• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.
Dec 18, 2017
Status
Pharmacist
I’m a recent graduate who was just employed in a retail setting. My long-term goal is to be working in a hospital (which I have been applying to but of course I really have no experience besides IPPE/APPE). I applied to residency during my last year of school but of course I didn’t match.

I would want to know if it is worth re-applying or should I just try to gain more experience and apply to local hospitals nearby?

Also, if I do apply for residency, will I be at a disadvantage since I’m not the typically candidate like a p4 student.

Thank you guys for the help!

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2017
I’m in a similar position as you. I’ve applied to a few hospitals and was turned down. I applied to residency programs this cycle. If you still have time, I would say go for it! Good luck!

congcx

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2018
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At midyear they did a presentation on the match and one of the slides was on match statistics of people who attempt the match after graduation.

In 2017: 357 people applied who had graduated “pre-2017.” Out of that, 221 did not match, and 136 people did.

According to them they say only 4% of all PGY1 residency positions are filled with people who have taken time between graduation and residency.

Feel free to inbox me for more info. I can screenshot the slide but it says it’s too big to upload here. Hope that helps!

LNTSU

2+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2014
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I’m a recent graduate who was just employed in a retail setting. My long-term goal is to be working in a hospital (which I have been applying to but of course I really have no experience besides IPPE/APPE). I applied to residency during my last year of school but of course I didn’t match.

I would want to know if it is worth re-applying or should I just try to gain more experience and apply to local hospitals nearby?

Also, if I do apply for residency, will I be at a disadvantage since I’m not the typically candidate like a p4 student.

Thank you guys for the help!
I have heard that even without residency, you can still obtain inpatient positions. However, it is usually in rural or suburban areas where people with residency training are not willing to go to. So I guess that if you are willing to look into far places where they are understaffed and willing to give everyone an equal chance then you won't need residency to get a hospital position. Another route is connection such as you know the director of a pharmacy in a hospital very well, etc....

Once you got an inpatient position (anywhere) and work there a while to get experience and it shows up on your CV, it will be easier for you to apply for a position in a bigger city.

About the Ads