PharmD/PA

Started by deleted390966
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

D

deleted390966

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With a PharmD/PA degree, do you choose to practice as a PharmD or a PA after graduation, or do you get to do both? How many years of residency or post-graduate clinical hours are required to become a full-fledged PharmD/PA?
Can some of you please shed some light on this for me?
 
With a PharmD/PA degree, do you choose to practice as a PharmD or a PA after graduation, or do you get to do both? How many years of residency or post-graduate clinical hours are required to become a full-fledged PharmD/PA?
Can some of you please shed some light on this for me?

You will end up typically in a career which will focus on one more than the other. For example, if you are a in a primary care setting, you'll end up being more of a PA. I believe some schools of pharmacy have either started or will soon be starting dual degree programs which typically take 5 years (thus saving you one year).
 
yeah, Im intertested in PharmD/PA. As the interest for primary care is on the rise, I want to be able to diagnosis and prescribe. I also want to be able to work in a pharmacy.

my school has a pharmD/mba program (I might do that, since it only takes summer)
it also has a PA program, Im going to ask about it.
 
How many of these programs are still around? I know when I was applying to schools, I could only find one or two PharmD/PA programs with info online. The one in Washington required you to apply for the PA portion after completing a year of pharmacy school, and that was too big of a gamble for me to consider. "Hey honey, let's move to another state and pay OOS tuition on the off chance I might get into a dual degree program next year."

To those who see no benefit to the extra training, I would say that our patient assessment class has made me wish I had the PA training so that I could have a lot of options at the VA or similar institution.