Pharmacy students with Disablity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDHelpMe

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have ADHD, in undergrad I was accommodated longer times on exams. As a pharmacy student I'm scared to speak up and say I have ADHD and need longer time or accommodation. Do they look at you different? Like who wants a pharmacy student with ADHD and future potential mistakes. Am I wrong? When I first started I wanted to get off my medication because I didn't want them to drug test and even find out my doctor prescribed meds. Now I'm thinking why would I keep it a secret if it leads to my success? Is there anyone in pharmacy or medical school who have accommodation? Do they view you differently even if they say they don't? What are you ideas and opinions? What kind of accommodations do you get? I'm really scared to speak up. Do I?

Members don't see this ad.

In my class, we had at least 5-7 student who did not take exam with the rest of the class. Most grad schools have student disability center, as do undergrads. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all, inquire with your school's officials. As far as job placements, US has laws state that employers' can not discriminate based on disability. Nobody will ever know anyways.

In my class, we had at least 5-7 student who did not take exam with the rest of the class. Most grad schools have student disability center, as do undergrads. Nothing to be embarrassed about at all, inquire with your school's officials. As far as job placements, US has laws state that employers' can not discriminate based on disability. Nobody will ever know anyways.
How do they accommodate me? Is it with exams or assignments?

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they accommodate me? Is it with exams or assignments?

Inquire with your school. In my school the apparent accommodation is that students would go a separate room to take the exam and clearly got more time. I have zero clue if they got any other accommodations. You clearly need to start by contacting someone at ur school.

Inquire with your school. In my school the apparent accommodation is that students would go a separate room to take the exam and clearly got more time. I have zero clue if they got any other accommodations. You clearly need to start by contacting someone at ur school.
when you say your class do you mean medical school ? So it's normal to speak up ?

when you say your class do you mean medical school ? So it's normal to speak up ?

I am a pharmacist who only posts in a pharmacy forum, so unless I had amnesia, I don't think i was ever a medical student. Although, sure wish that I was. :)

Normal is quite a subjective term. If you are worried about asking your school officials despite me telling you that we had at least 5 people in my class, don't rely on random SDN posters who can also be jerks at times, do a simple google search about students with disability accommodations.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a pharmacist who only posts in a pharmacy forum, so unless I had amnesia, I don't think i was ever a medical student. Although, sure wish that I was. :)

Normal is quite a subjective term. If you are worried about asking your school officials despite me telling you that we had at least 5 people in my class, don't rely on random SDN posters who can also be jerks at times, do a simple google search about students with disability accommodations.
Thank you so much. I'm new to this so I didn't know you were in pharmacy school! It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one. Glad you're not a jerk:)

Hey everyone,
I have ADHD, in undergrad I was accommodated longer times on exams. As a pharmacy student I'm scared to speak up and say I have ADHD and need longer time or accommodation. Do they look at you different? Like who wants a pharmacy student with ADHD and future potential mistakes. Am I wrong? When I first started I wanted to get off my medication because I didn't want them to drug test and even find out my doctor prescribed meds. Now I'm thinking why would I keep it a secret if it leads to my success? Is there anyone in pharmacy or medical school who have accommodation? Do they view you differently even if they say they don't? What are you ideas and opinions? What kind of accommodations do you get? I'm really scared to speak up. Do I?

Hey there.

I would say stick with the drugs if they help you. Also, work through your campus disability center. There has to be at least one person (but usually an office) who handles accommodations. They are the only ones who know your status. All that the professors/administrators know is that you have a disability that entitles you to certain accommodations. Maybe you'll even make friends with the other ADA groupies (has helped decrease stigma in my opinion.) None of my classmates have ever asked where I go for exams. It's really never come up, come to think of it. ADHD doesn't prevent you from being a successful pharmacist. Failing a bunch of stuff because you are not getting accommodated properly, that could prevent you from being a successful pharmacist...

Good luck! Happy to answer any questions if you have them.

Hey everyone,

P.S. I have the following accommodations: 50% extra time, private distraction-free room

I have never felt treated differently other than when I have to go see the dean because I am in trouble again for behaving like a five-year-old (I have some mixed ADHD going down.) And even she's cool, so...

I really think you should talk with your disabilities center.

OP I was in your same exact place and thought process my P1 year. I never ended up going and getting test accommodations (I did in undergrad though), and I think it was for the best. I studied very hard to make sure I didn't have to reread questions 5x to interpret them correctly... I just went with the answer that my gut feeling told me. I didn't want that crutch of extra time when my other peers didn't get it. You won't get that extra time verifying scripts in the real world (sadly). Ultimately a tough choice, just wanted to let you know I had the 100% same thought process when I started pharmacy school. Do what you think is best.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile