Pharmcas Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slayyytherin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I really messed up. I took college for granted & my grades are looking bad. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.9 & sGPA of 2.75. I am graduating this spring & I'm very stressed out. In fact, I'm taking 18 hours right now along with family/financial issues. I made a D in Ochem 1 & retook it & got a C. I made a D in calculus 1 but I didn't have space to squeeze in calculus this semester so I'm planning to take it in the summer. I have not taken speech but it was not required by my University. I'm very lost & confused. Any help is needed. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reapply next cycle and take the PCAT

I can't do that. I'm already "skipping" a year & my parents are furious at me. I'm also mad at myself. I'm the dummie that didn't take my studying seriously. I'm going to take the PCAT this June (hopefully) & apply early. I hope that helps me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools require you to have passed all of your classes C or better (not C-) before applying. Granted, there may be exceptions but you would have to contact that school and speak with them about this since your goal is to apply this cycle and retake Calc in the summer and pass with a C or better.
Overall, your best option is to wait and apply next cycle tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello,

I really messed up. I took college for granted & my grades are looking bad. I have a cumulative GPA of 2.9 & sGPA of 2.75. I am graduating this spring & I'm very stressed out. In fact, I'm taking 18 hours right now along with family/financial issues. I made a D in Ochem 1 & retook it & got a C. I made a D in calculus 1 but I didn't have space to squeeze in calculus this semester so I'm planning to take it in the summer. I have not taken speech but it was not required by my University. I'm very lost & confused. Any help is needed. Thank you.
I'd say apply widely, I got invited to six interviews from the eight I applied to (three of the schools I applied to were 'high ranked' programs so I was applying by a long shot) one way to start looking at what schools to apply to is to see their history statistics on students and if you're around there you'll be fine. Make sure you do well on the PCAT and if you don't have a lot of pharmacy experience go shadow a pharmacist and ensure you have strong letters of reccomendation.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't do that. I'm already "skipping" a year & my parents are furious at me. I'm also mad at myself. I'm the dummie that didn't take my studying seriously. I'm going to take the PCAT this June (hopefully) & apply early. I hope that helps me.
you may want to do a post-bacc for 1-2 years depending on what grades you get...

It may be difficult to get in with that low of a gpa ..

you may want to do a post-bacc for 1-2 years depending on what grades you get...

It may be difficult to get in with that low of a gpa ..
Everybody gets in, they dont care about grades or pcat anymore. I would bet this person gets in

People are getting in with pcat score of 30, are you afraid that I may be right and you are choosing the wrong career path? Why so hostile?
Peoples are getting in with 30 pcat scores in rare cases. Probably their gpa or extra curricular outweigh their low pcat scores. You take one thing and throw it out of context to fit your narrative. Why don't you quit pharmacy school then? Your status is still pre-pharm.

Peoples are getting in with 30 pcat scores in rare cases. Probably their gpa or extra curricular outweigh their low pcat scores. You take one thing and throw it out of context to fit your narrative. Why don't you quit pharmacy school then? Your status is still pre-pharm.
In pharm school, too far in. Explained in a previous post Im going to graduate, pay off my debt then do something else. The people getting in with 30 pcats isnt as rare as you think it is, look at your future schools previous history. I know its posted there. These schools are literally letting everyone in. 5 years ago look back on the forums and see how many people were waitlisted or flat out rejected and I guarantee youll see for yourself that just about anyone is getting in. In my class alone we have 3 people who were rejected multiple times from the same school.

In pharm school, too far in. Explained in a previous post Im going to graduate, pay off my debt then do something else. The people getting in with 30 pcats isnt as rare as you think it is, look at your future schools previous history. I know its posted there. These schools are literally letting everyone in. 5 years ago look back on the forums and see how many people were waitlisted or flat out rejected and I guarantee youll see for yourself that just about anyone is getting in. In my class alone we have 3 people who were rejected multiple times from the same school.
Look. I suggest you change your major since you're not stopping anyone from doing pharmacy.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I'm the same situation with you. I will take PCAT this July. I know it is hard to get it but you should listen to yourself what you want, no matter what people say. You also can volunteer in some hospital to gain some experience or get Pharmacy Technician License and work. I made a list all pharmacy universities that they require low GPA, I believe even some of them only require 2.5 or no requirement for GPA or PCAT. So everything I can say, just don't give up, if you believe you can do it better next time you can do it

You are asking an honest opinion, and people are really trying to give you advise what to do. We don't need your excuses that family is mad at you. And notice, no one said yet to quit dream about pharmacy. Wait until "stoichiometrist" comes and tell you what to do
TBH you are not the first, and schools would like to see how you improved yourself, what steps you took.

Reactions: 1 users

Chances are if you've just finished O. Chem I with a "C", O.Chem II (required by ALL pharmacy schools) will be even more of a challenge. These are weed-out courses, so I would suggest grasping the material and understanding the concepts early. Likewise, I hope you're not taking it alongside 18 hours. You're setting yourself up for doom.

With that being said, your parents aren't the one's that have to go through the courses and study for the classes. They don't know what type of work you're putting in to get good grades (if you are putting in the adequate amount of work), don't hesitate to wait until next cycle if it means you can pace yourself. Adding any more bad grades to your transcript is the last thing you want. 18 hours is intense, and if you factor in organic chemistry, you're going to be in for a ride.

Reactions: 1 user
maybe in Arizona, not in California ..

Isn't there something like 15 pharmacy schools in California? I'm sure a prestigious school like Chapman would gladly take their money.

People are getting in with pcat score of 30, are you afraid that I may be right and you are choosing the wrong career path? Why so hostile?

Why would applicants getting into pharmacy school with a pcat of 30, conclude that people who are pursuing the profession are "choosing the wrong career path"? A tech that I used to work with for years (now a pharmacist) had above a 3.6 gpa (if not higher), good EC's ~ He worked as a tech for like 4-5 years, and great LOR's, but when it came to standardized tests, he wasn't very good. We knew he had ADD and surely some type of OCD, so when it came to the pcat, he got like a 27. He couldn't skip a question without making sure the answer he chose was best (in his mind) lol. It is not a great score, yet he was one of the best techs at the pharmacy, in which many techs there, had worked 15/20+ years at the time. He now is a pharmacy manager. The pcat is just one aspect of the application. You've heard the job market for pharmacists in some areas has become saturated, somewhat true (depending on the area). You haven't even finished pharmacy school, yet you're already giving up? And one reason for you to quit "after paying debt", is people are getting into pharmacy school with a 30 pcat?? Goes to show what kind of character you have.

Reactions: 2 users
Get a 4.0 this semester, retake 2-3 classes that you did bad in over the summer and get A's, work as a tech over the summer, and get a 90+ on the PCAT, apply in October/December. That's exactly what I did with low grades. I would shoot for a cGPA over 3.0 but it's tough because when you retake classes PharmCAS counts both grades. Just have to make it happen.

Reactions: 3 users
Get a 4.0 this semester, retake 2-3 classes that you did bad in over the summer and get A's, work as a tech over the summer, and get a 90+ on the PCAT, apply in October/December. That's exactly what I did with low grades. I would shoot for a cGPA over 3.0 but it's tough because when you retake classes PharmCAS counts both grades. Just have to make it happen.

+1. Like what was said above, make it happen. If you want to become a pharmacist bad enough, you'll make it happen. Work your ass off and good things will come.

Reactions: 2 users
Just to keep in mind... When pharmcas calculates your GPA, your failed classes are incorporated into the GPA.

Reactions: 3 users