PhD.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JGDL

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know which steps you have to do after finishing med school to get a PhD.
I?m going to do a postdoctoral research fellowship before starting the residency and I would be interested on getting a PhD but I don?t know the steps and if you need a minimum of research years before getting it.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it can vary a lot, but it usually takes at least 5 yrs if I am not mistaken, and sometimes much longer. I don't know the details for applying...

Getting a PhD when you already hold a medical degree or its equivalent is important only if you want to do academic medicine, eg. teach and do research at major institutions because it may make getting external funding and grants easier. You have to apply to university program that offer the degree. Some may require the GRE scores. Unless, you want to do research/teach at major institution it probably is not worth your while to do a PhD. You can still do research with just a medical degree and some research fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 cents:

just do your post-doc and skip the phd. Lots of MD's do bench driven lab research. It's just important to succeed at your post-doc to prove you've "got what it takes."

-mrp

There are some residencies that offer lab work/a PhD during residency....the only one I'm familiar with is Gen. Surgery at the U of Minnesota....they do lab work (2 or 3 years) in the middle of residency and get their PhD in surgery........

You might check into what programs offer this kind of an opportunity if you are interested...It would extend residency, but you'd get your PhD...

Kris

just to keep this post alive, i am also interested in pursuing a phd while in residency. I've been thinking about it for a while, almost went to grad school instead of med school, and then i've thought about combined degrees, but i just can't see myself postponing the much awaited clinical years any longer. i heard the columbia neuro residency had something set up, but i couldn't find anything on their site. If anyone knows of any other programs let me know, also, tell me more about this post doc your doing before residency, sounds like an interesting option.
pirulo
umdnj-som

I didnt know you could get a PhD in surgery. Can you also get one in stuff like cardiology, radiology, etc?