Phlebotomy as clinical exposure?

Started by aufish
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

aufish

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was recently offered an interview for a phlebotomy position at a blood donation clinic I often volunteer at. I am excited to have the chance at working with them because they are an amazing team and I have been interested in getting more clinical exposure, but I have been reading through some people's opinions online and the consensus seems mixed.

Would you consider a paid phlebotomy position at a blood clinic as clinical hours for an application?

Thanks! 🙂
 
I was recently offered an interview for a phlebotomy position at a blood donation clinic I often volunteer at. I am excited to have the chance at working with them because they are an amazing team and I have been interested in getting more clinical exposure, but I have been reading through some people's opinions online and the consensus seems mixed.

Would you consider a paid phlebotomy position at a blood clinic as clinical hours for an application?

Thanks! 🙂
This is major league clinical exposure!!!!
 
I was recently offered an interview for a phlebotomy position at a blood donation clinic I often volunteer at. I am excited to have the chance at working with them because they are an amazing team and I have been interested in getting more clinical exposure, but I have been reading through some people's opinions online and the consensus seems mixed.

Would you consider a paid phlebotomy position at a blood clinic as clinical hours for an application?
I have a slightly different opinion from @Goro. I agree that this is a great experience, but I think that the categorization is not as clear-cut.

I personally would not fault an applicant for labeling this as a clinical activity since you are performing a clinical task. However, an important distinction is that the people who you are phlebotomizing are not patients; they are otherwise well donors. The point of having clinical experiences is to show that you have been exposed to the sick, suffering, and/or dying. Being at a blood donation clinic does not give you this experience. Because of this, I see this volunteering as being somewhere between a 'clinical' and 'non-clinical' activity.

You should also have other more 'traditional' clinical experiences in which you are interacting with actual patients by the time you apply. Just my thoughts.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a slightly different opinion from @Goro. I agree that this is a great experience, but I think that the categorization is not as clear-cut.

I personally would not fault an applicant for labeling this as a clinical activity since you are performing a clinical task. However, an important distinction is that the people who you are phlebotomizing are not patients; they are otherwise well donors. The point of having clinical experiences is to show that you have been exposed to the sick, suffering, and/or dying. Being at a blood donation clinic does not give you this experience. Because of this, I see this volunteering as being somewhere between a 'clinical' and 'non-clinical' activity.

You should also have other more 'traditional' clinical experiences in which you are interacting with actual patients by the time you apply. Just my thoughts.
Thank you for the insight! I am in the process of being approved to volunteer at a local hospice, but I have been having trouble finding a traditional clinical position such as a CNA/PCT or scribe so I was hoping this would give me some transferrable skills to make myself more marketable in the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to help me out-- I appreciate it 🙂
 
I have a slightly different opinion from @Goro. I agree that this is a great experience, but I think that the categorization is not as clear-cut.

I personally would not fault an applicant for labeling this as a clinical activity since you are performing a clinical task. However, an important distinction is that the people who you are phlebotomizing are not patients; they are otherwise well donors. The point of having clinical experiences is to show that you have been exposed to the sick, suffering, and/or dying. Being at a blood donation clinic does not give you this experience. Because of this, I see this volunteering as being somewhere between a 'clinical' and 'non-clinical' activity.

You should also have other more 'traditional' clinical experiences in which you are interacting with actual patients by the time you apply. Just my thoughts.
Thanks for the insight! I appreciate the time and effort you put into helping us out on these forums! You have doubtlessly influenced thousands of people's fates 🙂