my dept. and most of the medical personnel who belong to the hospital, you're existence is basically a 9-5 existence. With the permission of the hospital commander, or your supervisor, alot of the professionals were given permission to take on local practices as long as it didn't conflict with their military duties, so alot of hospital personnel got secondary jobs at civilian hospitals. This is all unadvertised information that you wouldn't know about. The Army doesn't advertise this, so it's something I know after spending 4 years in the Army. Feel free to PM me is you guys have any other questions, I'll try to help.

Thanks for the info morphine, this is something I have been thinking on for a while too

Here's a couple of blurbs from the website:
(if it were me I'd take the loan repayment)

PHARMACY PRACTICE RESIDENCY PROGRAM
If you're pursuing a future as a pharmacist, this program will provide you with 12 months of essential training at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, D.C., Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii, Madigan Army Medical Center in Tacoma, Washington or Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. To qualify, you must:

Have completed either a bachelor's or doctorate degree in pharmacy
Be younger than 46.5 years of age
Applicants who have earned a bachelor's degree will be commissioned as Second Lieutenants. If you have a pharmacy doctorate degree, you'll be commissioned as a Captain. The Active-Duty service obligation is 48 months, including the residency. If combined with the Accession Bonus or with loan repayment the Active-Duty service obligation will increase.

HEALTH PROFESSIONAL LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM
The Health Professional Loan Repayment Program for Active-Duty Officers provides up to $111,000 for repayment of educational loans for Pharmacists. Payment is made in increments of $27,998 (less tax) annually for each year of your Active-Duty commitment.

PHARMACISTS ACCESSION BONUS
Become a pharmacy Officer in the Medical Service Corps and you can receive a $30,000 bonus just for signing up. In order to qualify for this program, you must:

Be qualified to become and remain licensed or registered with a current license to practice as a pharmacist in the United States, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or a U.S. territory within one year of entry into Active Duty.
This bonus is paid for a four-year contract only and is paid in a lump sum at your first duty station. The Accession Bonus cannot be combined with the loan repayment benefit.

Nice to see that you're still around, Rx - how'd your first year at Georgia go?
It went by fast! I guess when you stay that busy time really does fly by. Congrats on getting into Auburn! Enjoy your summer off so that you are ready for the fun to begin.

Thanks for the information. I already have 6 years of military service from my tour in the Marine Corps. I would also like to hear about other branches (Air Force and Navy) if anyone knows about their programs. Plus don't medical officers get special pay in addition to their Base Pay, BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) and VHA (Variable Housing Allowance). I know physicians do in the Air Force, but I can't find any of their information specific to pharmacists. Thanks again.

Everyone gets BAS, BAH if they live off base. It fluctuates if you have dependants. You also get COLA if you are stationed in places like Hawaii. Health/dental insurance are covered. Purchases at the PX are tax-free.

If you look solely at the base pay, it looks like crap. Once you roll the rest in, the pay is comparable.

The Army program is appealling. Seeing as I have 7 years TIS (USMC), maybe I could swing an O-4 position instead. :thumbup:

2007 pay scales

Now, the website goarmy.com is just for the Army.... you could also be a pharmacist for the Navy or the Air Force, so you should also look into those services.
I spoke with a Navy recruiter last spring at my school. She thought that for folks who really like to travel, the Navy was better than the Army because you are guaranteed to be on a coast, and coastal areas tend to be more cultured and interesting. She was a nurse and had just returned from 2 years in Iceland. I thought that sounded pretty cool!

Everyone gets BAS, BAH if they live off base. It fluctuates if you have dependants. You also get COLA if you are stationed in places like Hawaii. Health/dental insurance are covered. Purchases at the PX are tax-free.

If you look solely at the base pay, it looks like crap. Once you roll the rest in, the pay is comparable.

The Army program is appealling. Seeing as I have 7 years TIS (USMC), maybe I could swing an O-4 position instead. :thumbup:

2007 pay scales

The payscale is bank. Thanks!

I spoke with a Navy recruiter last spring at my school. She thought that for folks who really like to travel, the Navy was better than the Army because you are guaranteed to be on a coast, and coastal areas tend to be more cultured and interesting. She was a nurse and had just returned from 2 years in Iceland. I thought that sounded pretty cool!

Ummmmm, that's a serious generalization. The only "coast" at Naval Base Great Lakes (IL) is the coast of Lake Michigan. Furthermore, the Navy provides medical services for the Marine Corps, so you could find yourself stationed at USMC bases such as the hospital at Twenty-Nine Palms, CA, which is in the middle of the California desert.

Also, with the changes to the structure of the military over the last decade, there are many, many more opportunities for joint-service assisgnments, so it's not unusual to find an Army physician attached to a Navy hospital, or an Air Force medical administrator working in an Army clinic/hospital, or something to that effect.

Recruiters don't necessarily lie, in the truest definition of the word. However, they are definitely salespeople, and will emphasize the parts of the job that are appealing while downplaying the parts that may not be so attractive. I strongly recommend that you verify everything that a recruiter tells you, even going so far as to ask where something might be available in writing, as in policy or instruction. If the recruiter hems and haws about showing you something in writing, chances are it's not quite the way s/he described it.

Having said that, my 20+ years in Navy medicine was amazing. I worked with some of the finest health care providers and practitioners anywhere, and had the opportunity to live in places many others could only dream of. I and my career military spouse had four children while we were on active duty- all born in different places (IL, VA, HI, and Japan). Our children have a grasp of global economics, cultures and politics that is far beyond their years and educational levels.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the information. I already have 6 years of military service from my tour in the Marine Corps. I would also like to hear about other branches (Air Force and Navy) if anyone knows about their programs. Plus don't medical officers get special pay in addition to their Base Pay, BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) and VHA (Variable Housing Allowance). I know physicians do in the Air Force, but I can't find any of their information specific to pharmacists. Thanks again.

There is no more VHA; it's all rolled into BAH.

If anyone is interested in finding out more about the military, I recommend the US Military site at About.com. It's run by a retired senior enlisted Air Force guy--- he is also the one who writes the ASVAB for Dummies books. The majority of the people who participate in the forum are current, former, or retired enlisted members, but there is a wealth of information on the site (the hosts can guide you to the correct info) that won't be clouded by the rose-colored glasses of a recruiter.

question for those in the know...

on those pay scales, are those amounts monthly? or otherwise? I was curious about that, thanks

those amounts are monthly and considered allowances and bonuses.. flight pay/ drill pay/ hazard pay are all monthly. i think the big bonuses are one time, but physicians get equalizing pay that makes their pay more comparable to the civilian sector and I'm not certain if that is annually or monthly.

cool thanks for the info.

the army is something I'll be thinking on over the next 3 years, I figure with the loan repayment and the pay being tax free (right?), it ought to balance out with a lower paying (hospital) civilian job.

cool thanks for the info.

the army is something I'll be thinking on over the next 3 years, I figure with the loan repayment and the pay being tax free (right?), it ought to balance out with a lower paying (hospital) civilian job.

My brother-in-law is in the air force. I don't believe his pay is tax free. When he was in Iraq- that pay was tax free but I think his regular pay is taxed.

ahh. ok, that... at least kind of makes sense, thanks

You need to understand in military terminology, there is a difference between "pay" and "allowances." ;-)

"Pay" is your base pay, which is what's seen on the pay charts. It's taxed, as are bonuses (certain specialties get them). However, if you are serving in an area that is deemed tax-free (mostly Iraq, but there are a few others), your base pay will not be taxed.

"Allowances" include things like Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH), Basic Allowance for Subsistence (BAS), and certain other monetary goodies. These are not taxed. As shown above, these housing and food allowances can make up quite a bit in that paycheck.

Also, keep in mind that health care providers do not need to pay for their own malpractice insurance, and they generally don't have to pay for their required CEU/CE courses. Add that to the free (or darn close to free) medical and dental for the member and his/her family, and there is a whole lot more of the paycheck that gets to stay in the pocket/bank account of a military member than a comparable civilian.

My only problem with the military pharmacist option would be trading in my dress blues for Army greens, Navy whites, or Air Force blues.

They are reserved them for private viewings :eek: , but I would be willing to unleash them for trade; heels, garter belt, nets, and a lab coat (see the shoes thread for further clarity).

So let me see if I have this right.

0-3 base pay for less than 2 yrs experience is 3,292.20X12= 39,506.40
Then Basic housing allowance w/o dependent is 789.00X12 = 9,468.00
Then Basica allowance for substinence is 192.74X12= 2,3112.88(why do officers get less than enlisted here?)
Then, I don't know what drill pay is, and I am not sure about the special pays for health professional officers. I didn't see pharmacy listed.
So the total is = 51,286.28

Is this correct?

Drill pay is for reservists and is the only money you will get (monthly).

Further explanation of pharmacy officer special pay is HERE

Your base pay w/ allowances (if you've never served before) is about $55K. Then add in the $27K/yr loan repayment, med, dental, retirement.

My uncle retired from the USAF as a Lt. Col.. Because of this, he and my aunt can travel the world and stay on the military bases relatively cheap. For instance, they just returned from Waikiki beach. They stayed for 6 weeks in a condo on the water. It was $105/night.

You can't really add that perk into your annual salary calculations.

Thats what makes it so hard to compare military pay to the rest of the world. The its hard to assign a value to the huge number of random perks for military members.

One of the biggest perks is that your and your family's medical costs are covered, and you don't have to make monthly insurance payments. People who've never really had to pay real-life medical insurance people don't have a solid handle on how much of a benefit this is. Frequently, people who went from living in their parent's house, then on to college and/or grad school, really have no idea how much real-life medical insurance costs for a single person, let alone someone with kids. The savings in medical insurance alone can be upwards of $200 a month, depending on the size of your family and if there are any special needs.

That, and the fact that allowances are tax-free; imagine if you didn't have to pay tax on a third of your gross pay.

It's a good deal for people who are comfortable with the lifestyle.

Just FYI, if you have private loans, I'm not sure if uncle sam pays for them or not. When they talk loan repayment I think they mean fed loans...like stafford/health professional/etc loans, not sallie mae/other bank loans.

I'm almost interested in joining the military when I graduate but I would want to be in a big med center or out in a field hospital...and since it's the military I highly doubt I would really have any choice/say in the matter, where I wouldn't have to like it, i'd just have to do it.

Public Health Service has similar benefits to military. I would check them out as well.

Hello, All,

I'm on Active Duty as an Army Pharmacy Officer. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. I was at Fort Bragg (NC), deployed to Iraq for a year and am now living in beautiful Colorado Springs, CO. So, I've had a taste of a few different settings.
If you're in the area and want to arrange a visit, please let me know!

They are reserved them for private viewings :eek: , but I would be willing to unleash them for trade; heels, garter belt, nets, and a lab coat (see the shoes thread for further clarity).

what are your measurements? i'll wear the heels and the garter belt if you let my husband borrow your blues.
[my marine friend is too short, it would be like dress capri pants on my man!]

There are great resons for joining the military, but don't make it about the money. There are also good reasons for working the civilian side as well. I was an E-5 in the Army stationed at Colorado Springs and Walter Reed. Compared to many other soldiers I had a prtty easy elistment for my four years. If your single, you like to travel, and you don't mind being away from home for long periods of time, then the military can be a pretty good lifestyle. On the other hand, if you are married with kids then the military may not be the best place for a person. I've thought about going back in after pharm school is over and a couple of the reasons I'm leaning away from it are the health care system, the pay vs freedom, and the moving schedual. While the health care is free to you and your family, it is also not the best health care plan as compared to the civilian side. I've had my experiences with both and I know for a fact that the optometry and perscription options were much better on the civilian side of things. Pay vs freedom is important to me as well. There are many difficult to define aspects to serving your country. The easiest to think about is that while the pay is almost comprable (when you add in all the extras) the freedom you have with your career is not. If you absolutly do not like the place or people you are working with on the civilian side, you can leave to either further your career or find another place to work. In the military you have to learn to be happy with whatever environment they put you in. If your married there is a flip side to this where your spouse has to find work in every duty station you travel to. My wife is a PICU nurse, so she would have difficulty finding work in some of the more out of the way places for duty stations. Add in to this that it becomes difficult to buy a place since you will probably be moving every 2 years (give or take a year) while you are in the service (As an Army officer any way, I think the Air Force may be a little better about this).
My goal was NOT to put down the military, but instead give an opinion on some of the difficult to describe parts of becoming a career officer. Personaly, both my wife and I are proud of our service, but we also recognize that our wants have changed and the military may not be the best place for us with our family. Just some things to think about.

what are your measurements? i'll wear the heels and the garter belt if you let my husband borrow your blues.
[my marine friend is too short, it would be like dress capri pants on my man!]

Sorry, you have to earn dress blues. :thumbup:

I'm just wondering do Pharmacists have to serve on the ships and subs like fellow sailors? I personally have no problem with going out to sea (above it anyways) or staying on land in a medical base i'm just curious?

I'm just wondering do Pharmacists have to serve on the ships and subs like fellow sailors? I personally have no problem with going out to sea (above it anyways) or staying on land in a medical base i'm just curious?

If you google "navy pharmacist facebook" you will find a facebook page for navy health or just search navy pharmacist on facebook. There are a few navy pharmacists on there that can answer questions for you. I have spoke with them before, they are a great resource. It is nice to be able to get answers directly from a current Navy pharmacist officer than from a random recruiter, so check it out.

Well, what about working as a civilian in the military? How are the benefits different? If you like to travel wouldn't being a civilian pharmacist at a military base overseas be a good idea? I was thinking of doing this after I graduate...

guys i am currently a P3 and just want to browse my opportunities after the p4 year... i been hearing both good and bad things about army, navy and air force... but they still attract me for some reason...

i know there are a lot of knowledgeable ppl on this thread, can someone please guide me how can i find a "medical recruiter"? is there a website i can go to? i have no clue where to start (i did google it but got nothing)...

thank you in advance
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

guys i am currently a P3 and just want to browse my opportunities after the p4 year... i been hearing both good and bad things about army, navy and air force... but they still attract me for some reason...

i know there are a lot of knowledgeable ppl on this thread, can someone please guide me how can i find a "medical recruiter"? is there a website i can go to? i have no clue where to start (i did google it but got nothing)...

thank you in advance
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Read my post in this thread from few days ago, it tells you how to get in contact with Navy pharmacists online.

Also if you Google "navy health recruiter" the very 1st search result is the navy health profession page with links to recruiters. I am happy to help but learning to research on your own is an important tool for a pharmacist.

Read my post in this thread from few days ago, it tells you how to get in contact with Navy pharmacists online.

Also if you Google "navy health recruiter" the very 1st search result is the navy health profession page with links to recruiters. I am happy to help but learning to research on your own is an important tool for a pharmacist.

Thanx for the reply... i did read ur post and i did try to google it, instead of writing navy health recruiter i looked for navy recruiters and was kinda got lost in between normal recruiter and medical recruiters so just asked for help...
thanx for ur time

Thanx for the reply... i did read ur post and i did try to google it, instead of writing navy health recruiter i looked for navy recruiters and was kinda got lost in between normal recruiter and medical recruiters so just asked for help...
thanx for ur time

It's all good. The military has some great things to offer from the pharmacists I have spoken with, so good luck!

Well, what about working as a civilian in the military? How are the benefits different? If you like to travel wouldn't being a civilian pharmacist at a military base overseas be a good idea? I was thinking of doing this after I graduate...

This is like having your cake and eating it too. There are no civilian pharmacists on a military installation. All military personnel and their dependents are cared for by military physicians and military pharmacists.

I tried looking on google, to not much success, but what are the differences between day-to-day life as a pharmacist in the different branches? Are there any significant differences, or is it pretty much the same across the board?

I tried looking on google, to not much success, but what are the differences between day-to-day life as a pharmacist in the different branches? Are there any significant differences, or is it pretty much the same across the board?

What do you mean day-to-day? Active duty military is the same as a civilian job for the most part. You get up, go to PT, go to work, go home, go to sleep. The only difference (pretty much) is that you wear a uniform.

This is like having your cake and eating it too. There are no civilian pharmacists on a military installation. All military personnel and their dependents are cared for by military physicians and military pharmacists.
Actually...civillian pharmacists are the back bone of military pharmacy. Typically your pharmacy officers are the leaders of the pharmacy and the civilians work underneath them.