Should I take a summer job as a phlebotomist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pamp

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
An urgent care in my hometown is in search of someone short term (2 month period) for a phlebotomy position. My home state doesn't require certification for phlebotomy, and the job description says no experience required and they provide training. I want clinical experience and I feel as if this is a good opportunity, but I'm not sure if med schools will frown upon it since its only a short period and i dont have the certification. Are those valid concerns?

Members don't see this ad.

I definitely think it’s a great opportunity. You would not only get new skills and clinical experience, but it shows that you really rose to the occasion during a time of need and you never know what other opportunities this job could open up for you down the road!

Reactions: 1 user
An urgent care in my hometown is in search of someone short term (2 month period) for a phlebotomy position. My home state doesn't require certification for phlebotomy, and the job description says no experience required and they provide training. I want clinical experience and I feel as if this is a good opportunity, but I'm not sure if med schools will frown upon it since its only a short period and i dont have the certification. Are those valid concerns?
Summer jobs tend to be of brief duration, so that's not an issue. If you are legally able to perform the job in your state, a lack of official certification isn't a problem.

Since they provide training (and probably oversight & backup) I agree, it's a good opportunity.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Heck yeah. Why would anyone look down on you getting some summer bread? If for some reason it turns into a multi summer thing, it looks even better.

Get in there and get your feet wet and learn some skills!

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Thanks to all the responses for the advice! I truly appreciate it!

Honestly, as long as this job does not interfere with anything else you have going on I highly recommend taking the phlebotomy position for the patient interaction and also to learn how to draw blood. It's a skill that a lot of people are surprisingly not good at. A few months should be more than sufficient time to get the required exposure to make the experience "stick" with you.

Another benefit to learning phlebotomy is that it is easy to pick up an occasional shift during med school, when you may need some extra cash.