Philippine Diaspora and Health Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh well.. Here we go again..

----
"PINOYS DYING FROM LACK OF DOCTORS

Monday, August 11, 2008; The Philippine Star

With the growing global demand for physicians and other health workers, medical doctors in the country continue to dwindle in number and are fast becoming a rare breed.

In fact, seven out of 10 sick Filipinos die untreated due to the acute lack of doctors in the country, former health secretary Jaime Galvez-Tan disclosed yesterday.

Tan said the country's health care delivery system is now nearing collapse as the shortage of doctors has persisted for decades.

"Our health care system is collapsing and in some areas, particularly in urban communities, has collapsed," Tan told The STAR.

He noted that 21 municipalities and seven government hospitals in Western Samar as well as all the five municipalities of Sulu have no doctors.

"There are 120 municipalities nationwide at this time without doctors. The figure was down from the 271 doctorless municipalities but just the same that's 120 municipalities and many people are living there," he pointed out.

In 1992, Tan said the Department of Health (DOH) launched the "Doctors to the Barrio" program in an effort to fill up the 271 municipalities.

Sixteen years later, Tan said, the DOH's program hardly succeeded in deploying health care professionals to the country's doctorless municipalities.

He admitted that the widening demand for doctors in various developed countries is further worsening the doctors' shortage.

"Foreign countries like Finland and France that were not recruiting doctors before are now offering $6,000 salaries for physicians and we cannot match that," Tan said.

A growing number of Filipino doctors are also studying again to become nurses so they could easily go abroad.

Citing data from the Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC), Tan said that 10,000 doctors have become nurses and 99 percent passed the licensure examination.

"Of the 10,000 doctors who became nurses, 6,000 have already left for abroad," he said.

To further compound the situation, Tan said that fewer young Filipinos are now taking up medicine due to high cost of education.

"From 30,000 two years ago, the number of medical students are now down to 1,500. So we could just imagine how many will remain by 2012," he said.

According to Tan, many Filipino would actually choose to stay in the country over the lure of high-paying jobs but the lack of support from the government drives them away.

"They would want to stay and treat people here, but government hospitals do not have the necessary facilities and it's very frustrating for them," he explained.

For this year, Tan said, the government allocated 50 centavos for every Filipino's health care, which is not even enough to buy a tablet of painkiller.

He urged the government to come out with appropriate measures that would require Filipino doctors to stay in the country.

"While other countries are in need of doctors, the Philippines should not suffer for it. Thus, if developed countries would hire Filipino doctors, they should replenish them by providing training to those who are here," Tan said.

He added that medical graduates of state universities should also be required to serve in the country before going abroad.

"Starting next year, those who are entering medical course at the University of the Philippines and are set to graduate in 2018 are required to stay and serve here for three years," Tan said.

He also expressed confidence that with programs honoring the few patriotic doctors, more medical experts would opt to stay and serve in remote areas.

To celebrate its 75th foundation year, UP's Phi Kappa Mu Fraternity is mounting the first search for hero doctors.

Dubbed "Diamonds in the Rough," the national search for young doctors in community setting aims to highlight the heroism of Filipino doctors amid the lure of overseas employment and recent scandals that tainted the medical sector.

Speaking before the launching of the Search, Sen. Richard Gordon doctors serving in far-flung communities must be given recognition.

"There are less and less doctors in the field and they have become a rare breed," Gordon said, adding that as mayor he had difficulty filling up vacancies in government hospitals.

He also pledged to work on a proposed measure that would provide higher financial benefits and bring doctors back in communities. Fraternity alumni association president Dr. Manuel Chiaco said that with the project they hope to give exemplary model for today's youth.

"On our 75th year, we felt not just celebrating, but also honor those who are working in distant communities that are so remote that their works are practically unheard of," Chiaco said.

With Philippine STAR as one of the partners, Phi Kappa Mu superior exemplar Vincent Varilla said the search would have three major award categories - Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.

Qualified to join are licensed doctors below 40 years who have actively served the community for five years and have not been recognized by other award giving bodies.

A screening committee will select nine finalists from all the nominees and elevate them to the final evaluation committee, who will select winners from Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao.

The three winners will receive P100,000 worth of prizes to be given during the awarding rites in December. – Mayen Jaymalin
----

how sad...

the Philippine Physicians' Licensure Exams have started this past weekend. after the results come out & after they state the Hippocratic Oath at the oath-taking ceremonies, i wonder how many of them will stay here to serve his/her fellowmen.

Members don't see this ad.

my mentors in medschool are both GP and tireless community physicians. i guess their stories have somehow influenced me to build this strong perception of what i would ideally want for my future life as a Philippine-licensed physician. :D

One of the mentors I referred to before is Dr. Jimmy Galvez-Tan... the one mentioned in that article. He is truly inspiring.

Right now, I will be taking MLE in the hope of following my parents' wishes. :( But, I am still not closing my doors on an opportunity in our country.

Right now, I will be taking MLE in the hope of following my parents' wishes. :( But, I am still not closing my doors on an opportunity in our country.

That's such a cop-out.

At what age do you plan to enter adulthood? Take the MLE and chase the money or stay and help our country. But don't blame your parents. Stand up and take responsibility for your own actions.

Cory is rolling over in her grave, (and I'm laughing my ass off). :laugh:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
i believe it would be useless to explain my reasons for choosing MLE then, since Saipan seems to find so much delight in mockery. good for you, dude. :D

on topic once more, i tried re-reading the posts here and it seems most of the opinions shared have been of doctors who chose "the greener pastures", so to speak.

what can you say about this:
Top 4 Physicians of Aug 2009 Wants to Serve the Country

i wouldn't be surprised if you called BS on what they said... :cool:

I knew a lot of doctors opting to stay. It's just a personal choice. I'm beginning to see the tide turn and doubt that shortage of doctors will come. There is a severe mushrooming of nursing schools and there is an oversupply of nurses. If the government is really sincere they can increase the volume of NARS program to the countyside. With no visas in the US, a lot are going to med school. A lot of the speculation and guessing game does not relate well to actual situation on the ground.

edited

Last edited:
10% of the Filppinos live outside the country, last year their remittances added up to 16 Billion dollars. And this kind of money is going in year after year. Which makes me wonder where is all this money going?

This amount of money has only flowed in recently and it gets spent on the food, medical care, housing, and education of those left behind.

During the 70's and 80's Philippines was the crowning jewel of ASEAN , now it is the sick man of ASEAN. what happened between then and now?

This is just blatantly false. The 70's and 80's were the Marcos years. During this period countries like Singapore, Malaysia, and Thailand laid down the basis for the economies they enjoy today. Other countries were held back by the US involvement in SE Asia. As soon as the B-52s stopped flying overhead and trade barriers lifted, these countries, while still poor, boomed.

If you look at the society of philppines it should work perfectly, well educated hard working, family oriented and mostly english speaking population with exposure to outside world.

You need to look deeper. The Philippines is a desperately class-ridden society, dominated by rich families, some of whom are leftover since Spanish times. It is a country with a dysfunctional legal system fighting two insurgencies, and is divided by language, religion, and geography, where one million of the most valuable citizens leave each year, leaving behind a population seemingly incapable of real political change.:)

Last edited:
edited

Last edited:
i believe it would be useless to explain my reasons for choosing MLE then, since Saipan seems to find so much delight in mockery. good for you, dude. :D

on topic once more, i tried re-reading the posts here and it seems most of the opinions shared have been of doctors who chose "the greener pastures", so to speak.

what can you say about this:
Top 4 Physicians of Aug 2009 Wants to Serve the Country

i wouldn't be surprised if you called BS on what they said... :cool:

i hope they keep they word.

And you claim that the doctors are not paid enough.

I made no such claim.

I paid 70,000 pesos in st luke's and 40,000 to the OBGyn for the delivery of my wife.

You choose that hospital. Why are you surprised that one of the most exclusive hospitals in the Philippines is expensive. You are naive.

There are many cheaper hospitals in Manila. If you think St Luke's is too expensive, then get your medical care at another hospital. Be an informed consumer.