Pharmacy Manager advice/Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Johnny Rivera

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been a staff pharmacist in a store in California for one of the big three for about 3.5 years. They have just made the decision to promote me to take over the store as the pharmacist in charge.

I just have a couple of questions for those who have been in my situation and can offer advice for me. Obviously I've been working for years, so I've gone through my fair share of tyrant PIC's, laid back PIC's and nutjobs. But my biggest problem would be how to deal with techs who are disrespectful, who don't listen, or who talk back. Also, how to transition from being that staff RPH who was always kind of joking around with others, but now going to be one of those who commands respect.

Sometimes there are techs who I will have to tell them 3 or 4 times to go get pickup or drop off before they listen. other times other techs will talk back, or in a joking manner make fun of situations or not take their job seriously. How do you deal with them? Let's say someone named Marie takes too long to go to pickup or talks back, or says something disrespectful in a subtle way. Do you address it on the spot? How can you, when pharmacy is so busy all day and theres never an oppurtunity to address an issue? I feel like if you wait until the end of the day you will be reinforcing negative behaviors. Would having a 1 on 1 meeting with every staff member before becoming the manager help?

How do you balance being a fair manager but not being a tyrant? One who demands/commands respect but doesn't go too far? And how do you TRANSITION into this role after being on the sideline for so long?

Members don't see this ad.

Excelsior.
You have worked hard, and now the fruits of your labor have finally been recognized.
I find that wearing a cape, over my smock, is a subtle reminder and yet a strong symbol of my authority.
Congratulations on your promotion.
I just know you'll be, great.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know OldTimer on this forum (I've been a long time reader) is a PIC and can offer me advice

Back when I was a super-tech/intern I used to act like this sometimes. A quick "I can find another person to be a tech" brings you back to earth.

Now there's no excuse for the disrespectful part. But my reasoning for never wanting to go to pickup was because I felt I was much faster at typing/counting as opposed to ringing stuff up and digging through the piles of meds to be picked up.

First, get an idea of how the store is run (1-2weeks), then schedule a meeting with all your techs to set your expectations and what your goals are. Be authoritative throughout this meeting and start out by complimenting them on what they're doing well as a team and individually. Then you tell them what they can improve on, list them out specifically, and give a time range on when you'd like to see improvement. for example if ppl aren't rotating as they're supposed to, tell them that needs to change TODAY. If it's inventory related give them a reasonable time range and tell them how you would follow up on their progress. When there are issues w/ their performance you address it right away DO NOT WAIT!! talk to them about it and if it still doesn't change you'd have to document it then escalate it as appropriate. Overall, You have to show that you have drive, you want the store to do well, and EVERYONE is ACCOUNTABLE.

But then again, talk is useless lol execution is key. good luck

The subordinate-superior relationship is complex. There is a mentality and dynamic in the retail environment that is not easily overcome. I have been exactly where you are now. I have worked with techs who got a kick out of me:clap: but buckled down when I asked them to:nod:. I have worked with techs who lacked the ability to flip the switch:yawn:. Here, it always ended up being me or them. I have read a lot of cock and bull about how to be leader but at the end of the day if you don't have authority and upper management support you are screwed. This is purely IMO and experience.

Just consider that people like status quo and tend to resist change. If a subordinate has an inherently good work ethic and you have been a just supervisor they will appreciate your recognition and in turn they will support you. Simple examples for cultivating trust are: don't make fun of the patients behind their backs (and obviously to faces) and never discuss another employee's performance in front of or to others within the work unit. People laugh but you are only seeing the tip of the ice berg.

Anecdote in italics so skip it if pleases you.
Busting on patients is good times and makes the day roll :rofl:but at a price. In my current position I have long established rapport with both the patients and the "big fish" staff. Today the biggest drama queen in the store population is at home seeking consult via phone for two new start meds (2 phone calls within 1 hour). The second call x gabapentin 300mg x 1 hour ago and had been struggle with sever nausea and it scared him so I sat with him while he blew chunks:barf:and I soothed him. I mean I could hear the vomit echoing in the bowl. Still I would have put him on speaker (HIPPA safe pharmacy) but I was too afraid of disconnecting him. After he vomits like 3 times he asked if he should start the metformin scheduled for today. He hoped it would help his nausea. :smack:

I spend most of the day doing rote boring work and I need to laugh. But I care for the patients and the techs know that I care for the patients. And they care for them too. He is one of our many mascots. Moral IMO is: if you have longevity and you have established rapport with your staff and they are performing on par bust away in a very hippa compliant manner. I don't know what the content of your workplace humor is. I was just sharing mine as an example of one trust/management related factor.

In this industry you can be a top performing pharmacist who gives the worst pharmaceutical care. It is a journey. Wish I could help.