PharmD/RPh applying to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dohnut

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, I just wanted to get some opinions & advice.

I graduated from pharmacy school in 09 with a PharmD and have been a RPh for 5 years. Been collaborating with primary care physicians and heard a higher calling so decided to try med school.

Pretty much got done with all med school prereqs before pharmacy school 10 years ago, 3.64 undergrad GPA, 3.44 science/math GPA, 2,85 pharmacy school GPA (this is my main worry here), taking MCAT in May & got 28 on the free sample MCAT a few weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from pharmacy school in 09 with a PharmD and have been a RPh for 5 years. Been collaborating with primary care physicians and heard a higher calling so decided to try med school.

Pretty much got done with all med school prereqs before pharmacy school 10 years ago, 3.64 undergrad GPA, 3.44 science/math GPA, 2,85 pharmacy school GPA (this is my main worry here), taking MCAT in May & got 28 on the free sample MCAT a few weeks ago.

Sorry, did I miss the question? Or do you just want general opinions on your situation?

If you are thinking to apply to Med school, well I know you will look a good applicant for an Osteopathic Medical School. Not sure if thats what you wanna do. You didn't say much about your EC and shadowing. Eventhough, you really dont need them, but you do for application purposes. Give your best shot for your MCATs, good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, did I miss the question? Or do you just want general opinions on your situation?

Yes, general opinions on my situation will be much appreciated, as I have been out of school and working full time for so long.

If you are thinking to apply to Med school, well I know you will look a good applicant for an Osteopathic Medical School. Not sure if thats what you wanna do. You didn't say much about your EC and shadowing. Eventhough, you really dont need them, but you do for application purposes. Give your best shot for your MCATs, good luck.

Thank you so much for your reply indianarn.

I have been working my butt off full time since graduating from pharmacy school so never had the time and stamina to do any extracurriculars. I work with physicians and during my infectious diseases rotation I even got to hang out and work with a team of physician residents for a few weeks. And out of curiosity, why do you think I'd make a good candidate for a DO school but not an MD school?

Thank you so much for your reply indianarn.

I have been working my butt off full time since graduating from pharmacy school so never had the time and stamina to do any extracurriculars. I work with physicians and during my infectious diseases rotation I even got to hang out and work with a team of physician residents for a few weeks. And out of curiosity, why do you think I'd make a good candidate for a DO school but not an MD school?

I never meant to say you don't make a good candidate for an MD school. You probably are and many people like you do end up there. When I said DO school, what I wanted to say was that they tend to like non trad people like you and I. Everything that you have done and will do will make you a stronger candidate for and osteopathic school. That in no way means you can't and shouldn't apply to an MD school. Osteopathic schools are just other options and in my eyes should be considered as strongly. After all, as you know, both schools produce fully functioning and practicing doctors. Keep in touch. Good luck.

Hey, I'm a P4 pharmacy student considering applying to medical school too, but I will probably start applying in a year or two if I really feel, after consideration, it is what I want to do. What did you do as a pharmacist? Clinical?
My GPA is also my concern and pre-pharm did not require me to take a few classes medical school requires. Otherwise, I've started to consider medical school after I talked to some family members who are in med school. I'm doing an internal medicine rotation right now and also really enjoy being around the medical residents and interns and seeing what they do. It's going to require a lot of thought, but I personally feel like I don't have a huge interest in drugs as much as I do knowing about disease and pathophysiology. I feel like so much of pharmacy requires memorization and of course, some critical thinking is involved, but I want to know more about diseases than drugs.

Have you talked to the doctors you work with about it? You probably have enough experience if you've been working with them for five years. Do you think they can also write a reference for you?

The only thing I know is you really have to explain your switch. As far as GPA goes, I'm still trying to figure out what to do to fix mine-whether I should take community college classes or somthing else. tbh I do not want to take many more classes, I feel like I learn SO much from experience than I do from these classes and while that's a requirement for the MCAT, I wish I could explain more from my experiences than classes.

Hey, I'm a P4 pharmacy student considering applying to medical school too, but I will probably start applying in a year or two if I really feel, after consideration, it is what I want to do. What did you do as a pharmacist? Clinical?
My GPA is also my concern and pre-pharm did not require me to take a few classes medical school requires. Otherwise, I've started to consider medical school after I talked to some family members who are in med school. I'm doing an internal medicine rotation right now and also really enjoy being around the medical residents and interns and seeing what they do. It's going to require a lot of thought, but I personally feel like I don't have a huge interest in drugs as much as I do knowing about disease and pathophysiology. I feel like so much of pharmacy requires memorization and of course, some critical thinking is involved, but I want to know more about diseases than drugs.

Have you talked to the doctors you work with about it? You probably have enough experience if you've been working with them for five years. Do you think they can also write a reference for you?

The only thing I know is you really have to explain your switch. As far as GPA goes, I'm still trying to figure out what to do to fix mine-whether I should take community college classes or somthing else. tbh I do not want to take many more classes, I feel like I learn SO much from experience than I do from these classes and while that's a requirement for the MCAT, I wish I could explain more from my experiences than classes.

I think some time practicing pharmacy will better prepare you in your medical career in dealing with patients as opposed to going into med school straight outta pharm school. Not to mention doing those back to back, you risk burning yourself out.

And no I didn't go the clinical route, although had a hospital gig. Got student loans taken care of, and if you geta weekend job as RPh while in med school, you wwon't be owing a whole lotta tuition money.

hey donut, we are in the same boat for the most part. I am applying to medical school this june (hopefully) my mcat is scheduled for late april, may have to push it back. Our ug gpa is pretty close, pharm is a little different, where are you from and where are you looking to apply? how is studying going for the mcat?
-chris

I have a question for those RPh's/PharmD's out there that are in or have graduated medical school as well - how many hours a week/month did you work while in med school as a pharmacist? I've got a few years before I decide on making the transition, but am considering all options and am wondering how the lifestyle would be trying to work to maintain an income to support the family, be able to study hard and have time to spend with wife and kids if we have them by then. I know it will be a crazy-busy set of years, and I'm not expecting a laid back process, but am trying to plan ahead. By that time, I will be eligible for the GI bill, which will help the first three years, but going from 80 some thousand a year to the GI bill's BAH alone will not cut it. Thanks!

I have a question for those RPh's/PharmD's out there that are in or have graduated medical school as well - how many hours a week/month did you work while in med school as a pharmacist? I've got a few years before I decide on making the transition, but am considering all options and am wondering how the lifestyle would be trying to work to maintain an income to support the family, be able to study hard and have time to spend with wife and kids if we have them by then. I know it will be a crazy-busy set of years, and I'm not expecting a laid back process, but am trying to plan ahead. By that time, I will be eligible for the GI bill, which will help the first three years, but going from 80 some thousand a year to the GI bill's BAH alone will not cut it. Thanks!
interesting question, I would like to hear a few responses as well but it would most likely be subjective as everyone's abilities are somewhat different

interesting question, I would like to hear a few responses as well but it would most likely be subjective as everyone's abilities are somewhat different
Same. I don't have much intern experience so I can only consider doing a staff pharmacist job at a hospital at this point. Wonder how I can manage that

Hello all,

I am here in regards to hear your opinions on my current situation. I have a BA in Chemistry, and will be
graduating in 2 semesters with a Pharm.D/MBA (PharmD not in a 0-6 program) dual degree . I will soon
be taking my MCAT this year and will be applying to medical school, being that i want to pursue internal
med and expand on my pharmacology knowledge, and would like my job better geared towards direct
patient care. My undergrad GPA was an over all 3.3, and a science gpa of 3.2. However, my pharmd
gpa is a 3.79, and my mba is a 3.65, volunteer hours as an EMS, and helping rural communities in mexico.
Do you think i have a good shot on getting into medical school?
I am 26 years old (don't know if that will affect me). Also, do you think my pharmd/mba degree will
give me a bit of an advantage? Would a minimum of a 27 get me an interview (of course i want to
get above a 30) for medical school? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't think this matters
but i am considered a minority (though i would assume they see me for the hard work i did).

Look forward to hearing from you all!

-jagzonjagz

Hello all,

I am here in regards to hear your opinions on my current situation. I have a BA in Chemistry, and will be
graduating in 2 semesters with a Pharm.D/MBA (PharmD not in a 0-6 program) dual degree . I will soon
be taking my MCAT this year and will be applying to medical school, being that i want to pursue internal
med and expand on my pharmacology knowledge, and would like my job better geared towards direct
patient care. My undergrad GPA was an over all 3.3, and a science gpa of 3.2. However, my pharmd
gpa is a 3.79, and my mba is a 3.65, volunteer hours as an EMS, and helping rural communities in mexico.
I am 26 years old (don't know if that will affect me). Also, do you think my pharmd/mba degree will
give me a bit of an advantage? Would a minimum of a 27 get me an interview (of course i want to
get above a 30) for medical school? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't think this matters
but i am considered a minority (though i would assume they see me for the hard work i did).

-jagzonjagz

Get a 27+ and you have a good shot at DO, especially if you apply early. I think MD is unlikely.

good luck.

Very nice job on pharm gpa! That is not easy to do. I think a 27 or higher will open quite a few doors in the DO world. However, my biggest question is you haven't even worked as a pharmacist, why the change without gaining any real world experience? Working as a pharm student at CVS or the hospital doesn't really compare to what you have to do as a pharmacist, two very different positions. Have a solid answer to that question. Best of luck

Hello all,

-jagzonjagz

I think you have a solid shot at MD. Get a 29+ and I don't think you will have too much difficulty getting into state schools. As far as advice just do well on the MCAT and finish pharm school strong, 26 isn't too old as I started med school at 27 after getting my PharmD (and my MD is about 2 weeks away). Feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.