pharmacy school is expensive...what to do to survive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

magicbluepill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
am a pharmacy student and will be graduating next year. As you all know pharmacy school is very expensive and I have huge load of loans(accumulated over 6 years). As a single guy, I am willing to work anywhere in the country as long as they pay me well. I plan to get rid of my loans and then settle down in my life.

My question is what is the potential payscale of a pharmacist who works overtime. My friend down in texas earned 210,000 $ in 2007 which is pretty darn good,obviously he worked overtime. Do you think pharmacists from all the states have the potential to make over 150 grand if they work overtime?

I prefer to work in philadelphia as my family lives there. Anyone has any idea what the market down there has to offer?
your opinions will be highly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
am a pharmacy student and will be graduating next year. As you all know pharmacy school is very expensive and I have huge load of loans(accumulated over 6 years). As a single guy, I am willing to work anywhere in the country as long as they pay me well. I plan to get rid of my loans and then settle down in my life.

My question is what is the potential payscale of a pharmacist who works overtime. My friend down in texas earned 210,000 $ in 2007 which is pretty darn good,obviously he worked overtime. Do you think pharmacists from all the states have the potential to make over 150 grand if they work overtime?

I prefer to work in philadelphia as my family lives there. Anyone has any idea what the market down there has to offer?
Most retail chains dislike paying overtime from what i've seen, but I know there are many out there that still do. If you're strictly looking from a money aspect there are some stores in California I saw offering $50,000+ as a sign on bonus for 1-2 years. I realize you would like to be near Philadelphia however, and stores willing to offer such huge sign on bonuses typically are not in desirable areas.

I know that CVS will allow some crazy overtime - 80-90 hours a week is not unheard of. However, I don't think you get time and 1/2 for that. I would suggest trying to look at the stats for where the shortage of pharmacists is the greatest, and then target larger cities in that area. You need to go with a large chain, so that there will be a lot of stores in the area that you could potentially float to or be covering other pharmacists' vacation, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that CVS will allow some crazy overtime - 80-90 hours a week is not unheard of. However, I don't think you get time and 1/2 for that. I would suggest trying to look at the stats for where the shortage of pharmacists is the greatest, and then target larger cities in that area. You need to go with a large chain, so that there will be a lot of stores in the area that you could potentially float to or be covering other pharmacists' vacation, etc.

Also look at the taxes in these brackets. Can be a tad high.

Hello everyone,

Philly is kinda approaching saturation. There is more work in the Western part of the state.

I have many friends who work corporate retail in different areas, and they all say the same thing: overtime is a curse word to corporate. They will avoid overtime anyway possible. Obviously, there are exceptions, but for the most part that is what you'll find.

I have many friends who work corporate retail in different areas, and they all say the same thing: overtime is a curse word to corporate. They will avoid overtime anyway possible. Obviously, there are exceptions, but for the most part that is what you'll find.

This is true.

You could look into temp work with a firm like RPHontheGo, maybe?