PhD/PsyD moms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eugi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 27 and currently switching careers (I'm interested in the PsyD program). I'm getting married soon and would like to start a family but I know that it will be difficult while in school.

I would love to hear from anyone who is in a PhD or PsyD program who is a mom, or is thinking about having children while in the program. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I do not have direct experience with having children but would advise you to avoid supervisors who are females who delayed their childbearing until they established their academic career. These are the profs who will not be supportive of your decision to start a family during grad school.
There are several people in my program who have children - it tends to delay PhD completion for the mother but they do finish.

I'm sure it depends on the program. I know at my particular program (PhD), it was not openly welcomed or supported. Those who became pregnant during their completion of the program were sometimes looked down upon, and I even heard of various faculty making comments such as "that really will slow her down" or directly questioning the student's "commitment" to the program. Of course, I don't advocate such opinions -- ridiculous! I'm just saying be careful because these opinions do exist, even if unspoken. In extreme cases, it might even hurt your chances (with some faculty) if you were to bring this issue up during interviews for acceptance into a program. However, a couple of my my classmates and more in the classes before mine had kids and managed to complete the program, although in each case I know of it took them longer to finish. My advice is don't delay your happiness. There will never be a "perfect time" for anything, and if you keep waiting "until I get out of school," "until I get through internship," or "until I'm secure in my first job" you'll be waiting forever! I'm sure there are plenty of supportive programs and faculty, especially if you're talking about a program that allows part-time students -- or if you have to take a semester off or something. Do what's right for you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is defiantely an informative discussion for women seeking entry into the field. It saddens me to learn that WOMEN will too look down on a student because she is pregnant. I thought that antiquated way of thinking would still remain with certain men but didnt expect women to be on that bandwagon.

Oh well....I am an optimist....as I am getting married next year and do plan to have children while in a doctoral program. Yes, it will be hard but it can be done and isn't un heard of. It may be hurtful to have a faculty member look down upon your choice to have children while in a program, but you know what?...this is your life....they will survive. OFten times they may look at you and wish they did the same so they choose to scoff at your decision.

As women, yes these are obstacles we face because there still lies this school of thought that if women want to get ahead then they should wait to have children 4 years before they are barren and struggling to have children.

My mentor in undergrad was a woman who actually had her first child when she was in undergrad, and then another while in her PhD program. I think it is just finding the right program that YOU are comfortable with.
I know having a woman mentor in undergrad taught me a lot...I say go for it!! :thumbup:

I will be 28 in 2 weeks, I have a 4 year-old daughter and I am a first year PsyD student. I haven't really started yet, so I don't know how it is going to work out, but I will definitely keep you posted! I know the school I will be attending looks for more mature, established students, so from the very beginning they recognized that I am a single mom and connected me with other mothers in the program. They were very welcoming toward me and my situation and they actually have several women who have given birth in the past few years while in the program. Anyone who looks down on someone for trying to have a family probably belongs to the old school mentality that a mother can't do more than one thing and I would be very skeptical of learning new and progressive techniques from these individuals. It is much harder to be a serious student with a child, but if you are smart enought to gain entrance to a program, then you are smart enough to budget your time and succeed. Good luck!

Thanks for all your replies and comments.
Flutterbyu, I think it's amazing that as a single mom you are pursuing your dream. Congratulations and Good Luck!! You've definitely inspired me!
Please keep us posted; I would love to hear about all your experiences in the upcoming months as you start your program.

Your program sounds like the type of program I would be interested in. I was wondering what school you are going to and if you know of other similar programs (ie., mature-student friendly).
thanks again

eugi said:
I'm 27 and currently switching careers (I'm interested in the PsyD program). I'm getting married soon and would like to start a family but I know that it will be difficult while in school.

I would love to hear from anyone who is in a PhD or PsyD program who is a mom, or is thinking about having children while in the program. Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
thanks

Hi there. I'm going to be 27 in a few weeks and I have 2 children (3&7) with 2 step children (10&11) part time. Im currently working on my BA in psychology and plan to attend med school after that. Yes it is going to be extremely difficult, but I have a very suportive fiance and ex husband. I can't imagine the PhD or PsyD program being much harder than med school and residency, but I guess I don't really know. My point, however, is that it's done all of the time and I think it's a real shame for people to look down on that. You could also check out MomMD.com. I find it inspiring to talk to other mothers doing what I am or have done what I want to do. I'ts basically the same as this site, but with mothers. Actually I was refered to this site from that site. Good luck to you. :)