PhD/PsyD waitlist - assume rejection at this point?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsyD2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waitlisted for one PsyD (Rutgers) and one PhD program (LIU Brooklyn). I have been in contact with both programs since being waitlisted and have always received encouraging emails that sounded very promising. I checked in with both programs last week or so and have not heard anything since, and I am getting a little worried. This is my first cycle applying, so I don't know how normal it is to still be waiting.. Both programs indicated I was high up on the waitlist (although one was less direct about it so who knows). One program checked in 3 weeks ago mentioning that movement is beginning to occur and that they remain excited about the possibility of rendering an offer and asked whether I had accepted other offers etc. I really got my hopes up after that email, and I know that it is obviously out of their hands how many accept and decline initial offers, but feeling less hopeful now.

I have an acceptance from another school, but it was further down on my list and it's hard to get excited about it since LIU and Rutgers were and are my top choices. That being said I plan to accept the offer should I not make it off of the waitlist, and I have to make a deposit by the 15th. It sounds like some programs don't let waitlist people know until after the 15th? Is that very common? Feeling a bit down this week, after having been pretty hopeful about the waitlists for the past weeks, but now also feeling a tad naive for possibly reading too much into email exchanges. This is my first time applying, and I am wondering if I should assume rejection at this point since we are also so close to April 15h and make the deposit to the school that accepted me or wait it out.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but I had one program not send me a rejection letter until June.

Also, as the original creator of the "Waitlist Blues" thread, I'm sorry to hear about your position. It's not a fun situation. Hope that you hear good news soon!

Reactions: 2 users
It sounds like some programs don't let waitlist people know until after the 15th? Is that very common?
Every program is different but generally, programs will make waitlist offers immediately after somebody declines an offer as that's in their best interest.

However, somebody may still be holding multiple offers and waiting until 4/15 to accept/decline, in which case the rejected program can determine if they want to offer their waitlist or stick with their class as is.

Don't feel pressure to put in your deposit prior to the 15th since you are on multiple waitlists (I'm assuming this is a self-pay PsyD since I don't think funded programs require financial deposits).

You can always try to reach out again on the 15th and ask directly whether they have filled out their class. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd be very skeptical of any program that requires students to "make a deposit" with them.

Reactions: 3 users
I got off the waitlist as I was typing this!!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
Also, jus waned to clarify that the deposit would have been on the 15th.

I'd be very skeptical of any program that requires students to "make a deposit" with them.
Many programs (APA accredited) require deposits. It's usually part of university policy and the admission process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
^ This. Plus, we’re talking about Rutgers and LIU here, not exactly an Alliant or PAU :)

@OP, congrats! Which waitlist did you get off? :D