pharmacy school and the millitary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

case123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
im thinking of joining the military early next year as I wait to apply and hopefully get into pharmacy school the following year. anyone here who knows whether its hard being in the military (air-force) and being in a phamarcy school? are there schools that work better with their schedules? pros and cons?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

You can NOT serve in the military (active duty) and attend pharmacy school at the same time. However, you can always join the Reserve or National Guard and go to pharmacy school.

You can NOT serve in the military (active duty) and attend pharmacy school at the same time. However, you can always join the Reserve or National Guard and go to pharmacy school.

thank you..i need to look into the national guard. I didn't pay to much attention to them before:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
The National Guard is pretty much like the Reserve. The Army National Guard usually have more locations and sometimes it can be very close to your house or school. However, since the Initial Training time for both the Guard & Reserve is at least 6 months full-time, you have to complete the whole application process & interview by January (so that you can leave for your training and go back to pharmacy school in August)

here is one quick advice. if you join military for reserve or NG while attending pharmacy school, more likely u will get called for deployment. im not saying for 100% but at least 50%. of course it depends on ur unit though. so think carefully. you must defer the school for deployment too

here is one quick advice. if you join military for reserve or NG while attending pharmacy school, more likely u will get called for deployment. im not saying for 100% but at least 50%. of course it depends on ur unit though. so think carefully. you must defer the school for deployment too

thank you...one more question:-for this very reason, do you know if being in the military may lower my chances of being accepted into pharmacy school?
:confused::scared:

Last edited:
I am near the end of my contract in the army and will start the process soon. Unless someone knows the individual board member's taste, it is always hard to say if there is veteran preference. What I can tell you, is being in the military can instill a sense of self discipline and help with time management skills. And the military can be very difficult at times, which can really help put into perspective the importance of getting an education. If you feel you lack these qualities needed for school, I know the military greatly helped me in being a better student. I even got A's in Chem II and AP II; two subjects previously got D's in. If you aren't lacking in being a good student, my suggestion is to pass on the military if pharmacy is what you want. The military will inevitably require too much time. Hope this helps.

I am near the end of my contract in the army and will start the process soon. Unless someone knows the individual board member's taste, it is always hard to say if there is veteran preference. What I can tell you, is being in the military can instill a sense of self discipline and help with time management skills. And the military can be very difficult at times, which can really help put into perspective the importance of getting an education. If you feel you lack these qualities needed for school, I know the military greatly helped me in being a better student. I even got A's in Chem II and AP II; two subjects previously got D's in. If you aren't lacking in being a good student, my suggestion is to pass on the military if pharmacy is what you want. The military will inevitably require too much time. Hope this helps.
this does help a lot and since you have been there, you mind me asking if you were reserve or active? for some reason, I still would love to join the military. but I just need to make sure that im making the right decision before doing so. I know it has its pros and cons and this is probably the wrong timing. at first I wanted to just go ahead and get my pharmacy done since that's what I really want then join it as a pharmacist. but then, I could really use the skills and discipline that comes with joining the military especially now.:eek:.

this does help a lot and since you have been there, you mind me asking if you were reserve or active? for some reason, I still would love to join the military. but I just need to make sure that im making the right decision before doing so. I know it has its pros and cons and this is probably the wrong timing. at first I wanted to just go ahead and get my pharmacy done since that's what I really want then join it as a pharmacist. but then, I could really use the skills and discipline that comes with joining the military especially now.:eek:.

If you are young, join the military and experience life a little.... your options will still be the same when you get out.

thank you...one more question:-for this very reason, do you know if being in the military may lower my chances of being accepted into pharmacy school?
:confused::scared:

No! how dare any school can lower your chance of being accepted to pharmacy school due to your military experience?. you get a lot of rewards, ribbons and badges while u r on service. but more importantly, you will learn self-discipline and how to be a leader. believe or not, i was always a follower of other people. while in the military, i have learned how to be a leader. i have learned how to interact with various types of people. influencing people and to motivate, provide direction, and also improve the organization. your military experience will be definitely unique because u will have a complete different life.

my one advice is...make sure to do a lot of research. you must fine the right MOS and length of contract. 90% of new enlistee never do that. if u r planning on going to pharmacy school,68Q pharmacy tech like myself will greatly improve yourself into the field of pharmacy.

Okay, I'm not sure what to tell you to do, but I can tell you about my husband's situation. My husband is active duty Army National Guard and has been in for 13 years. He's currently a preranger instructor on ADSW (active duty special work) orders and is trying to get on AGR orders for job security. He started out doing the usual one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, but he was being deployed all the time (between going to Iraq, Hurricane Katrina, and various other events). Legally, you can't fire someone for being activated, but we live in a state that can fire you for no reason. So, he lost a job due to this. At that point in time, he decided to go active duty National Guard. You're paid based on your rank and are on federal orders. The perk is that you won't be transferred out of the state versus regular active duty Army, where they can move you anywhere. He's never had time to attend college during this time. I wouldn't suggest trying to attend pharmacy school and being in the Guard, at the same time. If your unit is activated, then you will be deployed. There may be some way around this, though. I spoke with a National Guard recruiter years ago about joining in order to finance my grad school education. By chance, the recruiter's wife was a pharmacist! He told me not to join because I would owe the Army too much time for paying for my schooling. So, I decided not to join. That being said, my husband loves the military. He makes a fairly good living (not what a pharmacist makes, though) and has been able to support our family while I attend school. He is extremely self-disciplined and has gained tons of leadership experience. I suppose I would suggest going to pharmacy school first, then joining the military. That way, you'd start out as a commissioned officer and could choose how many years you will serve rather than "owing" them for financing your education. That's just my two cents:) Good luck!

Okay, I'm not sure what to tell you to do, but I can tell you about my husband's situation. My husband is active duty Army National Guard and has been in for 13 years. He's currently a preranger instructor on ADSW (active duty special work) orders and is trying to get on AGR orders for job security. He started out doing the usual one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, but he was being deployed all the time (between going to Iraq, Hurricane Katrina, and various other events). Legally, you can't fire someone for being activated, but we live in a state that can fire you for no reason. So, he lost a job due to this. At that point in time, he decided to go active duty National Guard. You're paid based on your rank and are on federal orders. The perk is that you won't be transferred out of the state versus regular active duty Army, where they can move you anywhere. He's never had time to attend college during this time. I wouldn't suggest trying to attend pharmacy school and being in the Guard, at the same time. If your unit is activated, then you will be deployed. There may be some way around this, though. I spoke with a National Guard recruiter years ago about joining in order to finance my grad school education. By chance, the recruiter's wife was a pharmacist! He told me not to join because I would owe the Army too much time for paying for my schooling. So, I decided not to join. That being said, my husband loves the military. He makes a fairly good living (not what a pharmacist makes, though) and has been able to support our family while I attend school. He is extremely self-disciplined and has gained tons of leadership experience. I suppose I would suggest going to pharmacy school first, then joining the military. That way, you'd start out as a commissioned officer and could choose how many years you will serve rather than "owing" them for financing your education. That's just my two cents:) Good luck!

this is absolutely wonderful advice. as a current active duty working at government pharmacy as a tech and sometimes as a supervisor, i highly recommend think twoce before join military. However, this seriously depends on what military job u get. once again, as a pharmacy tech in one of the largest military pharmacy in the world, i have gained too much valuable experiences and not only that. you will actually see how urself as future pharmacist will work like. a lot of my former advanced trainees for tech used to want to go to pharmacy school. now, 90% of them are not going for pharmacy anymore because they didnt like it. make sure to get a job that u can work on military pharmacy. or I would not recommend too much joining military due to high risk of getting deployed or overnight work for nothing ( because u r 24/7 when u become military soldier )

Members don't see this ad :)
The only other benefit I can think of is the G.I. Bill if you are hard up for financing school. But again, you will be pushing back pharmacy school likely for 4 more years. Thats a lot of earning potential.

That's a wonderful point! The G.I. Bill will finance 36 months of school. My husband transferred that to me, so that's how we plan to pay for my pharmacy education. You could join the military for 4 years, then go to pharmacy school once you get out. You would benefit from the discipline and leadership skills learned from military service and could use the G.I. Bill to pay for your education. Does anyone know how long you have to serve to get the G.I. Bill? Is it only 4 years?

It sounds like you've got a big decision to make. Either pharmacy school first, then the military or the other way around. I wish you could do both, but I'm pretty sure that would not be advisable. It's nice to have options. I wish you the best of luck in making your decision:)

thank you so much everyone. I highly appreciate your responses and input.

That's a wonderful point! The G.I. Bill will finance 36 months of school. My husband transferred that to me, so that's how we plan to pay for my pharmacy education. You could join the military for 4 years, then go to pharmacy school once you get out. You would benefit from the discipline and leadership skills learned from military service and could use the G.I. Bill to pay for your education. Does anyone know how long you have to serve to get the G.I. Bill? Is it only 4 years?

3 years for 100%

I'm sorry but there may have been some miscommunication. I was wondering how many years of military service you have to have to be eligible for the G.I. Bill. You only need three years of military service? I'm assuming the "3 years 100%" is stating the time period (36 months = 3 years) that the G.I. Bill funds your education. I'm just wanting clarification...not trying to be rude:)

You serve 3 years active duty and the GI Bill will pay 100% for your education (except flight training)

Also check for Yellow Ribbon Program if you attend private school

If you enlist in Texas, you qualify for the Hazlewood Act which provides benefits that cover 150 semester hours at public institutions. Glad you didn't rush into going active duty thinking you could attend pharmacy school at the same time. ;)

that's why so many military people changed their home of record to Texas.. lol