Phone Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caterpillar haven

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys answer the phone in a retail setting? I had a recent visit by the BOP and they pointed out that you have to say your name and title so the customer knows who they're talking to. Until this point I thought it was mostly a preference and there were no legal details behind how I could answer the phone. I would rather leave my phone intro brief such as "Hi, X pharmacy, how can we help you" because it's straight to the point and in a way separates the customer from developing any rapport or connection with me. In this way I feel like they shouldn't feel privileged under special circumstances or exceptions because we've developed a "relationship" once they get to know you on a first name basis. I've seen other pharmacists spend too much time interacting with the same patients because they feel entitled , but I would rather have customers see me as distant so they don't expect anything from me outside of our normal responsibilities. What do you guys think? And are there legal guidelines to how we answer the phone?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
The board says a lot of things, find the section of the law that goes over phone etiquette in your state. (hint: it doesn't exist)

Reactions: 5 users
Your BOP likes to make things up

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
location, first name, generic how can I help you? Feel like saying title would just lead to a bunch of unnecessary requests to speak to RPh because of the whole entitlement thing (mostly referring to the older folks...you know, the ones who think only RPh can process refills, send requests, other simple tech tasks, etc.).

Screen calls/prioritize...customers should not be in a position to waste the time/resource of RPh

Thanks for calling XXX pharmacy. How can I help you?

I've been out of retail for a few years, but I have never answered the phone at any job with anything other than "pharmacy, (first name)."

How do you guys answer the phone in a retail setting? I had a recent visit by the BOP and they pointed out that you have to say your name and title so the customer knows who they're talking to. Until this point I thought it was mostly a preference and there were no legal details behind how I could answer the phone. I would rather leave my phone intro brief such as "Hi, X pharmacy, how can we help you" because it's straight to the point and in a way separates the customer from developing any rapport or connection with me. In this way I feel like they shouldn't feel privileged under special circumstances or exceptions because we've developed a "relationship" once they get to know you on a first name basis. I've seen other pharmacists spend too much time interacting with the same patients because they feel entitled , but I would rather have customers see me as distant so they don't expect anything from me outside of our normal responsibilities. What do you guys think? And are there legal guidelines to how we answer the phone?
Read the laws if you have a chance for your state. Sounds like overzealous inspector to me.

What state are you in?

If it's not in the pharmacy regs or a bop policy they aren't going to talk to you about this. I have worked in states that require name badge, some require a license number. Personally my pet peeve is when another pharmacist calls and states they are walmart, Walgreens calling without identifying themselves. Then I have to pull their name out of them.

I never state my name, but always state that I’m a pharmacist so I can avoid the “can I talk to a pharmacist” question

You must be in Oklahoma. They're the only state that I'm aware of that regulates how pharmacy employees are allowed to answer the phone.

535:15-3-2 section e3 states that all pharmacy interns, technicians, and clerks must identify themselves as such on any phone calls initiated or received while performing pharmacy functions

i just say X pharmacy. bare bare minimum so they at least know they've reached the pharmacy and not another department. but still a few times a day, they will ask, is this the pharmacy? good lord. lol

Phone etiquette? How about these customers screaming and swearing at me cuz their pain meds are not ready yet? lol
I never say anything more than "XX pharmacy. How can I help you?"

I never state my name, but always state that I’m a pharmacist so I can avoid the “can I talk to a pharmacist” question
This is a lie. I answer every phone call with "This is the pharmacist" and I estimate that at least 25% of the time the immediate response is "can I speak to the pharmacist". :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
The board itself has the same utility as a toothache. Incompetent and useless and just there to take money... in bed with abusive and oppressive employers.

Reactions: 2 users
The board says a lot of things, find the section of the law that goes over phone etiquette in your state. (hint: it doesn't exist)
AZ does. You can’t refuse giving your true licensing name or use a nickname that does not clearly identify you. You may not impersonate another person especially if not at the same licensing level.

OK also has a specific law that the license number may not be refused if requested.

This is a lie. I answer every phone call with "This is the pharmacist" and I estimate that at least 25% of the time the immediate response is "can I speak to the pharmacist". :rofl:
nurses not listening? color me surprised!

me: I see this is a new admit. I will send this pain med as a STAT
nurse: OK BUT CAN I GET THIS AS A STAT?

Reactions: 2 users
nurses not listening? color me surprised!

me: I see this is a new admit. I will send this pain med as a STAT
nurse: OK BUT CAN I GET THIS AS A STAT?
OMG this. Yes.

Also what is with saying “I have one more” when they really have many more?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
If you work for a chain, your BOP inspector is essentially just a paid extension of your employer. I'm surprised they didn't go over your dress code as well.... State boards on the take from the large chains certainly can't claim that they're "unbiased entities", especially if they're preaching "phone etiquette" which is really just corporate policy. At least they're now acknowledging who their real masters are.....LOL

Sounds like an inspector with a GED and a power trip

• Haha
I don't mention my name either. Probably, pretty rare in the district coz DL gets all pissed if people aren't saying their names. Not like I care too much 😂