thirdclius

Member
10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
47
0
Status
Hey all,
I am currently an MPH student and I am just wondering why there is a lack of pharmacists with MPH degrees compared to other professional degrees. But then, it led me to ask these few questions:

How beneficial is an MPH degree to a pharmacist? Are the fields of prevention and community health a part of the pharmD curriculum? What can you do with a PharmD and MPH?

As a student, I am thinking of which ways I can complement my MPH degree with a professional degree. I just want to hear how PharmD students think about getting MPH on top of their pharmD.
 

htyotispharm

Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 30, 2004
63
1
Status
Some PharmD/MPH graduates have careers as full-time clinical pharmacists. Others combine clinical work with research and/or involvement in public health programs and policy at local, state, national, or international levels. Many pharmacists pursue an MPH to prepare them for academic careers in which they will use their knowledge of epidemiology to conduct research in a range of clinical or public health areas, or to design and evaluate community-based health programs
 

tupac_don

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
881
3
Status
thirdclius said:
Hey all,
I am currently an MPH student and I am just wondering why there is a lack of pharmacists with MPH degrees compared to other professional degrees. But then, it led me to ask these few questions:

How beneficial is an MPH degree to a pharmacist? Are the fields of prevention and community health a part of the pharmD curriculum? What can you do with a PharmD and MPH?

As a student, I am thinking of which ways I can complement my MPH degree with a professional degree. I just want to hear how PharmD students think about getting MPH on top of their pharmD.
Best thing to do with an MPH degree + PHarm D is to be a pharmacy co-ordinator or a manager. You are basically setting yourself up for a managerial type position.
 
About the Ads

gdk420

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2003
158
0
Visit site
Status
tupac_don said:
Best thing to do with an MPH degree + PHarm D is to be a pharmacy co-ordinator or a manager. You are basically setting yourself up for a managerial type position.

I thought that would be a PharmD+ mba?
 

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
43,317
24
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
an MPH in admin & policy (or whatever similar category title the school uses) is designed for administration/managerial type positions.
 

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
2,642
7
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
UF has both PharmD + MBA and PharmD + MPH programs depending on what type of management you wish to go into. You can read about them on their website www.cop.ufl.edu
 

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2002
2,909
2,986
DC
Status
Pharmacist, Academic Administration
Most of the Pharm.D./MPH's I know either went to industry in marketing or modeling or joined Ph.D. program tracks. Quite a number a faculty have the BS or Pharm.D./MPh and Ph.D. as qualifiers.

It's a good experience for administrative pharmacy or pharmacoepi, but not really necessary for normal line work. The MPH also isn't a sufficient qualifer for research.
 

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
1,938
7
Visit site
Status
one reason people may not have an MPH is there is actually a public health residency available.
 

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
143
0
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
What can you do with a MPH anyway? I really want to combine my PharmD with another type of degree, but I'm unsure of what I want. I am tossing around the idea of either a MBA or MPH.

Thanks!
 

tupac_don

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
881
3
Status
lazydazy said:
What can you do with a MPH anyway? I really want to combine my PharmD with another type of degree, but I'm unsure of what I want. I am tossing around the idea of either a MBA or MPH.

Thanks!
How about a Pharm D/MD!!! or pharm D/DJD. There is some attractive options. Here is an interesting one too. How about Pharm D/DDS? Think about it.
 

crying moo

pancakes!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2003
209
1
37
Status
Pharmacist
lord999 said:
Most of the Pharm.D./MPH's I know either went to industry in marketing or modeling...
Modeling? :thumbup: I know there's a huge demand for sexy PharmD/MPH's!
 
About the Ads

lazydazy

Go Bulls!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2004
143
0
Florida
Status
Pharmacist
I definitely don't want to attend medical school after I complete my PharmD. I definitely want to get another degree, but unsure of what I want to do. I want to do something in conjunction with my PharmD, which I know that my MPH or MBA can be done along w/my PharmD. However, those options are something to consider. Thanks!
 

doubleup144

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
55
0
Stockton, CA
Status
lazydazy said:
I definitely don't want to attend medical school after I complete my PharmD. I definitely want to get another degree, but unsure of what I want to do. I want to do something in conjunction with my PharmD, which I know that my MPH or MBA can be done along w/my PharmD. However, those options are something to consider. Thanks!
As discussed above, it all depends what you want to do in the future. An MBA has always been looked upon as a managerial type degree where the MPH focuses more on public health and healthcare needs of a population. Both degrees serve their purpose, yet differ in their backgrounds.

I chose to pursue the PharmD/MBA since I've always had an interest in business. Pharmacy has begun shifting more toward a more business-focus, and why not be prepared for the changes in pharmacy? Most people assume that if you're getting a PharmD/MBA, you'll want to open your own pharmacy, but that's not my case. Pharmacy is a growing practice, yet still has a foundation in the traditional aspects.

The best thing you can do regarding if an MPH or MBA is best for you is to research. Email different schools and see what getting a MPH or MBA has to offer for you. Will it complement your future goals?
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
Anyone doin' one o' dees?

I'm looking into the aformementioned program at U of Iowa, and I am wondering if anyone on the forum is currently in this degree option, or is considering it.

Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

-skp
 

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
1,938
7
Visit site
Status
I have considered it several different times..... I still haven't made up my mind as now it will be a matter of going back to get it.

don't forget there are residencies in public health that are also available.
 

Setor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 20, 2004
39
0
Houston
Status
I am actually finishing up my MPH with a concentration in EPI in May, then Ill be going to pharm. school. Im interested in Pharmacoepi, planning to do some sort of research or maybe something with clinical trials. Others who have done the same, took the MPH- Health Policy and Management part to work with HMOs or become pharmacy managers. Im actively searching other options with the combined degree myself.
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
(shameless resurrection of my old thread...)

bbmuffin or sector,

i've contacted U. of Iowa several times concerning their joint PharmD/MPH but haven't got any (clear) responses to this type of questioning:

What fields/jobs do people with this degree end up working in?

I see mentioned a few above - pharmacopeia, pharmacy managment, epi, hmo, clinical trials, etc.

Any other input?? I don't really know the roles one would undertake in the above postitions either... :confused: :oops:

Tx,
-skp
 

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
1,938
7
Visit site
Status
I'm not really sure about the MPH/PharmD but... I know (well, pretty sure he's president) that the AL dept of Public Health main person is a pharmacist.
Also we have a couple of pharmacists on staff who work at the health departments (i'm not sure what they do b/c i didn't get a rotation with them :( ) And you can do a residency here in bham in public health.

the guy at the state dept of public health is incharge of immunization projects and he also is incharge of the vaccination supplies for alabama (and back up for GA). he has formulated plans for disasters (small pox outbreaks) and decides who gets how many vaccines.
i'm sure he does other stuff but that is what i spoke with him about.

i also like the management side of things....
with a MPH i think i would feel extremely qualified to start and corridinate local health related projects and actually have some positive PR when it comes to chains. ( i know wal-mart is doing a big HTN screening thing down here) yes you could do this as a pharmacist but it may take a little longer to work your way up.

Perhaps you would be more likely to be a DM???

I have also thought about working for a hosptial and work on alternative methods. in my public health classes in college we reviewed several alternative therapies (visualization, aromatherapy, massage, yoga, etc). i think it would be neat to incorporate different aspects into hosptial care and have a holisitc experience. (who wouldn't want a massage in the hospital)

i don't know that this is exactly the scope of the two degrees... just what i would like to do with the two.
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
bbmuffin said:
I'm not really sure about the MPH/PharmD but... I know (well, pretty sure he's president) that the AL dept of Public Health main person is a pharmacist.
Also we have a couple of pharmacists on staff who work at the health departments (i'm not sure what they do b/c i didn't get a rotation with them :( ) And you can do a residency here in bham in public health.

the guy at the state dept of public health is incharge of immunization projects and he also is incharge of the vaccination supplies for alabama (and back up for GA). he has formulated plans for disasters (small pox outbreaks) and decides who gets how many vaccines.
i'm sure he does other stuff but that is what i spoke with him about.

i also like the management side of things....
with a MPH i think i would feel extremely qualified to start and corridinate local health related projects and actually have some positive PR when it comes to chains. ( i know wal-mart is doing a big HTN screening thing down here) yes you could do this as a pharmacist but it may take a little longer to work your way up.

Perhaps you would be more likely to be a DM???

I have also thought about working for a hosptial and work on alternative methods. in my public health classes in college we reviewed several alternative therapies (visualization, aromatherapy, massage, yoga, etc). i think it would be neat to incorporate different aspects into hosptial care and have a holisitc experience. (who wouldn't want a massage in the hospital)

i don't know that this is exactly the scope of the two degrees... just what i would like to do with the two.

thanks for the reply
DM=district manager?? i don't know what this means.
all you said sounds pretty interesting...i'm interested in administrative/educational opportunities so maybe this would be a good choice...I just don't know, guess I'll just have to keep researching it.
 

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
1,938
7
Visit site
Status
skp said:
thanks for the reply
DM=district manager?? i don't know what this means.
all you said sounds pretty interesting...i'm interested in administrative/educational opportunities so maybe this would be a good choice...I just don't know, guess I'll just have to keep researching it.
yeah district manager...
sorry about that one...

i will probably end up going back to do one if i do decide i want a MPH

:( more school sucks!!!
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
bbmuffin said:
yeah district manager...
sorry about that one...

i will probably end up going back to do one if i do decide i want a MPH

:( more school sucks!!!
agreed.
 
About the Ads

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
1,938
7
Visit site
Status
one other thing...
it has been my experience that if you attend a pharmacy school who does not currently have a program you want (do this during your 1st year) talk to them about it.

I spoke with some school officials last year about the MPH option (not currently offered) and they were very open to the idea and trying to set up an agreement with another university in town (assuming somewhere already has a program).
had i pursued it i may have been stuck in school for another year but i think they would have established it.
 

Betty'sBeast

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2004
153
0
Sunny Florida
Status
dgroulx said:
UF has both PharmD + MBA and PharmD + MPH programs depending on what type of management you wish to go into. You can read about them on their website www.cop.ufl.edu
I'm considering the UF PharmD/MBA program. I was curious to see what percentage of a PharmD class will pursue the joint MBA program, and how difficult it is to be accepted into the MBA portion. Thanks.
 

fantasty

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2005
18,929
16,588
The one with the Wings
Status
Attending Physician
I know at least one student who is doing the PharmD/MPH at Iowa. PM if you'd like her contact info...
 

skp

free to highest bidder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2004
371
0
IOWA - YOUR GAIN IS OUR LOSS
Status
dante201 said:
I know at least one student who is doing the PharmD/MPH at Iowa. PM if you'd like her contact info...
done :thumbup:
 

esca007

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
40
0
Visit site
Status
Do anyone know the benefits of doing mph/pharmD? How much of an salary income with the mph degree? What kind of job would want a mph/pharmD duel degree? Thanks
 

TCB

live and let live
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2003
378
0
Visit site
Status
That was my goal, unfortunately I didn't get into a school that offers this dual degree. Pfizer guide have a good overwiew of what a public Health pharmacist does. I will leave you another note later !
 

OSURxgirl

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
343
0
Status
I too would like to hear more about benefits and opportunities with this degree combination. I would really like to pursue the PharmD/MPH, because I'm very interested in public health. I am interested in epidemiology and health behavior and promotion and how both relate to mental disorders. I want to get this degree for my own knowledge base and to satisfy my own curiosities, but it would be nice to know what kind of doors this combination may open up for me.
 

Sustiva

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
51
0
Status
hey everyone, Ive got a few questions...

In order to get an MPH, which takes about a year full-time, will I need a bachelor's degree? or will it take longer if I don't have a bachelors?

What kind of career opportunities are there for pharmacists in epidemiology and public health, where I can utilize the PharmD/MPH combination?

Thanks..
 

jjunyi83

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
36
0
Status
Sustiva said:
hey everyone, Ive got a few questions...

In order to get an MPH, which takes about a year full-time, will I need a bachelor's degree? or will it take longer if I don't have a bachelors?

What kind of career opportunities are there for pharmacists in epidemiology and public health, where I can utilize the PharmD/MPH combination?

Thanks..
MPH is a master's program.... therefore you need a bachelor's degree and GRE score.... Also, if MPH is not part of a dual degree program, i think it requires 2 years of study unless you already have a professional degree
 
About the Ads

Oneday_9

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
405
0
41
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Status
jjunyi83 said:
MPH is a master's program.... therefore you need a bachelor's degree and GRE score.... Also, if MPH is not part of a dual degree program, i think it requires 2 years of study unless you already have a professional degree

UCSF has a joint MPH program with UC Berkeley, which I plan on attending, and it's only for 1 year after obtaining a PharmD. You can find more info at

http://pharmacy.ucsf.edu
 

Sustiva

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
51
0
Status
^ Im kind of curious.... what do you want to do after graduation with both degrees?
 

Oneday_9

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2003
405
0
41
San Francisco, CA
Visit site
Status
Sustiva said:
^ Im kind of curious.... what do you want to do after graduation with both degrees?

Well my passion right now is personalized medicine and the whole prescription drug cost issue. I guess, I am thinking of working for the government (state or federal), or with insurance or pharma companies, and try to work on policy addressing any type of prescription issue. Also, I am interested in working to show the benefits of pharmacogenomics via lowering overall medical cost and adverse drug events.

These are my interests, but I am very much open to others. I feel an MPH will give me focus in this area along with my health policy pathway that we have here at UCSF. My emphasis here at UCSF and an MPH will give me the opportunity and leverage to work in these areas from what I have learned from others and from my own research. Adds some credibility, not much in comparison to a PhD but more than a PharmD alone and my health policy project.

Right now, I am working on a small study addressing personalized medicine somewhat indirectly, just on dosing methologies for various chemo drugs, trying to show how genetic tests, liver, kidney tests are more cost efficient than Body Surface Area as a guide for dosing. Its a great start I feel.

With more experience here at school along with networking, I hope to find other ways to apply this knowledge. That's plan for now. Anything can change.
 

Sustiva

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
51
0
Status
^ very, very interesting..

Was it harder to get into the PharmD MPH program than just the regular pharmD program? What qualfied you?
 

esca007

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
40
0
Visit site
Status
Hi,
Wondering if anyone can tell me or lead me to find out what kinds of jobs/career choices that a pharmD with an MPH in health management can do?

esca007
 

kwizard

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
197
1
Status
Attending Physician
jjunyi83 said:
MPH is a master's program.... therefore you need a bachelor's degree and GRE score.... Also, if MPH is not part of a dual degree program, i think it requires 2 years of study unless you already have a professional degree
Sorry but minor corrections...The PharmD would satisfy the need for a previous degree when applying for a MPH program (assuming the PharmD and MPH are being completed at different times). Some schools (I know Hopkins does this) also are willing to waive the GREs in place of the PCATs in the similar manner for med students (i.e. waiving GREs for MCATs).
 

kwizard

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
197
1
Status
Attending Physician
Sustiva said:
hey everyone, Ive got a few questions...

In order to get an MPH, which takes about a year full-time, will I need a bachelor's degree? or will it take longer if I don't have a bachelors?

What kind of career opportunities are there for pharmacists in epidemiology and public health, where I can utilize the PharmD/MPH combination?

Thanks..
PharmD/MPH is an interesting combination and its application will depend largely on your interests. Unlike the PharmD/MBA combo, the PharmD/MPH combo isn't as likely to guarantee an increase in income after completing the degree.

Possible career options w/ the PharmD/MPH...

Applying statistical/epidemiology knowledge in any of the following fields:
Working for a dept of mental health, government/VA hospitals, helping w/ clinical trial data monitoring/collection in industry or at university/academic medical center setting, and CDC

Observational epi knowledge (i.e. WHO policies (influenza breakouts)), FDA monitoring drug Phase IV data, or even outcome data for industry (i.e. pharmacoeconomics/pharmacoepidemiology)

Or some w/ the combo just do clinical pharmacy or academia

PharmD/MPH in management may potentially be better suited getting MHA or MBA if management is the ultimate focus; however the focus on management would still lead the individual into an administrative capacity in the federal sector.


Possibly helpful links
www.apha.com (American Public Health Association)
www.aphanet.org
www.pharmacoepi.org (International Society of Pharmacoepidemiology)
www.ispor.org (International Society for Patient Outcomes Research)
 

mph2pharm

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2006
186
0
Status
Pharmacist
Here is another site that provides information on opportuntities in public health pharmacy:

US Public Health Service (USPHS)
http://www.hhs.gov/pharmacy/main.html

I think that opportunities for pharmacists in public health will continue to grow but it seems to be a somewhat slow process from what I have read. In the past, many pharmacists doing "public health" work have not had formal training in public health (i.e., MPH degree) so I believe that the PharmD/MPH would be quite marketable. I have been a member of the American Public Health Association (APHA) for many years and last year I attended a few sessions at their annual meeting that dealt with public health issues related to the pharmacy profession, including pharmacists rights of refusal and building greater "cultural competency" among pharmacists and other health care professionals.

I am exploring many different options once I receive my PharmD and I hope to build on the years of work experience that I have had in public health. Like someone mentioned above, it doesn't really seem like the PharmD/MPH combination will give you much leverage for a higher pay grade over people with just a PharmD but the knowledge that you will obtain by getting your MPH will undoubtedly help you in your pharmacy career. I think that part of the reason why I was accepted into both schools that I applied to was that my public health degree and past experience really helped me to stand out.
 

dr.rx.ca

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2006
5
0
Status
Pharmacy Student
What would you think about a combined PharmD/MPH (Master of Public Health) degree? Thanks.
 

kwizard

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 6, 2006
197
1
Status
Attending Physician
dr.rx.ca said:
What would you think about a combined PharmD/MPH (Master of Public Health) degree? Thanks.
Please see the following link where this issue was discussed previously. Links to various websites are also listed within the discussion:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=224724

The new search engine really is great w/ finding previously discussed topics. :D
 

Phat Pharm

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
10
0
43
Bay Area, Ca
Status
Pharmacy Student
Hello Folks,
Touro University in Calfornia is set to offer a dual degree program and I would like to poll the audience for their opinons. What can be done and what would you do with a PharmD/MPH??
 

AggieRX

10+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2006
52
0
Houston, TX
Status
Pharmacy Student
That is a geat question. I would also like to know what others think because I am about to complete my MPH and hopefully start pharmacy school next fall. I would love to be able to incorporate both degrees in my future career.
 

Fatpharm

Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2005
163
9
Status
Pharmacist
At University of MD, you can go into different MPH concentrations such as world health, epidemiology, or public health. There are many government and international organizations that look for pharmacists.
 

bsmspharmd

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2007
51
0
Status
Pharmacy Student
Thought I'd revive this thread with the same question (which was never answered originally).

What kind of jobs would a dual degree in MPH/PharmD open up? Anyone know of any Pharm students who are pursuing this dual degree?

I googled Pfizer's guides, but only found dead links. Anybody have a link to a good source about the dual degree?
 
About the Ads