pharmacy vs. podiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cystapharm

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is podiatry more competitive than pharmacy? sorry if this has been addressed before. My gpa is low (3.10) and I'm consideringn other options. i dont know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Scroll down and read the Dental vs. Pod post, this has been discussed ad nauseam. Do everyone a favor and make sure you're passionate about the career before pursuing it. I want to be a podiatrist because I couldnt get into pharmacy school is not a good reason IMO.

I'm passionate about pharmacy but many people apply to other programs in addition to their primary one. All I'm saying is that I'd like to consider other options as backup.

so say i don't get into pharmacy school.....then I would be forced to consider second best because what am I supposed to do.....apply 3-4-5 times and pray i'll get accepted?

many people get into programs they're not passionate about but they will grow to like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm passionate about pharmacy but many people apply to other programs in addition to their primary one. All I'm saying is that I'd like to consider other options as backup.

so say i don't get into pharmacy school.....then I would be forced to consider second best because what am I supposed to do.....apply 3-4-5 times and pray i'll get accepted?

many people get into programs they're not passionate about but they will grow to like it.

but don't you think that it will be a waste of time and money, if you are looking at your profession as a backup? if you have a true interest then go for it. i honestly, thought that podiatry was a subspecialty of allopathic medicine, like radiology or derm, for example. i didn't know until i started researching that it was something that I was interested in doing.

I shadowed 2 podiatrists and found it to be very interesting. You have the opportunity to work with a variety of patients (peds, athletes, geriatrics, sport medicine, wound care, dermatology, etc). I like the variety. I have interests in different areas and felt that i would not be forced to chose what area I wanted to be in.

Make sure before you put forth alot of time that it is something you will be happy doing. It's nothing like being in a job you're unhappy doing. We all have done it but if given the choice would we do it again. probably not. if pharmacy is your passion, then keep trying. Never give up. :thumbup:

What if you get into podiatry and find that you never "grow to like it"? That would be alot of money down the drain if you decide that the field is not for you, IMO. Have you tried shadowing a podiatrist yet?

not knowing what the pharmacy stats are, its hard to say which is more competitive. but your gpa wouldn't keep you out if your mcat was ok.

I think having other options is a good thing but I would suggest you really pick one that you'd like to pursue and stick with it. In your interviews they will ask why you chose podiatry or pharmacy, or even in your personal statement, and responding something like you couldn't get in the other school wouldn't sound great, right?

I was formerly a pre-pharm so I can see what you're going through in deciding the right path. I'm sure you know the difference between the two professions and you may want to weigh out the benefits of where you really want to go with your life. The point is, if you really know what you want to do, it will show in your interview and your GPA may come second in importance. A 3.1 GPA seems to stand a fair chance in some of the pod schools but you may win them over with your interview :) Good luck!