Philly programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sscooterguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm doing some away rotations in Philadelphia and applying this fall (My girlfriend is a resident there). Can any one tell me a little about the programs they are familiar with? Hopefully specifics including how many residents each year, how many "regular" vs resident +1 yr of research, atmosphere, program strengths and weaknesses, new faculty, old faculty leaving, any specific resident selection criteria that you are sure of, etc. I know some of this info is available on Freida, but I've also come to find out Freida can be inaccurate and way off in some cases. I apprecate any input.

Here are the programs I know of in Philly:
UPenn
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel/MCP
Temple
Albert Einstein

Thanks.
sscooterguy

Members don't see this ad.

I know a little about Jefferson's program. They are taking 8 a year and as of now it is still a 5 year program. The atmosphere is work your tail off 80 hours be damned for 2 years then operate and never see an inpatient again for 3 years. If you can put up with the first 2 years the next 3 are quite possibly worth the wait. Staff is renowned regionally in major joint and nationally/worldwide in spine. Residents are friendly and medical students are everpresent accessories for your first 2 years. Other comments out there about Jeff?

Thanks Hammena1. Anyone else have any insite into the mentioned programs? Any info would help.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've heard good things about jeff. i know quite a few residents there. crazy fast turnover. i'm not sure how the resident experience is, but the residents i know are great people. and happy. and the attendings are great and real machines when it comes to volume.

so (as a gen surg person) i think it's a good deal. particularly if you're focused on philly. the rothman is nice. marble. big bucks. and big volume.

but penn is good too. have some friends there as well. different feel, different focus. very different programs. but both good.

Jeff is excellent and seems to be highly sought after in the Philly area.

Wish I could help more. Good luck! :)