PharmD/MPH (merged threads)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The University of Maryland School of Pharmacy has a working link to the Pfizer career guide:

http://www.pharmacy.umaryland.edu/studentorg/amcp/career information.htm

Here is another link to the U.S. Public Health Service that outlines various opportunities in public health pharmacy:

http://www.hhs.gov/pharmacy/phpharm/contents.html

Members don't see this ad.

Thought I'd revive this thread with the same question (which was never answered originally).

What kind of jobs would a dual degree in MPH/PharmD open up? Anyone know of any Pharm students who are pursuing this dual degree?

I googled Pfizer's guides, but only found dead links. Anybody have a link to a good source about the dual degree?

I would say what the MPH gives you would be the opportunity to move up in hospitals, health departments and teaching. I personally found public health dry, but I've seen enough professors or pharmacists that got kick-ass jobs to recognize the strength of an MPH.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm interested in pursuing a pharmd/mph. i was wondering if anyone could give me some information about it and what careers are available. i was thinking of just pursuing a mph alone but after reading the other forums it seems that the majority have that along with another degree.

I know at least one student who is doing the PharmD/MPH at Iowa. PM if you'd like her contact info...

Hi Dantay,

I saw your post re: PharmD/MPH. I am in the PharmD program and considering the MPH also. Is it okay if I can have the contact information of your friend who did PharmD and MPH?

Thanks.

Beachsaki101

Is the MPH degree useful in getting a good job? It seems to be useful for career advancement of physicians and nurses but I'm not too sure about pharmacists.

What kinds of ways might you be able to utilize such a degree combined with a PharmD?

I think masters of public health deals with how you can approach health issues on a large scale, both at the national and international level. I guess your primary focus would be drug/medication distribution. Perhaps you can research and explore how the unavailability of certain drugs can be of a disadvantage to a third world country. Or maybe you can work with a team of physicians, nurses, etc. and help treat patients overseas.

Although I am very far from a pharmacist and don't know if it is what I really want to do, I've been looking at some dual-degrees/ and comments about them. Some people say dual-degrees are useless, but if you ask me, I think it's creative when people try to think outside of the box and combine the disciples of their career with another field. I was thinking if there was such a thing like forensic pharmacy, hahaha, I don't know. Pharmacy and/or medicine with economics might also be interesting.

I think masters of public health deals with how you can approach health issues on a large scale, both at the national and international level. I guess your primary focus would be drug/medication distribution. Perhaps you can research and explore how the unavailability of certain drugs can be of a disadvantage to a third world country. Or maybe you can work with a team of physicians, nurses, etc. and help treat patients overseas.

Although I am very far from a pharmacist and don't know if it is what I really want to do, I've been looking at some dual-degrees/ and comments about them. Some people say dual-degrees are useless, but if you ask me, I think it's creative when people try to think outside of the box and combine the disciples of their career with another field. I was thinking if there was such a thing like forensic pharmacy, hahaha, I don't know. Pharmacy and/or medicine with economics might also be interesting.

Kentucky has a PharmD/MS Econ

I'm actually looking for feedback from pharmacists or current Pharmacy students..

they might have a good idea about marketability, career development strategies, etc.

i'm curious as to how some specific ways i might be able to combine a pharmd/mph........i.e. where would one work, and doing what, etc.?

Thanks!!!!

Pharmacists are under-utilized in public health, which tends to be run by doctors and nurses.

I'll demonstrate by way of example: a woman on methadone for drug addiction treatment developed active TB. I spoke to a nurse at Public Health, who pays for all TB drugs where I live, and I said, if you give her rifampin, it will increase the metabolism of her methadone. She will feel withdrawal symptoms and possibly relapse into drug use (she had been compliant, clean urines, for some time). I said, can you give her rifabutin instead? The nurse said, the patient's methadone dr was cognizant of the TB tx and would increase the methadone dosage prn.

Long story-short: they gave her rifampin, and the patient ended up relapsing into street drug use. But Public Health won't pay for rifabutin.

That same interaction with rifampin would apply to some HIV drugs.

Anyhow, this situation, and others I've run into through the years have convinced me that there's a role for pharmacists here.

i'm curious as to how some specific ways i might be able to combine a pharmd/mph........i.e. where would one work, and doing what, etc.?

Thanks!!!!

I will give you one sweet example of a door that an MPH could open:

Have you ever heard of the Epidemic Intelligence Service? I hadn't either, but it intrigued the **** out of me. I think it would be cool as **** to have the title "Disease Detective." Jobs similar to this become more realistic with a PharmD/MPH (eg, FDA, CDC, NIH, etc.)

http://www.cdc.gov/eis/about/hayslett.htm

Have you ever heard of the Epidemic Intelligence Service? I hadn't either, but it intrigued the **** out of me. I think it would be cool as **** to have the title "Disease Detective." Jobs similar to this become more realistic with a PharmD/MPH (eg, FDA, CDC, NIH, etc.)

Right. Just another excuse for you to keep on going to school and not enter the real world!

Right. Just another excuse for you to keep on going to school and not enter the real world!

Not sure of the reason for the random irrelevant shot, but I know how to play along. I say it is a very sad life for anyone who considers Walgreens their "real world." Just sayin'....

I say it is a very sad life for anyone who considers Walgreens their "real world." Just sayin'....

I agree. That's why I dont work for Walgreens...just saying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmavixen's post is intriguing. Speaking of combined degrees, I've always wondered why there aren't more pharmacists doing biological research in fields like microbiology/immunology, virology, etc.

I will give you one sweet example of a door that an MPH could open:

http://www.cdc.gov/eis/about/hayslett.htm

Wow! That is really sick! Are you a pharmD candidate? I had never heard of this before, though I was wondering how forensics could combine with medicine and/or pharmacy.

Kentucky has a PharmD/MS Econ

I'm actually looking for feedback from pharmacists or current Pharmacy students..

they might have a good idea about marketability, career development strategies, etc.

Thanks!!!!

Is that straight Econ or PharmacoEcon?
http://www.usc.edu/schools/pharmacy/clinicalpharmpep/pep/

The USC at 2008 ISPOR link (on the web page linked above) has some of the titles for poster presentations to get an idea what their research topics are.

I think combined degrees give you a significant edge over the competition in pretty much any field. I have an MBA with a healthcare mgmt specialization, and this is very desirable where I work. The combo PharmD/MBA or MHA, ect, will help push you to a senior level position in any pharmacy discipline that you choose. You really can't go wrong with a combined clinical / business degree, it's useful anywhere. With more and more schools offering the combined program in pharm school (ie. UK), you will begin to see a significant trend in the workforce in the future.

Best thing about getting an MBA though, most programs allow you to work full time while working on this degree :D (if you do it separate from the pharmD program). I was extremely happy about my program offering the healthcare specialization. After finishing your PharmD, an MBA will be a piece of cake.

I think combined degrees give you a significant edge over the competition in pretty much any field. I have an MBA with a healthcare mgmt specialization, and this is very desirable where I work. The combo PharmD/MBA or MHA, ect, will help push you to a senior level position in any pharmacy discipline that you choose. You really can't go wrong with a combined clinical / business degree, it's useful anywhere. With more and more schools offering the combined program in pharm school (ie. UK), you will begin to see a significant trend in the workforce in the future.

Best thing about getting an MBA though, most programs allow you to work full time while working on this degree :D (if you do it separate from the pharmD program). I was extremely happy about my program offering the healthcare specialization. After finishing your PharmD, an MBA will be a piece of cake.

It's really not even that bad to do the two programs simultaneously. I'm doing PharmD/MBA right now and both programs are very good about working with students to make it tolerable.

Does anyone know of anyone who has a mph and pharmd... if so what do they do? what field opportunities are available...

sorry if this is reposted.. when i searched I saw only MPH and MD and other stuff

I take it no one is a MPH/Pharmd

I know someone who is a PharmD/MPH. She bores and aggravates 75 students twice a week by asking questions so vague that The Riddler would wet himself with joy if he came across her lesson plan, misspelling the President's last name, and mixing up HMO's and MCO's constantly.

I used to intern at a place where they had a pharmacy director who was an MPH/Pharm.D. He got laid off 3 months after that...Nothing really special with MPH or MBA.

Last edited:
If your MPH focused on biostats/epidemiology I would opine that you'd have more opportunities in managed care and pharmacoeconomics type positions. Skills in data mining/number crunching and pharmacy are a good match. If it focused on the warm and cudly aspects of public health, not sure youll get much out of it.

I used to intern at a place where they had a pharmacy director who was an MPH/Pharm.D. He got laid off 3 months after that...Nothing really special with MPH or MBA.

yes, since you're using such a large sample size to make that claim..

I think if you have an interest in working in the Public Health sector, it would do you well. If you are wanting to stay retail, probably not so much.

yes, since you're using such a large sample size to make that claim..

rxforlife2004 likes to make extreme generalizations from limited experience. You can see it in almost every single post he has ever made!:smuggrin:

im just wondering what types of jobs you would do or apply for? I do not know of anyone with a MPH/PharmD but I have seen some schools offer it.

Does anyone know of anyone who has a mph and pharmd... if so what do they do? what field opportunities are available...

sorry if this is reposted.. when i searched I saw only MPH and MD and other stuff

It's primarily an academic degree which gives you training in drug information, health policy, and some epidemiology if I'm not mistaken. I know of two Pharm.D/MPH who do academia. Thinking of research?

PharMed2016 said:
It's primarily an academic degree which gives you training in drug information, health policy, and some epidemiology if I'm not mistaken. I know of two Pharm.D/MPH who do academia. Thinking of research?

As with any degree, its what you do with it that counts. Every MPH program out there is different but generally you can focus your studies on useful things like Health Management, Biostatistics, Epidemiology as well as some of the less useful warm and fuzzy topics like "health promotion." Just like with an MBA, after you graduate its up to you to sell yourself and the skills you gained. If you are interested in working for an HMO, biostats and health management knowledge will give you a leg up. If DOP is your thing then a management track MPH will serve you well. That said, I would never pay for one unless I have a clear goal in mind eg. Im looking at a particular career opportunity and the MPH degree would be directly relavent to it.

I'm actually looking to complete PharmD/MPH when in Pharmacy school. I think it would be useful for me as I'm looking to work with international health organizations like WHO, UN and others which will allow me to contribute my clinical knowledge with various aspects of public health.

Hello,

I am really flirting with thoughts of pursuing the PharmD/MPH track. Are there any prospective students out there, or if you're currently doing so at Iowa or Kentucky for ex., please share your thoughts and experience and how feasible this joint program is!! Are you simply over worked each semester (more than the average pharm school student) in trying to meet the requirements? Thanks for opining.

cheers

Don't some of these programs basically make you take a year off between P2 and P3 year to complete your MPH? It seems like it's a way more convenient way to do things than just getting your MPH after getting your PharmD.

Yes, that is essentially what they do. For example, take a look at UF's PharmD/MBA curriculum (starting on page 5): http://www.cop.ufl.edu/studaff/mba.pdf

I'm highly considering it.

At Iowa, you don't take a year off. You take classes concurrently with your pharmacy classes, as well as over the summer, if you choose. Some take one or two classes over the summer and the rest with their pharmacy classes. Others take the majority of their mph classes over the summer and only pharmacy classes during the year. It's really up to you, as you plan your own personal mph schedule. There is a lot of freedom to get it done how you want to. Personally, I've found that taking 1 additional class, on top of the pharmacy classes, each semester isn't bad. I don't feel overworked and still have time to participate in student orgs and work as an intern. Everyone is different though. You can always try it out and if you don't like it, you can drop it. You're not losing out on any money (unless you take a summer class).

What's the role of a pharmacist in public health?

How can studying epidemiology and biostatistics aide the pharmacist in his practice?

Once disease spread, etc is understood what can a pharmacist, not being a diagnostician or able to provide treatment, do about it?

Serious questions here. No put downs.

I thought (as previously discussed in another post) that an MPH better prepared a clinical pharmacist to assume a wider role in a hospital environment (department head, administrator, etc).

I would think an MHA or even MBA would lend themselves better to an administrator role. There are a few admin-type classes in MPH curriculums, but why not choose a master's program relating solely to administration if admin is the sought after career path.

I think it's the difference between advancement at a retail pharmacy and at a hospital. You're more directly involved in healthcare at the hospital, and I thought the MPH lent itself nicely to improving your skillset in that area. While a hospital is a business, I think that the MBA is not the degree I would choose if I could only pick one (MBA or MPH).

I will admit I'm not familiar with the MHA. I'll have to look more into that.

I was looking at UW Madison and they offer a Masters in public health (MPH) program while you are working on your Pharm D and I was just wondering if there was any advantage to this ? because it didn't give a lot of useful/applicable information on their site

Also does anyone go to Madison. how do you like it ?

As discussed above, it all depends what you want to do in the future. An MBA has always been looked upon as a managerial type degree where the MPH focuses more on public health and healthcare needs of a population. Both degrees serve their purpose, yet differ in their backgrounds.

I chose to pursue the PharmD/MBA since I've always had an interest in business. Pharmacy has begun shifting more toward a more business-focus, and why not be prepared for the changes in pharmacy? Most people assume that if you're getting a PharmD/MBA, you'll want to open your own pharmacy, but that's not my case. Pharmacy is a growing practice, yet still has a foundation in the traditional aspects.

The best thing you can do regarding if an MPH or MBA is best for you is to research. Email different schools and see what getting a MPH or MBA has to offer for you. Will it complement your future goals?

Would an MBA and an MS in Pharmacy Administration serve similar purposes?

What's the role of a pharmacist in public health?

How can studying epidemiology and biostatistics aide the pharmacist in his practice?

Once disease spread, etc is understood what can a pharmacist, not being a diagnostician or able to provide treatment, do about it?

Serious questions here. No put downs.

This is kind of a dumb question. Getting an MPH background would assist you in doing outcomes research in your area of interest by yourself. For example, in ID, looking at trends in KPCs within your hospital and correlating it with antibiotic use. In transplant, looking at incidence in CMV among different populations and deciding how long to prophylax and with what agent. The list of examples is endless. And if you are good at what you do maybe you become the director of clinical outcomes for a department or hospital etc.

This is kind of a dumb question. Getting an MPH background would assist you in doing outcomes research in your area of interest by yourself. For example, in ID, looking at trends in KPCs within your hospital and correlating it with antibiotic use. In transplant, looking at incidence in CMV among different populations and deciding how long to prophylax and with what agent. The list of examples is endless. And if you are good at what you do maybe you become the director of clinical outcomes for a department or hospital etc.

You are going to be one damn fine optometrist....:laugh:

whoisyourdadd128630949095778931.jpg