Phlebotomist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keberson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm trying to find a job since the one I have doesn't have enough hours for me to live off of and pay for all these lovely application fees. I'm already an EMT but I want to work at a hospital (sick of EMS trucks) but most of them want a Phlebotomist or a CNA or something else.

should I use my time and money to take this $500/240hr course or just shoot to get a job with just the EMT

Members don't see this ad.

I would try to find another job to work at as an EMT. keep trying!!! If you are applying in this cycle and going to a phlebotomy class, are you going to be able to take the time off from class for the interviews? (this is only bad if you are still in school during interview season).

I say do what ever you like best or will enjoy doing for a whole year while you apply. Phlebotomist sounds fun and interesting and will give you a heads up on giving patients injections. By the way what is a CNA? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
CNA: certified nursing assistant. and being a phlebotomist is actually a cool job if you can stand to see blood all day. you are also going to be a pin cushion in school so get ready, because if you don't let classmates stick you, then you won't stick them. that's the rule we had in my class. good luck and enjoy!!!

Becoming a certified phleb is an arduous task because it requires having already had 50-100 patient contact hours. Thus, most phlebotomists aren't certified, because how can you get the training unless you work w/o the certification? And then once you're working, what's the point in getting the cert? It doesn't raise your salary. Therefore, most phlebs that work in hospitals actually aren't licensed. You can get a job as a phleb pretty easily and most places will train you. It's good practice for med school and residency scut, and you'll have an easier time learning to place IV's if you are good with venipuncture.

Some hospitals will train you while you work. I believe the course you would take would give some kind of national recognition. Most hospitals do not require this; just experience. You may not need the class depending on the employer. Best of Luck

thanks for the advice
I know about that whole working without a cert thing...i worked as a CNA when I wasn't a CNA for a long time....you don't really need too much training to learn to chang bedsheets, you know? I got the job though because I knew sombody on the "indside' so I guess that doesn't count. The phleb thing, yeah I need training.
do'nt have 500 dollars to...i guess there is my answer
thanks for the help, though

thanks for the useful info. do you think someone who just finished their first year of med school would have the skills necessary to be a phlebotomist? it's actually something i think i'd like to do next summer, since one of my big passions is encouraging people to donate blood.

stinkycheese said:
Becoming a certified phleb is an arduous task because it requires having already had 50-100 patient contact hours. Thus, most phlebotomists aren't certified, because how can you get the training unless you work w/o the certification? And then once you're working, what's the point in getting the cert? It doesn't raise your salary. Therefore, most phlebs that work in hospitals actually aren't licensed. You can get a job as a phleb pretty easily and most places will train you. It's good practice for med school and residency scut, and you'll have an easier time learning to place IV's if you are good with venipuncture.

Keberson said:
Hey guys. I'm trying to find a job since the one I have doesn't have enough hours for me to live off of and pay for all these lovely application fees. I'm already an EMT but I want to work at a hospital (sick of EMS trucks) but most of them want a Phlebotomist or a CNA or something else.

should I use my time and money to take this $500/240hr course or just shoot to get a job with just the EMT

Get a job with the EMT in a hospital, and talk them into training you.

BTW, my local CC offers the course for a LOT less than that - like $45 or so.

mlw03 said:
thanks for the useful info. do you think someone who just finished their first year of med school would have the skills necessary to be a phlebotomist? it's actually something i think i'd like to do next summer, since one of my big passions is encouraging people to donate blood.

Sure you could learn. I have been doing phlebotomy ever since I graduated college two years ago and I am not even in medical school yet. Anyone can do it if you have a steady hand and enjoy working with people- also a calming personality for the fainters.

You don't need to dole out money for a training class -- just express an interest in learning and someone will hire and train you.

I also think it is an excellent idea for future docs to work with and as allied health professionals at some point in their career. It makes you realy appreciate how much the medical assistants and phlebotomists deal with every day!

I work as a Phlebotomist at the local hospital. I have a great job because I get to learn pt. interaction by observing m.d./rn's with pt. and then learning my own style of dealing with pts. My training was completely shadowing/hands on w/out certification. My boss was telling me training of a new phlebotomist is equivalent to one year's worth of salary or something along those lines.

It seems as though there is a bit of confusion on what a phlebot actually does, so here's a quick job description: I perform venipuncture sticks on the pt. and heel sticks for babies under 6mo. Above 6mo and we have perform venipunctures on them as well. I do not place in an I.V.--that is either the EMS or RN's job to do so. I also draw arterial blood gas--basically needle stick of the radial artery. Usually this is something respiratory therapy does but my hospital has us do those.

Sometimes my job can be a pain in the ass because you have pts. who can't understand the concept of managing food intake and weigh in around 400 pounds--all those layers of fat certainly don't help for blood draws. And then you have the cancer pt. going through chemo in which their veins diminish considerably---and then you have the pt. experience I had yesterday of trying to draw blood from a 90 year old combative patient. The CNA had to keep his right arm down so he wouldn't hit me while i held his left arm between my knees.

Speaking of CNA, this is what I observe their job descrption to be at the hospital. CNA's do the scut work of all scut works. They take pt. vitals, transport patients, empty out pt. commode(s), empty the foley catheter, bed sheet changes (especially after a pt. either vomited or peed on theirselves), feed pt, you get the idea.

To be a CNA, you need to have certification--usually the local CC will offer an intensive 2 week course to become certified. But right now it's pretty difficult to get into the class to be certified; last I heard they even had a waitlist for CNA programs around the city.

One of my best friend's works as a CNA at my hospital so sometimes during blood draws I'll follow her into pt. rooms and such. You have to have the patience of a saint and the heart of a servant to work this job.

I hope this gives you a better understanding of the two jobs.

How about an EMT technician? EMT techs are employed in hospital ERs and are a part of support staff team at the ER. And some hospitals offer very flexible hours. For example, some hospitals require 20hr/wk (2-10hr shifts per week) or 24hr/wk (3-8hr shifts). It all depends on your schedule and most hospitals are willing to schedule you around your classes, study time etc. If you are thinking about being a phlebotomist... just know you will have to take a class and perform 60-100 successful sticks before getting certified (in some states). In the CNA job, you may learn only a little depending on where you work. If you work in acute care settings, you will have an opportunity to learn a lot. Thats usually not the case in convalescent homes. I know in California, there are not that many CNA jobs in acute care settings due to decrease in nurse to patient ratios. So the job availablity will depend on your location too.

thanks stinkycheese for recognizing the hard work of medical assitants!! Yes we do go through alooot, and you must have the spirit of serving and patience to get through the days of stress. Its a wonderful career and much rewarding. :love:

Are there any plasma collection centers in your area? I'm not a phlebotomist, but I have donated plasma twice a week for the last 2 years, so I've gotten to know the phlebotomists quite a bit. I actually thought about working there, but then I wouldn't have been able to donate too. I'm pretty sure that they do their own training program, but it probably varies among the centers. But if a hospital requires an expensive class, this might be another option. However, I know some of them require a minimum of 25 hours/week.

Keberson,

I agree w/ Preet's idea, as far as getting a job as an ER tech. I've worked in several EDs as an RN (still do pick up a shift or 2 a month during med school) and I can tell you there are many EMTs that work in EDs as techs. They get to do a wide variety of things - from phlebotomy (sometimes IV starts, depends on the hospital and level of training) to foley cath insertion to NG tubes, etc. Of course, there's the ever-present possibility of a code and then you get to pump on someone's chest.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Jonethan De.