Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone give some highlights of the GA campus? Are the rotations good? How about the area?

Can anyone give some highlights of the GA campus? Are the rotations good? How about the area?

I would like information regarding this as well!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
One of the most interesting DO schools to me. Will definitely apply here

I would like to know about housing in the area

I literally work within 7 miles of the campus and my friends goes to the school. I have been to the school using guest pass.
The school looks like a factory from outside, but inside is good. I love the library because is new and 24/7.

I am actually going to see the admissions tomorrow for questions.

I have 3.29/28. and applying this cycle as well.

I would like to know about housing in the area
Literally there is are apartments in 2 minute drive. Walking is impossible tho. Plenty of parking spaces

Mall of GA 6 miles away, down town ATL 25 minute drive, Publix 30 sec away (in car).
Brand new apartment 2 minutes away.

I work at the clinic 5 minutes away from here and lived around here for 11 years.

Reactions: 1 users
Literally there is are apartments in 2 minute drive. Walking is impossible tho. Plenty of parking spaces
Thank you I appreciate the info

I would like information regarding this as well!

Rotations are set up in different locations (or hubs) allowing a student to know that all their rotations will be within a decent drive... ATL is the biggest location where about half the students do their rotations. The second biggest rotation hub is in Warner Robins GA (about 20-25 students), with others around the state and even some out of state. More info for rotations will be provided as you go through the interview/acceptance process. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone from the Biomedical Science program applying?

Now following this thread! One of my top choices, stats are 37, 3.89. Good luck to everybody!

Now following this thread! One of my top choices, stats are 37, 3.89. Good luck to everybody!

Damn son. If I may ask, why are you applying to DO schools? Do you have a special interest in the osteopathic philosophy? If so, that's awesome.

Damn son. If I may ask, why are you applying to DO schools? Do you have a special interest in the osteopathic philosophy? If so, that's awesome.
It's right in the location I want to be combined with the DO philosophy. I know Emory is right there too and its also high on my list, but my shadowing has just made me feel I'd enjoy DO more.

It's right in the location I want to be combined with the DO philosophy. I know Emory is right there too and its also high on my list, but my shadowing has just made me feel I'd enjoy DO more.
There is no DO philosophy. In the US there is no difference in the scope or style of practice between DO and MD. Broaden your app for greater success.

There is no DO philosophy. In the US there is no difference in the scope or style of practice between DO and MD. Broaden your app for greater success.

Sorry, but if there's no difference then why do DO schools even exist if they're the same as allopathic?

Perhaps you have heard of AT Still? Its not just a school in Missouri. ... Ha all kidding aside. There was a time when MD and DO where very different but not anymore. DO still retains a bit of its past (OMT) but for the grand majority of DO they do the exact same job the exact same way. Really the only big difference between the two is resources. With most MD schools being older and having way more money most can hire stronger staff but are way slower to change a problem. ( Hanging out at Tulane is saw this a lot) DO school are much more adventurous in there education and ready to try new things, sometimes this is good some times not so much. I have worked as a scribe for MDs and DOs in multiple fields ( EM, FM, IM, MedOnc, Peds) and the only things I ever saw they did different in philosophy was in claims only. At the end of the day what mattered most was what is the code for the procedure, can I bill for it and how long am I going to spend doing these procedure. While that may seem cold, they were all greatly moved by their patients and they cared what happened to them.

I am somewhat surprised that there has not been more activity in this forum, even with it still being early in the season. Regardless, I am excited to hear back from this school.
I think it's because secondaries haven't gone out yet. Looking forward to hearing from them too. I live ~30min away, it would be nice to be that close.

I've heard a lot of good things about this school! Can anyone tell me what the area is like?

I've heard a lot of good things about this school! Can anyone tell me what the area is like?

Upper middle class suburb. Very family friendly, lots of amenities nearby, and half an hour away from Atlanta.

My primary got released today according to AACOMAS!!

Now for the secondary!

Has anyone received a secondary yet??

I went to the admissions and they told me some specifics.
1. they are going to receive apps starting early July.
2. they will send secondaries around August
3. First interview will start on September.

Until then, nothing is going to happen

Great info, thanks!

Applied here, never been to Georgia but this seems like an awesome school and area!

This is the only school I applied to that requires a letter from pre med committee, pre med advisor, or dean and does not allow you to substitute with faculty letters. The pre med advisor at my school was new my junior year and I did not build much of a relationship with her. We met one time (she was half an hour late) and she gave me some pretty bad advice (to not retake any classes and that too bad I am not a minority because then I could get in). I kept her updated on my progress over the next year but my emails often went unanswered. I asked her for a letter for this one school and she sent me a very rude reply saying that it would be compromising her integrity to write me a letter since she doesn't know me. I am livid. I could ask the dean of the college but I wouldn't even know which dean to ask, and I have never met any of them personally. Does anyone know if they will let me get a letter from my academic advisor instead of my pre med advisor? I can't believe that despite it being her job to write us letters she told me no. I honestly think its because she does not think I will get in (I have a 3.3/26 pending retake), she thinks everyone needs a 3.5+/30+ to be competitive, I don't think she knows anything about DO school.

@thegreatjasby, unless they've changed requirements, you don't need a letter from your dean or med advisor. I only submitted 3 lors which sufficed for the past cycle.

@thegreatjasby, unless they've changed requirements, you don't need a letter from your dean or med advisor. I only submitted 3 lors which sufficed for the past cycle.
Basing this information off the AACOM handbook, hoping you're right!

Thank you!

Perhaps you have heard of AT Still? Its not just a school in Missouri. ... Ha all kidding aside. There was a time when MD and DO where very different but not anymore. DO still retains a bit of its past (OMT) but for the grand majority of DO they do the exact same job the exact same way. Really the only big difference between the two is resources. With most MD schools being older and having way more money most can hire stronger staff but are way slower to change a problem. ( Hanging out at Tulane is saw this a lot) DO school are much more adventurous in there education and ready to try new things, sometimes this is good some times not so much. I have worked as a scribe for MDs and DOs in multiple fields ( EM, FM, IM, MedOnc, Peds) and the only things I ever saw they did different in philosophy was in claims only. At the end of the day what mattered most was what is the code for the procedure, can I bill for it and how long am I going to spend doing these procedure. While that may seem cold, they were all greatly moved by their patients and they cared what happened to them.

Rather than take your word for it, I would recommend that interested DO applicants read the official publication and shadow/interview an actual osteopathic physician (you'll need a letter anyway) : http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/Documents/Brief-Guide-to-OME_Final.pdf

This is the only school I applied to that requires a letter from pre med committee, pre med advisor, or dean and does not allow you to substitute with faculty letters. The pre med advisor at my school was new my junior year and I did not build much of a relationship with her. We met one time (she was half an hour late) and she gave me some pretty bad advice (to not retake any classes and that too bad I am not a minority because then I could get in). I kept her updated on my progress over the next year but my emails often went unanswered. I asked her for a letter for this one school and she sent me a very rude reply saying that it would be compromising her integrity to write me a letter since she doesn't know me. I am livid. I could ask the dean of the college but I wouldn't even know which dean to ask, and I have never met any of them personally. Does anyone know if they will let me get a letter from my academic advisor instead of my pre med advisor? I can't believe that despite it being her job to write us letters she told me no. I honestly think its because she does not think I will get in (I have a 3.3/26 pending retake), she thinks everyone needs a 3.5+/30+ to be competitive, I don't think she knows anything about DO school.
you should check their website before posting as things changed since last cycle

I checked the handbook, I thought that was current
If you check the CIB from AACOM is also says the materials are due March 15, but it is now March 1. AACOM always says to check with the school as they can changes dates as needed and change their requirements. Can make for an interesting application season

Got a secondary!

Reactions: 2 users
Got a secondary!

Congratulations! 1 step closer!!!

PCOM-GA is my top school...do you guys think it will be possible with a 3.1-3.2 science gpa?? (i'm still waiting for a verfied gpa)

Congratulations! 1 step closer!!!

PCOM-GA is my top school...do you guys think it will be possible with a 3.1-3.2 science gpa?? (i'm still waiting for a verfied gpa)

I interviewed here last year with a 3.2 overall and a 3.3 sci and a 28 so I'd say yeah :) good luck!

Can anyone post the prompt(s)? Thank you :)

The only prompt is:

Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO.

Just received the secondary! Anyone know about the reputation of PCOM-Georgia Campus compared to other DO schools?

Last edited: