Pharmacy student considering change to PA school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Techy413

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am currently going through my first semester of pharmacy school and I am having some serious doubts about where the profession is headed. With that being said, I am thinking about dropping out of pharmacy school and working my way to applying to PA school. My undergrad GPA is a 3.7 with a science GPA close to 4.0. I have worked 2000ish hours as a pharmacy technician and intern and have done some volunteering and a small amount of research with an undergraduate professor. Aside from the things that I have already accomplished, what other things should I do if I go this route to make my self look like a better applicant? Would it be problematic that I have already attended a professional school and changed my mind? Does this look bad on a pa school application? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I’ve said in the past that a pharmacy student could walk into most PA schools if they wanted to switch gears. Some folks disagreed, saying something to the effect that Pa schools often require a lot of pertinent health care experience. That’s true for some programs, for sure. For most, they will see good grades, decent health care experience by today’s applicant standards, excellent science GPA, and the fact that you were successful at gaining a seat at a pharmacy program (which is a significantly rigorous academic field). The downside *might* be that transitioning away from pharmacy school after starting it could be seen as a bit of a flakey move. My thought is that it won’t be that big of a dealbreaker if you address it gently in your application essay (don’t dwell on it as a negative, or make it seem like you feel entitled as a positive).