Pharmacy School. To go or not to go!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nick102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been debating this for a few months now. I started my undergrad in '06 with the goal of being a pharmacist and graduated with my BS in Biology in 2010. I am a month away from starting Pharmacy school and just learning about the surplus of pharmacists, lack of jobs, and declining pay in this field. I already have 90k of student loan debt from undergrad and the pharmacy school is 46k/year for tuition for 3 years (accelerated program). I was wondering if this investment is worth it. This would require me to relocate about 2 hrs from home. I would like to gain some opinions on this decision.
I was also considering computer science/big data as a backup plan as it may be more lucrative career in the long run from what i have been reading. I want to do pharmacy but I'm not sure if the investment is worth it any longer. I would like your honest opinions on my dilemma. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Take the computer science route and don't look back toward pharmacy. You will come out with close to $300k in debt by the time you graduate if you choose the latter.

Reactions: 1 users
Computer science, definately. Computer technology is the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Only go to pharmacy school if you want to be a pharmacist. If you don't really want to be a pharmacist but are just going to pharmacy school because it might land you a decent job, I would say that's probably a poor investment of time, energy, and money.

Reactions: 3 users
I have been debating this for a few months now. I started my undergrad in '06 with the goal of being a pharmacist and graduated with my BS in Biology in 2010. I am a month away from starting Pharmacy school and just learning about the surplus of pharmacists, lack of jobs, and declining pay in this field. I already have 90k of student loan debt from undergrad and the pharmacy school is 46k/year for tuition for 3 years (accelerated program). I was wondering if this investment is worth it. This would require me to relocate about 2 hrs from home. I would like to gain some opinions on this decision.
I was also considering computer science/big data as a backup plan as it may be more lucrative career in the long run from what i have been reading. I want to do pharmacy but I'm not sure if the investment is worth it any longer. I would like your honest opinions on my dilemma. Thanks.
47K is a rip off for a three year. Attend LECOM at Erie,PA for 27,000 a year. Also pharmacy is hyper saturated. Go into CS or MD if you want a job. Only do pharmacy if you really, really enjoy learning about medications. If you are not willing to do this job for 55000 USD a year don't do it because that is where wages are going with all the new floating grads.

Reactions: 3 users

Why the 6 year break between undergrad & pharmacy school? What have you been doing & why do you still have $90k in debt from undergrad?

Reactions: 4 users
I have been working (underemployed) trying to figure out what i want to do with my life. I could have started Pharmacy last year but just didn't have the $$$ to start. I have private loans plus federal loans which equal ~90k from undergrad.

Have you worked in a pharmacy at all? If you haven't, you really should not go to pharmacy school now. You need to know what you're getting yourself into, especially with the debt load you'll have when you graduate.

Reactions: 2 users
I have been working (underemployed) trying to figure out what i want to do with my life. I could have started Pharmacy last year but just didn't have the $$$ to start. I have private loans plus federal loans which equal ~90k from undergrad.

Sorry to hear that... the market is tough. I'm on the fence about pharmacy myself. Fortunately, I've been able to pay off my undergrad loans (plus other debt). If I had any existing debt, I don't think I would pursue pharmacy school and add more on top of it.

Also, keep in mind that a pharmd is no longer the golden ticket it once was. Many graduates these days are under-employed, and it's only expected to get worse. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Figuring out what to do with your life is free. You should have put together a few jobs to pay off that debt.

But you didnt.

Now you want to join a program that is very intense that, in this job market, basically requires you work in a pharmacy at the same time. At least 10 hours a week. So you figure classes/labs of at least 40 hours a week plus 20 hours studying plus 10 hours working you should be used to working 70 hours per week.

My idea? Take another year off, and WORK YOUR ASS OFF. Then go into the 3 year program. Youll be just like the other 4 year graduates.

Reactions: 1 users
Figuring out what to do with your life is free. You should have put together a few jobs to pay off that debt.

But you didnt.

Now you want to join a program that is very intense that, in this job market, basically requires you work in a pharmacy at the same time. At least 10 hours a week. So you figure classes/labs of at least 40 hours a week plus 20 hours studying plus 10 hours working you should be used to working 70 hours per week.

My idea? Take another year off, and WORK YOUR ASS OFF. Then go into the 3 year program. Youll be just like the other 4 year graduates.

The program isn't intense don't kid yourself. The only intense part about pharmacy school is finding a job and I agree with you that part is hyper intense. I remember when I toured Saint Joseph's three year program in Hartford, CT. The students on the tour were like "this program is so intense we can't even go to the gym" and i was thinking I know tons of med students that had plenty of time to work out during school. S. Joseph's pharm students are just lazy, privileged muppets going to a expensive, new school that their parents are probably paying for.

Pharmacy school is a cake walk. Here jump through this hoop. Good dog. Here is another hoop. Jump! If you put in 12 hours a day for class and study five days a week you should be ranked within the top ten percent unless you have brain damage.

Reactions: 2 users
My program was admittedly intense. You have to really want it because it's going to feel like a real drag sometimes. Finding a job was easy, but you have to be flexible in terms of location or it may not happen for you. Good social skills are of primary importance in the job hunt as well.

Stay out of pharmacy. Job market is terrible!!!

Reactions: 1 user