Pharmacy school and Job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

butterfly1203

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Need some opinions from people who have experience. I currently am a P2 student, working PRN technician position every other weekend at the hospital. Do you think it is possible to get an internship position at another hospital, while working as a tech? And will working 30-40 hrs/month interfere with my study?FYI, these two hospitals are under the same system. My grade: 3.4 GPA, have not failed any classes so far. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Is this internship only seasonal? If it isn't I would take the internship position and not work as a tech anymore since you are a P2. I definitely recommend working as an intern in hospital pharmacy as you gain valuable experience and looks great for residency applications down the road. In fact when I interned in a hospital setting during pharmacy school I got to learn a lot of valuable clinical skills i'm grateful for today. I was able to work about 40 hours on a monthly basis working every other weekend and I graduated with a 3.83 so it is doable, but you will have to sacrifice a lot of free time so you can study.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone!
Need some opinions from people who have experience. I currently am a P2 student, working PRN technician position every other weekend at the hospital. Do you think it is possible to get an internship position at another hospital, while working as a tech? And will working 30-40 hrs/month interfere with my study?FYI, these two hospitals are under the same system. My grade: 3.4 GPA, have not failed any classes so far. Thanks everyone!
I think working 10 hours a week is responsible, whether you can handle is a question only you can answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this internship only seasonal? If it isn't I would take the internship position and not work as a tech anymore since you are a P2. I definitely recommend working as an intern in hospital pharmacy as you gain valuable experience and looks great for residency applications down the road. In fact when I interned in a hospital setting during pharmacy school I got to learn a lot of valuable clinical skills i'm grateful for today. I was able to work about 40 hours on a monthly basis working every other weekend and I graduated with a 3.83 so it is doable, but you will have to sacrifice a lot of free time so you can study.
I’m not sure if this is season or regular, the job was posted recently and I applied for the Intern position yesterday...and You’re right, it is about time management. thank you for your advice!

I start school in fall so no idea on the course load....but I currently work full time as an outpatient technician for a large health system. What they're doing for me is bumping me up to a intern prn but I will be cross trained and work inpatient at one hospital and outpatient at another hospital. If you know the manager ask them because as far as I know under one health system you can only have one title even if you are at a different location...

Last edited:
Oh also I float between different hospital pharmacies right now but it's always the same title since it's the same health system