-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
PharmCAS Questions
Started by foraminal
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Also where does it tell you what schools you want to apply for?
I have my name is a publications-- I've done research on the subject counting data, running TLC's, etc... My data is included in the study, my TLC plate picture in the paper. I did not write anything in the publication.
So..I am a co-author (I'm listed as), but the manuscript hasn't been published but was accepted March 2009.
I want to include it as a publication; that specific research was my best experience in research.
Can I?
So..I am a co-author (I'm listed as), but the manuscript hasn't been published but was accepted March 2009.
I want to include it as a publication; that specific research was my best experience in research.
Can I?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted212936
QUESTION: does PharmCAS take 4-6 weeks to verify your application like AAMC does?
Did your professor receive the email? Mine hasn't. I used her college email address.
My professor still hasn't received the email, and I used the college address as well! I know that the email program my school uses doesn't even have a junk mail folder.... Maybe my professor is using a different program? I am going to email him later and ask to check the junk mail folder, and if it's not there to maybe supply me with a different email address. I just feel bad about all this, I hope I am not inconveniencing my professor too much with all this PharmCAS e-submit stuff!
Anyone have some answers to my questions? 😕 I know the questions I asked don't have straight forward answers - just looking for the opinions of others going through the same process/went through the same process of what seems the best. Thank you~.
I'm pretty sure I have a good idea about your questions.
1st- I don't think it matters how far you go back as long as it is relevant. I wouldn't go back 20 years for something that isn't. But doing tutoring 6 years ago i would say is.
2nd- I think you can put working at your parents as work history-- you just can't have them as a LOR
3rd- I would put pharmacy first.. no matter what 🙂 Not sure about other people, but that is what I did. I think it would be more favorable than not.
Quick question about references. Do you choose yes or no when it ask you if you waive your right to see the reference letter?
You can do either.. but it looks MUCH better if you waive your right. If you don't, it makes you look questionable (i.e. why would you pick a reference who might not say nice things?)
Hey guys
I'm planning to take the PCAT this august and I'm currently working on my Pharmcas app as well. Is it better to send out my application before taking the PCAT or wait until I have my scores, then send out the app. Thanks
I'm planning to take the PCAT this august and I'm currently working on my Pharmcas app as well. Is it better to send out my application before taking the PCAT or wait until I have my scores, then send out the app. Thanks
Hey guys
I'm planning to take the PCAT this august and I'm currently working on my Pharmcas app as well. Is it better to send out my application before taking the PCAT or wait until I have my scores, then send out the app. Thanks
It's better to wait until you've completed your PCAT before sending out the application. This way you have the opportunity to cancel your scores if you did poorly. However, you may submit without the PCAT score - but remember if you do poorly it makes a bad first impression on the ADCOM regardless if you update your scores later.
Can I start and send in supplementals before I e-submit?
Depending on your schools, yes. E.g. Nova will not allow supplementals until they have received your PharmCAS app. UF on the other hand allows you to complete supplementals regardless if you have finished PharmCAS or not.
D
deleted212936
Hello? can someone plz answer this??QUESTION: does PharmCAS take 4-6 weeks to verify your application like AAMC does?
Hello? can someone plz answer this??
Hello. Read the PharmCAS FAQ please. The answer is yes.
Well, I'm reading all about the different things you need to do for PharmCAS, and I read through their pdf instructions for 2009. I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible for 2010 - I want to have the lion's share of the information plotted out and written this winter, including my personal statement.
For those of you who have completed your PharmCAS application:
How long (hour-wise) did it take you?
Did you find it took you more or less time than you thought it would?
How long did you give your instructors / pharmacists, etc to write an LOR for you, and how long did it actually take them? (I hear a month or two is a good timeframe.)
Did you find any point in the process that you had to set it down, gather more information, and come back later? (Besides gaps for school reporting, LOR receipt, PCAT reporting)
What's something you wish someone had told you before you had started?
(Sorry if these questions have been asked before.)
For those of you who have completed your PharmCAS application:
How long (hour-wise) did it take you?
Did you find it took you more or less time than you thought it would?
How long did you give your instructors / pharmacists, etc to write an LOR for you, and how long did it actually take them? (I hear a month or two is a good timeframe.)
Did you find any point in the process that you had to set it down, gather more information, and come back later? (Besides gaps for school reporting, LOR receipt, PCAT reporting)
What's something you wish someone had told you before you had started?
(Sorry if these questions have been asked before.)
Filling out the PharmCAS app doesn't really take very long. The only long parts are filling in your coursework and of course the personal statement. It took me around 3 hours to finish the app, and I spent about a week writing/revising my statement.
I asked my references last semester to write an LOR for me, and I sent out the PharmCAS requests June 3. Two of them submitted within a week - still waiting on the thrid.
Make sure and read everything on the website before you click any buttons. They don't like to give refunds, so think before you click.
I asked my references last semester to write an LOR for me, and I sent out the PharmCAS requests June 3. Two of them submitted within a week - still waiting on the thrid.
Make sure and read everything on the website before you click any buttons. They don't like to give refunds, so think before you click.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello. Read the PharmCAS FAQ please. The answer is yes.
I like your answer 😉
I thought that person seemed pretty rude when they are asking others for help 🙄
-took me a bit longer than I expected because I had to input ~240 units or so
-gave my LOR writers 1 month to write it, 2 finished within 2 weeks, other took like 1.5 months!
-just finalize , double / triple check the parts you can't come back to
-i wish i saved my inputs from 2008 when i reapplied in 2009 /// wasted money in 2008 buy applying on pharmCAS for schools i had no interest in (didn't do the supplemental) -- apply first to the schools you are for sure interested in , you can add more later
-gave my LOR writers 1 month to write it, 2 finished within 2 weeks, other took like 1.5 months!
-just finalize , double / triple check the parts you can't come back to
-i wish i saved my inputs from 2008 when i reapplied in 2009 /// wasted money in 2008 buy applying on pharmCAS for schools i had no interest in (didn't do the supplemental) -- apply first to the schools you are for sure interested in , you can add more later
The most time consuming portions of the PharmCAS app will (and should) be your LOR and personal statements. While applying early gives you a significant advantage to be accepted, it will do you no good to rush your application.How long (hour-wise) did it take you?
I finished my application by June (started May), but waited early August to submit as I was waiting for my LORs. At the same time I kept tweaking my personal statement. So... longer?Did you find it took you more or less time than you thought it would?
Be considerate to your LOR writers, set up appointments to meet and discuss your LOR, and give them plenty of time to write them. They will be much more appreciative and will write you a much better LOR when you do not rush them. That means you need to contact your LOR writers NOW. Give them at least one month, if not more to write. Don't just sit around waiting though, contact them and ask if they need more information about you or need to know you better.How long did you give your instructors / pharmacists, etc to write an LOR for you, and how long did it actually take them? (I hear a month or two is a good timeframe.)
Put away your personal statement for a few days. Return and carefully consider how your words are being perceived and how you could better restate any portion of your statement. Have your personal statement proofread. SDN has a group of volunteers for this. Also consider your english and speech professors for grammar.Did you find any point in the process that you had to set it down, gather more information, and come back later? (Besides gaps for school reporting, LOR receipt, PCAT reporting)
Hey I'd definitely plan on it taking you longer than you think it will. I'd say if you think you'll have it done by August 1st it will probably take you until mid August. My friend and I both had different hickups that caused our applications to be delayed. My friend was waiting for his grades to be entered into pharmcas only to find out there was a mistake which took an extra couple weeks. And I had an inconsiderate LOR writter that took 3 months to do my LOR despite my reminders and her saying she'd love to do it. I doubt this will happen to you but the very first things you should do is lock in your references and send official transcripts because these are the things you have the least control over and are forced to wait for. Otherwise it might take you a full day to enter everything in. And obviously if you haven't started working on your PS - the sooner the better.
Filling out the PharmCAS app doesn't really take very long. The only long parts are filling in your coursework and of course the personal statement. It took me around 3 hours to finish the app, and I spent about a week writing/revising my statement.
I asked my references last semester to write an LOR for me, and I sent out the PharmCAS requests June 3. Two of them submitted within a week - still waiting on the thrid.
Make sure and read everything on the website before you click any buttons. They don't like to give refunds, so think before you click.
Spot on advice... 👍
but it is a science courses, i selected lecture only but it didn't let me saveYou select lecture only, lab only, or lab and lecture combined when the course is a science course. If it isn't a science course, don't select any of them.
but it is a science courses, i selected lecture only but it didn't let me save
math is a science class?
math is a science class?
Math is a math class, not a science class.
i think the above posts are correct. don't mark any of those choices when inputting those grades
i think pharmcas assumes all science could classes have the possibility of having a lab. math does not fall into that category as no math class has a lab section.
i think pharmcas assumes all science could classes have the possibility of having a lab. math does not fall into that category as no math class has a lab section.
T
Tatodotcom
i think the above posts are correct. don't mark any of those choices when inputting those grades
i think pharmcas assumes all science could classes have the possibility of having a lab. math does not fall into that category as no math class has a lab section.
well, some schools do have labs for math. I had labs for both calc1 and calc2 two but they were included in the credits(it was a 4 hour class). But back to the question as previously stated math is NOT a science class, it's a math class, lol. As it states in the directions on PharmCAS only choose lab or lecture for science classes. gl
but it is a science courses, i selected lecture only but it didn't let me save
😕
You said it was a math course. If it is a math course, follow what PharmCAS states, and leave that field blank. Only designate whether it's lecture, lab, or combined if it is a science course. All of this can be found on PharmCAS.
Hey guys...
question...I'm working on my PharmCAS...do I have to wait for my LOR to be sent and received before I can esubmit my pharmcas?? Or can i go ahead and submit it. If so, how will I know when my LOR are received by pharmcas??
Also, I know people said your pcat cid is something you receive after you register to take the exam, and that it is located on your admission ticket. My question is, can i access my admission ticket immediately after registering?? or how long will i have to wait until I can access the ticket?
thanks : )
question...I'm working on my PharmCAS...do I have to wait for my LOR to be sent and received before I can esubmit my pharmcas?? Or can i go ahead and submit it. If so, how will I know when my LOR are received by pharmcas??
Also, I know people said your pcat cid is something you receive after you register to take the exam, and that it is located on your admission ticket. My question is, can i access my admission ticket immediately after registering?? or how long will i have to wait until I can access the ticket?
thanks : )
You have to send your LOR request before you submit, but you don't have to wait until you receive them. You can check the status in the menu on the right side.
You should receive the admission ticket 10 days or so before the test date. That's when I got mine. Don't e-submit before you type in your cid, though.
You should receive the admission ticket 10 days or so before the test date. That's when I got mine. Don't e-submit before you type in your cid, though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Where do you type in your PCAT CID on PharmCAS. When I made an account on PharmCAS, I didn't type in my PCAT CID because I hadn't registered to take PCAT at that time.You have to send your LOR request before you submit, but you don't have to wait until you receive them. You can check the status in the menu on the right side.
You should receive the admission ticket 10 days or so before the test date. That's when I got mine. Don't e-submit before you type in your cid, though.
You can get the PCAT CID when you have completed the registration process. After you successfully pay your fees ($150.00) to register for the test, you can log in and view your receipt you can retrieve your CID.
Hope that helps.
Note: CID - Candidate Identification
Hope that helps.
Note: CID - Candidate Identification
hi, I got my PCAT CID. I will take PCAT on Oct 09. I don't know where do I input my CID on the PharmCAS application? thanksYou can get the PCAT CID when you have completed the registration process. After you successfully pay your fees ($150.00) to register for the test, you can log in and view your receipt you can retrieve your CID.
Hope that helps.
Note: CID - Candidate Identification
hi, I got my PCAT CID. I will take PCAT on Oct 09. I don't know where do I input my CID on the PharmCAS application? thanks
When you log in, you will have a set of icon menus to select. From the left side, click on "Account Information" under the My Profile Section. And PCAT CID is on the bottom of the menu.
Hope that helps! 🙂
1.
I will be taking PCAT for the 1st time this August. Do i have to wait until I got the PCAT score to e-submit PharmCAS app?
2.
Should I submit the supplemental app before e-submit PharmCAS app?
3.
I've been doing volunteer for the same company for 3 years. I do the volunteer works only 4 months each year (from June to Sept). But, PharmCAS does not have the option to list a separate period of time; they just have "Start Date" and "End Date". So my question is how to let them know that piece of information (I volunteer 4 months each year)?
4.
For the ongoing extracurricular (it will be over this Sept or Oct), should I estimate the total hours of work from the start date to the date I e-submit PharmCAS app or to the end date?
Thanks in advance.
I will be taking PCAT for the 1st time this August. Do i have to wait until I got the PCAT score to e-submit PharmCAS app?
2.
Should I submit the supplemental app before e-submit PharmCAS app?
3.
I've been doing volunteer for the same company for 3 years. I do the volunteer works only 4 months each year (from June to Sept). But, PharmCAS does not have the option to list a separate period of time; they just have "Start Date" and "End Date". So my question is how to let them know that piece of information (I volunteer 4 months each year)?
4.
For the ongoing extracurricular (it will be over this Sept or Oct), should I estimate the total hours of work from the start date to the date I e-submit PharmCAS app or to the end date?
Thanks in advance.
So I'll just get to the point.
I've taken the PCAT January of this year, and of course, I failed it, miserably.
So I'm planning to take the PCAT in August, and then in October if I do fail again, which I don't plan to.
When applying to PharmCAS, am I allowed to put the future date of when I'm going to take the PCAT instead of putting in my old scores?
I e-mailed PharmCAS about this question, but they gave me an auto-reply answer, which really didn't help me.
I've taken the PCAT January of this year, and of course, I failed it, miserably.
So I'm planning to take the PCAT in August, and then in October if I do fail again, which I don't plan to.
When applying to PharmCAS, am I allowed to put the future date of when I'm going to take the PCAT instead of putting in my old scores?
I e-mailed PharmCAS about this question, but they gave me an auto-reply answer, which really didn't help me.
When pcat sends your new scores they will send all of the scores you've recieved in the past 4 or 5 years (or something like that). The schools will see your old scores too which I wouldn't really worry about.
1 = No - you do not have to wait on your scores
2 = Maybe - contact your school(s) directly - some schools will not mind, however some will want your full app first.
3 = Not sure - I would likely list it multiple times - Someone else is likely to know more.
4 = Estimations based on truth is fine - fabricated work that will never be done is not.
2 = Maybe - contact your school(s) directly - some schools will not mind, however some will want your full app first.
3 = Not sure - I would likely list it multiple times - Someone else is likely to know more.
4 = Estimations based on truth is fine - fabricated work that will never be done is not.
4 = Estimations based on truth is fine - fabricated work that will never be done is not.
I've got into a summer research with a professor. She said I can continue to work on Fall if I want, but I don't know. I planned to take 17-18 credits this Fall with all upper-level classes, I dont know if I can handle all this.
Because for the most part they really only consider your most current score. Some people take it three times to get the score they want. I didn't do very well my first time either. If anything your drive to keep improving will show determination. How bad was your first score?
edit
I just stole this quote off one of passion4sci's posts citing how one school views pcat scores. My point was that most schools consider the highest score.
ACP considers the candidate's composite percentile score in the admission process and considers only the highest score if more than one test result is submitted. The minimum composite PCAT score required to receive serious consideration is the 50th percentile. There is no limit to the number of times an applicant can take the PCAT
Don't worry about your low scores just kick ass next time.
edit
I just stole this quote off one of passion4sci's posts citing how one school views pcat scores. My point was that most schools consider the highest score.
ACP considers the candidate's composite percentile score in the admission process and considers only the highest score if more than one test result is submitted. The minimum composite PCAT score required to receive serious consideration is the 50th percentile. There is no limit to the number of times an applicant can take the PCAT
Don't worry about your low scores just kick ass next time.
Last edited:
With pleasure.Because for the most part they really only consider your most current score. Some people take it three times to get the score they want. I didn't do very well my first time either. If anything your drive to keep improving will show determination. How bad was your first score?
edit
I just stole this quote off one of passion4sci's posts citing how one school views pcat scores. My point was that most schools consider the highest score.
ACP considers the candidate's composite percentile score in the admission process and considers only the highest score if more than one test result is submitted. The minimum composite PCAT score required to receive serious consideration is the 50th percentile. There is no limit to the number of times an applicant can take the PCAT
Don't worry about your low scores just kick ass next time.
Thanks for the encouragement.
-
Last edited:
Contact pharmcas and ask them!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'll just get to the point.
I've taken the PCAT January of this year, and of course, I failed it, miserably.
So I'm planning to take the PCAT in August, and then in October if I do fail again, which I don't plan to.
When applying to PharmCAS, am I allowed to put the future date of when I'm going to take the PCAT instead of putting in my old scores?
I e-mailed PharmCAS about this question, but they gave me an auto-reply answer, which really didn't help me.
Yup you can put down future dates. That's what I did. When I submitted my pharmcas in July of last year, I still had to take the august and October pcats. Don't forget to do this, b/c if you don't then the pcat ppl won't know who to send it to!
It's doubtful, but there's no harm in trying. You could always just call and ask them about any exceptions they make, or you could just send in the form and the tax return forms and see what happens.
I was notified via email that my waiver form was accepted. It took a few days after I mailed it to them.
If you do want to try for a waiver, I recommend doing it sooner than later. Last year, all the waivers were gone by the beginning of August.
I was notified via email that my waiver form was accepted. It took a few days after I mailed it to them.
If you do want to try for a waiver, I recommend doing it sooner than later. Last year, all the waivers were gone by the beginning of August.
I do not meet their low income requirement based on the chart they have on their site. However I do get financial aid from Cal Grant...is there a chance I can still be considered for the fee waiver? should i not bother turning it in? oh and also, if I do turn it in, when do I find out if I get it or not?
How far off are you? Do you have any extenuating circumstances? I would call PharmCAS and see if they make any hard-line exceptions to the rule for situation / if you're really close to the line. If so, write them a nice cover letter explaining the situation and send it in, see what they say, especially if waiting to file your application won't hurt you.
What they're going to look at is your Adjusted Gross Income on your 2008 tax return. On a 1040, it's the very last "number" line on the first page and the very first "number" line on the second page (line 32?). If you file a 1040EZ / 1040A, it's called the same thing, although it's on a different line. Agh, why do I have this memorized? In banking too long. 🙄
I'm not sure if you were insinuating this, but... Keep in mind - because one place says you're elligible for financial aid due to your income doesn't mean that another will have the same guidelines or give you assistance since you were given aid at the first place. Some things in the financial aid system work this way (i.e., must demonstrate need on FAFSA to get this grant), but I'm absolutely sure PharmCAS is not one of them.
contact pharmcas and ask them!
+1
Thanks for all the constructive feedback I mailed it out a few days ago and I should know soon. I am not close to the line at all but since I qualified for some government aid i figured i am "kind of" low income although I do realize that each form of aid is under different guidelines. I did ask pharmcas and they were a bit vague so I just wanted some thoughts on it from you guys. I'll let you guys know the results and thanks for the advice.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 811