PharmD/PhD programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD Is Me

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. I know that there are programs that offer the PharmD/PhD together but if a school doesn't, and I later wanted to continue my education and tried to get into a PhD program, will that be possible if I attended a different school. I didn't know if I would have to apply to an actual med school or if I could go to another school and apply to finish a PhD with their pharmacy class?? Any help would be great!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. I know that there are programs that offer the PharmD/PhD together but if a school doesn't, and I later wanted to continue my education and tried to get into a PhD program, will that be possible if I attended a different school. I didn't know if I would have to apply to an actual med school or if I could go to another school and apply to finish a PhD with their pharmacy class?? Any help would be great!!

What would stop you from getting a PharmD and then going to another school to get a PhD?

I'm not sure whether you're asking about being enrolled at two schools at the same time working on 2 degrees or about finishing the PharmD and then going elsewhere for the PhD. If it's the first, I would think that would be horribly stressful and that you wouldn't get much done on either degree. I don't think there's anything wrong with getting a PharmD and then going elsewhere to get a PhD though.

I actually had a similar question.... I am doing a PharmD this coming semester.... and my school has a joint PharmD/Phd program but I didn't apply for the Phd.....

best bet would be to get to know the professors in the doctorate program and see if you can apply in your second year.......